Florida State Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida State Board

I am intrested in taking the Florida state board exam. I am NYS licensed.
    Does anyone know where I can get a homestudy course for their computerized exam? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Suresh

I don't know of a study course geared specifically for the FL board exam. The exam isn't very difficult if you are a competent optician.

When I got my license in 1994, the hardest part of the test was the section about Florida laws and rules. I understand now they don't test on the law, they just require that you attend a class on it.

Just review the basics and you'll do fine.

Professional Opticians of Florida does offer a review class a couple of weeks before the exam if you wish to attend. A link to the schedule is below.

Good luck.

Gary

Comment

As far as I know, Florida still does not reciprocity with any other states. Therefore you would have to complete and apprenticeship or obtain a degree from a board approved school to sit for the Florida exam.

Some of this may have changed, so please correct me if this is wrong.
      UFRICH:cheers:

Comment

Here's the relevant section of the Florida statutes.

Any person desiring to practice opticianry shall apply to the department to take a licensure examination. The department shall examine each applicant who the board certifies:
        • Has completed the application form and remitted a nonrefundable application fee and an examination fee;
        • Is not less than 18 years of age;
        • Is a graduate of an accredited high school or possesses a certificate of equivalency of a high school education; and
        • Has completed one of the following:
          • Received an associate degree, or equivalent, in opticianry from an accredited school; or
          • Is licensed to practice opticianry in another state and has actively practiced in such state for more than 3 of the last 5 years; or
          • Has actively practiced opticianry in another state for more than 5 of the last 7 years and provides tax or business records documenting such; or
          • Has registered as an apprentice with the department and completed 6,240 hours of training under supervision of a Florida licensed optician, optometrist or physician. These requirements must be met within 5 years after the date of registration.
        Also: Prior to applying to take the Florida Opticianry Licensure Examination you must successfully pass the National Opticianry Competency Examination and the Contact Lens Registry Examination through the American Board of Opticianry and National Contact Lens Examiners

Comment

Thanks for the update. Been awhile since I needed to know that rule.
          UFRICH:cheers:

Comment

Thanks very much for the info!

Comment

Still did not get around to taking the exam yet, but I am planning to take it this time around. Has anyone taken it recently? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Comment

Already hold NYS license,ABO,NCLE. What is my next step for Florida Optical Board?

Comment

Do some homework!

Google is your friend!

Comment

Thanks Fezz!

Comment

I took that test about 6 years ago. The computerized part was (at that time) figuring out vertex distance and slab-off.
                      Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Comment

Thank you! Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by UFRich View Post
                          As far as I know, Florida still does not reciprocity with any other states. Therefore you would have to complete and apprenticeship or obtain a degree from a board approved school to sit for the Florida exam.

Some of this may have changed, so please correct me if this is wrong.
                          you are correct that Florida does not have reciprocity with any other states. However, If your NY license is current and it has been less than 2 years you have worked in your state you are allowed to apply your license towards obtaining the FL. license. You must have your ABO and NCLE to sit for the test.

Comment

Working...
                          X