Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shamir Lenses

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Shamir Lenses

The Shamir Rep just called and made an appointment for Lunch next Friday (Basically if you bring me lunch I'll listen to whatever your selling.)

What is everyones opinion of their products? Not so sure about these guys they come out of a different lab than I'm using and I'm not to crazy about the lab rep.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had good luck with their Autograph Lenses :cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    The Shamir Rep just called and made an appointment for Lunch next Friday (Basically if you bring me lunch I'll listen to whatever your selling.)

What is everyones opinion of their products? Not so sure about these guys they come out of a different lab than I'm using and I'm not to crazy about the lab rep.

My rep took me to lunch, handed me the brochures, and said, "Here you go, everythings right in here."
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had great success using the autograph 2 fixed design especially for people who have had adaption issues in the past to other PAL's. I also like this lens in the fixed design for people used to wearing R.O. glasses switching to a PAL. I do not care for the Piccolo, I have better success with Def Short for a short corridor lens. The other lens I use is the Creation, they are avail in an extended base curve selection. In general I think they have great lenses and our priced conservativly compared to other lenses on the market.
    jamie

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    My rep took me to lunch, handed me the brochures, and said, "Here you go, everythings right in here."

Jeeze...that makes my job so much more difficult. :angry:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Jeeze...that makes my job so much more difficult. :angry:
    Or, it can make you look really good, when you have the ability to share more info. about the product than the rep!

:cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Their Free Form line is one of the best. The Autograph II's are very good, and their wrap lenses work great. They also have the largest Rx range available in Free Form lenses. They do tend to be on the expensive side.

Out of curiousity, can you PM me the name of the rep coming to see you. Curious to see which one it is.

No, I don't work for Shamir, but their Free Form what the first that we started using 2 years ago, and I've met a lot of their people, both in sales and techs.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I love my Autograph II's

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOVE their products. I sell Piccolo and Creation all day, every day and have almost no complaints. I've worn Autograph and Auto II's and frankly prefer my Calligraphy's to either of them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It was a steak lunch with a couple of martini's at Ruth's Criss steak house right? We do have standards ya know.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    It was a steak lunch with a couple of martini's at Ruth's Criss steak house right? We do have standards ya know.
    Uh...no.

It was Cajun gumbo at a local joint.:o

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Uh...no.

It was Cajun gumbo at a local joint.:o
    Gumbo is good. I'm always in for a bowl or three. :bbg:
    And a Cold beer to wash it all down, of course.
    Last edited by kcount; 02-11-2010 at 06:48 PM.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They're as good as many other brands of lenses available in today's vast market. :shiner::cheers: Their rep out here was a bit too pushy for us though, and we're happy where we are. If your lab isn't broken, I'd suggest sticking with what works for you for the most part. Perhaps try a few of their lenses on a trial basis...and see what your patients response is. That's a pretty good yardstick for most practices/dispensaries. Best of luck!

OptiBoard Professional skirk1975's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Probably the best "free-from" design out there today. Great results! But, you must really learn and understand the lenses. There is more to them in order to do them correctly and get the best results. Additional measurements and design choices. If you get it, they will be great for you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by skirk1975 View Post
    Probably the best "free-from" design out there today. Great results! But, you must really learn and understand the lenses. There is more to them in order to do them correctly and get the best results. Additional measurements and design choices. If you get it, they will be great for you.
    So, it appears they provide you with all the info and the necessary fitting info required with these?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not a big fan of the "ain't broke" mentality. Seems like you might miss out on a lot of opportunities.

Anyway, as for Shamir.. Love them! Love my Rep! Love my Auto IIs!!!

We use primarily the Creation and piccolo. For those who will go Free Form, the autograph and now Auto IIs. We have never had any adaptation issues, the Auto II is one of the better priced FF lenses out there. Piccolo is very reasonable in pricing where I am at, and the Creation is competitive and still cheaper than Varilux/Zeiss.

As for the rep, I think I must have the best one. Bryan not only takes me to lunch, but he will fill me in on the latest happenings through discussion or a presentation.. not just handing me a brochure. He has even talked to a lab or two on our behalf when we had issues with VSP routing our sig choice orders (when only select labs participated) to facilities that were unable to process the orders.

