Thread: Best Single Vision

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Best Single Vision

So i got a customer asking a for really good lens without any distortion I know the essilor might work but he's really sensitive to distortion even a minor distortion would bother beacause he's had a hockey injury I just wanted to find out what the best lens you would recommend and his Rx is roughly -4.00 without any cyl.

Thanks!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Seiko Super MV Free Form.

Information can be found here:

http://seikoeyewear.com/seiko/product.cfm?prodID=12

I've got a pair (OD -5.50 -0.75x031; OS -6.75 -0.75x165) and the peripherial vision at the farthest edge of the lens is just as clear as looking through the optical center.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't have a pair of the Seiko MVs yet, but just today I received my new Shamir Auto II SV lenses (1.74 w/ Carat), and compared to my Seiko 1.74 stock lenses, they are fantastic. Much better away from the OC, and I think they're even sharper straight ahead. Rx is OD -7.25 -1.00 x027, OS -6.00 -2.50 x177.
    Bryan Finley, Florida Board Certified Licensed Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The Shamir are also excellent, just that the Seiko's are significantly less expensive.

ALL Free Form single vision have very little, if any distortion, especially in the lower power ranges. I believe only Seiko and Shamir have Free Form Single Vision in the US. I don't know about the rest of the world.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    essilor and zeiss also offer FF SV

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by charan View Post
    So i got a customer asking a for really good lens without any distortion I know the essilor might work but he's really sensitive to distortion even a minor distortion would bother beacause he's had a hockey injury I just wanted to find out what the best lens you would recommend and his Rx is roughly -4.00 without any cyl.

Thanks!
    Just my two cents, but an aspheric -4.00 stock lens from a good manufacturer should do just fine. In SV freeform, you get the best results with high cylinder RX's. The differences aren't quite as apparent in spherical RX's.

If he's had an eye injury and is working on one good eye, you might consider Trivex for his own safety.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Don't know if it's available in the US, but you could try a Tokai Bi-aspheric lens. It's not even a FF SV I think, but if I compare them to a Zeiss FF SV of same Rx, they're clearer :hammer:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I wear a -4.25 w/ little cyl. so of course I'm a snotty, picky contact lens wearing myope. I tried the Ziess SV Individual and loved it. I have no distortion in my lenses. I haven't worn my glasses this much ever.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by charan View Post

Thanks!
    Short answer- multicoated crown glass.

If by distortion you mean minification and barrel, then there's not much you can due except for fitting close and using flatter, aspheric BCs. If you mean focal defects that cause blur, like power error, oblique astigmatism, or chromatic aberration, then using high Abbe materials and best form BCs will provide the best image. At a power of -4.00 DS, power errror and astigmatism should be very low if the lenses are designed, positioned, and fabricated properly.

The best possible off-axis vision, if your willing to spend a lot more money to reduce .25 DC of marginal astigmatism, would be a Rx/POW optimized FBS lens in crown glass or CR39 (Trivex if the wearer isn't hypersensitive).
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You might want to investigate HOYA Nulux EP.
    RT

Thread Information