Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Allergy to frame reflection

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen26 View Post
    It was hard for me to keep a straight face! He wants a new plastic frame. But them I am afraid he might become allergic to the color. All kidding aside, is this a valid complaint? I don't think so.
    It's a valid complaint if he's a vampire. Can he see his own reflection in the frame? If he cannot, put a wooden stake through his heart.;)

Ask if he wears a CPAP mask, for sleep apnea. That can leave lines on the face.

Think about it. the reflection from the frame changes constantly, as he moves his head. It would be impossible for two distinct lines to form.

Good luck.
    ...Just ask me...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Yes, being under the illusion that he is allergic to the AR coating is far-fetched, but did we ever stop to think that, at the end of the day, there is still something (frame/nose pads/lenses/temple covers) that is causing a reaction?

Some zyl frames, depending on where/how they were manufactured can have high amounts of nickel and lead in them, as well as a high level of petroleum in certain nose pads. Have you ever opened a case of readers, and noticed a fuel like odor?

The easy fix (attempted fix), depending on what type of lenses they are, would be to put a pair of uncoated lenses into his frame and have him wear them for a week. Sure, you're more or less just playing along w/them, but you are attempting to address the issue.(and if he's happy, he'll come back, and refer all his whacko friends to you as well.:bbg::bbg:)

In fact, why don't you offer to sell him a pair of CR-39 clear lenses. If they don't stop the "allergy", then you can always tint them, and use them for suns. If it does work, then you can still use them for suns, and strip the originals.

he states he is allergic to the (shadow) reflection of the frame. not lenses

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Strab View Post
    This could very well be an allergic reaction to the "reflection" of course by this I don't really mean reflection. What I mean is that the pt. may be allergic to one of the materials that are in the frame and he would not need to be in direct contact with the material to have a reaction. Close exposure over a long period of time is enough to cause a reaction and worsened yet if the glasses are sliding and causing direct skin to frame contact. He also would not need to be reacting everywhere the frame is located because our skin is made up of patchy spots that react differently to different things. Just as some people have dry skin, oily skin, or combination of dry and oily. In fact if this pt. has dry skin in the areas that the redness is occurring there is less of a barrier between the skin and the frame allowing more exposure to the metal.

I would do a little investigating however...Could the pt. wear his old glasses for a week to allow the skin to heal? Then try the new frame again to see if he breaks back out. If he does not heal then you know it's not the frame it's the pt:hammer:. If he does heal, it is most likely the frame and a restyle is necessary. Good luck.

Valid point if it were the case. There is no break out as much as a red line so to speak that is gone after when he doesn't wear the glasses. also the glasses sit at least 15mm off his face.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie daniels View Post
    Im thinking that the frame is hitting his cheeks at some point of wearing them, maybe when he smiles. Which would explain why the bridge isnt doing it because the bridge wouldnt touch. And the temples 90% of the time are made different from the front and later assembled so they might not be the same. Overall I mean cmon i understand we like to think people are crazy but 99% of the time if someone says somethings wrong there is if ya take the time to sit back and look at the thing. I mean if the guy is coming in with lines that match the exact curve of the frame...its somethign with his glasses.

He has stated that the frame does NOT rest on his cheeks. it is not a deep B measurement so eliminating the smiling factor. He remains adamant that it is the reflection.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    One thing we don't know is if indeed the irritation line runs exactly the same as the frame. All we were given is that the lines are straight at a 45 degree angle. Which might not be the exact same as the frame.

Ireally didn't see any lines he just described them to me. They don't seem to fall where the frame shadow does. Also the frame shadow differs throught the day, wouldn't it, depending in whre the light it situated.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen26 View Post
    Ireally didn't see any lines he just described them to me. They don't seem to fall where the frame shadow does. Also the frame shadow differs throught the day, wouldn't it, depending in whre the light it situated.

The light would be constantly shifting, yes, so it could not cause anything like that.
    If he still insists he's allergic to a reflection, I suggest going with my CDC call suggestion.:bbg:

What he's referring to is totally impossible. Otherwise he would be allergic to all light.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=colleen26;332453]He has stated that the frame does NOT rest on his cheeks. it is not a deep B measurement so eliminating the smiling factor. He remains adamant that it is the reflection.[/QUOTE]

You loose!! Re-style glasses to zyl, but not before checking current moon conditions. Start happy hour 2 hrs eary today!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seriously, don't waste your time with such displays of idiocy. Refund his money, return the frame to stock, and send a bill for the lenses to his PCP.
    Bryan Finley, Florida Board Certified Licensed Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Finney View Post
    Seriously, don't waste your time with such displays of idiocy. Refund his money, return the frame to stock, and send a bill for the lenses to his PCP.
    I agree. I think if you restyle you are just going to have the same problem. Refund and cut them loose. Also when the PCP calls asking about the bill, ask them to provide documentation from a legit medical journal saying people can have allergic reactions to reflection. After all they did cause you to lose money on this "diagnosis". They probably just told that to the patient to get them out of the PCP office.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Finney View Post
    I wouldn't give him a damn thing back. Answer lunacy with morel lunacy. When he says that he's allergic to the reflection, ask him if he wants to make that a combo, then drop on the floor in the fetal position, slober on yourself, and assume a wide eyed look like you are having a flashback. Stay in the fetal position and completely ignore your surroundings until the man gives up and goes away. Yep, I'm a problem solver.

Thread Information