I have been asked by a lab or two if we were willing to switch PAL usage for better pricing. I laughed and said no thank you.

OH! and one of the reasons is Shamir isn't being sold by online retailers!
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wear several Auto II and enjoy quite a bit. We sell 90% Shamir FF. We also do a lot with the Office II. Watch out for the plus patients. The program has a tendency to under compensate the adds. We started to bump the adds a quarter just like the old days, with some success. We have been using Expert extensively for the Shamir product. They seem to have more knowledge than our rep from Shamir.
    Don't let a billy goat guard your cabbage patch.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The rep came to see the boss this week. No lunch though, what's up with that? The lenses he is promoting are cast lenses not the Autograph or the Office or any of the others I am semi familiar with (unless these are cast am I am not aware). What do you all know of their "cast" lenses? We are primed to get off the Essilor bandwagon but don't want to have issues. Maybe the fact that the boss ordered a pair for himself to try will tell all.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    The rep came to see the boss this week. No lunch though, what's up with that? The lenses he is promoting are cast lenses not the Autograph or the Office or any of the others I am semi familiar with (unless these are cast am I am not aware). What do you all know of their "cast" lenses? We are primed to get off the Essilor bandwagon but don't want to have issues. Maybe the fact that the boss ordered a pair for himself to try will tell all.
    This has always been my Motum Operandi, I have a dear friend that owns several more pair of glasses than most for no other reason than he's a difficult fit in PAL's. If he likes them I know its a go ahead. All new design PAL voucher's go to him first.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbanting69 View Post
    I wear several Auto II and enjoy quite a bit. We sell 90% Shamir FF. We also do a lot with the Office II. Watch out for the plus patients. The program has a tendency to under compensate the adds. We started to bump the adds a quarter just like the old days, with some success. We have been using Expert extensively for the Shamir product. They seem to have more knowledge than our rep from Shamir.
    Just not a fan of Expert. something about the rep always rubs me wrong. Oh well, I suppose thats why there is Chocolate and Vanilla.

I would probably have to go with Walman if I start doing Shamir. The posts so far have been very helpful, always like hearing what others have found out about a product.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, hey, hey...Luzerne is processing Shamir in-house!!

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My reasons for using Shamir:

They have all the categories of PALs I fit:

Budget PAL = Genesis
    Premium PAL = Creation
    Short PAL = Piccolo
    Budget FF = Element
    Premium FF = Auto II
    Short FF = Auto II

They also have a few categories of Psuedo PALs:

Budget Occupational: Office
    Premium Occupational: Auto Office

They also carry specialty products that fit well:
    Wrap PAL = Auto Attitude
    Wrap SV = Attitude
    SV FF = Auto SV

Every one of the lenses listed works and works great, I have been able to switch all my "E" patients into the various shamir products with no complaints which was a big deal as a majority of patients coming into the office are currently wearing "V" products. I think this has been the greatest reason for using shamirs products, easy switch. Another plus is that shamirs FF lenses come in the most materials which means once you have decided Auto you pretty much can sell any option and know that it is available. The Element has a special place in our office, it allows our office to use upgraded technolgy at yesterdays costs. I love being able to tell my patients that I will be able to put them in a custom design for the same price that another office would put them into a molded design. My sales pitch:

"I'm gonna put you in a custom made suit for the same price the other guys charges for off the rack."

PS - Judy I use Luzerne and everythign I order come in looking flawless, the quality is tops. I also advocate anyone that sells any FF lens to check ont ehlabs reputation for quality since this is the only kind of lab you can order any FF product through.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks, I am very proud of the work our lab produces. If you to to the Shamir website and check out the labs who can provide Shamir products, you'll also see that only a small number of them are FreeForm Certified. Luzerne is one of that select group.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Certified

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Thanks, I am very proud of the work our lab produces. If you to to the Shamir website and check out the labs who can provide Shamir products, you'll also see that only a small number of them are FreeForm Certified. Luzerne is one of that select group.
    Just curious, what is Freeform Certified? and who certifies it?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Shamir isn't being sold by online retailers!..................

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post

OH! and one of the reasons is Shamir isn't being sold by online retailers!
    Being a good lens.....................should that not be the main reason to sell it ?

Thread Information