Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Clear indoors, polarized when exposed to sunlight?

  1. #1
    Master OptiBoarder rinselberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA 94086
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    2,287

    Clear indoors, polarized when exposed to sunlight?

    Interesting "gossip" on EyeOverheard.com ... how about a lens that performs like a clear lens indoors and at night, but changes into a polarized lens under the conditions when polarization is needed--as in bright sunlight?

    According to EyeOverheard.com, Transitions is planning to launch such an "animal" in 2011.

    I wonder how it would work behind the windshield of a car in bright sunlight?

    Let the baseless speculation begin!

    http://eyeoverheard.wordpress.com/20...zon/#more-7489

  2. #2
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Greatest Nation
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    7,635
    There will be plenty of residual tint, I'm sure. I already have some Trivex polarized photochromic planos in the drawer. It appears to be a regular combination of a photochromic and polarized lens.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

  3. #3
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Radcliff, ky
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    100
    i heard they were just redoing the drivewear lens to change faster and a LITTLE less color in low light conditions.

  4. #4
    Eyes eastward... Uilleann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,908
    Blog Entries
    2
    I was just gonna say - they already 'invented' Drivewear years ago! :hammer:LOL

  5. #5
    Master OptiBoarder rinselberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA 94086
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    2,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    I was just gonna say - they already 'invented' Drivewear years ago! :hammer:LOL
    No, this (what I'm saying) would be different. Because Drivewear is not ever clear and you wouldn't want to be wearing Drivewear lenses indoors or outside at night or for driving at night.

    I think this could be a significant new offering, if it is as I imagine it from the EyeOverheard.com posting.

    If it actually worked as nicely as it could work (in theory), it would be one lens that you could wear 24/7--indoors and outdoors at night or driving at night and also outdoors and driving during the day in bright sun and daylight glare conditions.

    The first thing that I don't know about it is whether it would respond to visible light or only to UV light.

  6. #6
    Eyes eastward... Uilleann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,908
    Blog Entries
    2
    I'm not buyin it - particularly from that site. :p:shiner: The concept is nice to dream about, but in practice, well.....

    I'd love to see something revolutionary come out of Younger and Transitions if they truly do have some magical lens that does all things well. But as with so many things in our world, from cars, to lawyers, to sub woofers, to stock portfolios, to combo meal menu's at your favorite fast food dive, even Trivex (shout out to you brother fezz me boyo!)...there is rarely a single 'golden bullet' that works perfectly in every possible situation. Here's to hoping we're at least moving in the right direction! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

  7. #7
    Aspiring Optiwizard DC Optix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    No, this (what I'm saying) would be different. Because Drivewear is not ever clear and you wouldn't want to be wearing Drivewear lenses indoors or outside at night or for driving at night.

    I think this could be a significant new offering, if it is as I imagine it from the EyeOverheard.com posting.

    If it actually worked as nicely as it could work (in theory), it would be one lens that you could wear 24/7--indoors and outdoors at night or driving at night and also outdoors and driving during the day in bright sun and daylight glare conditions.

    The first thing that I don't know about it is whether it would respond to visible light or only to UV light.

    The it would be dark all the time.

  8. #8
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Greatest Nation
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    7,635
    If you look at the picture, you can clearly see that it has tint and you can see the axis indentations from the embedded polarized film. I think the writer just misspoke when he said celar indoors dark out, as that is primarily referring to the Transitions part. I do not think it has no polarization indoors and is polarized outdoors. Though maybe someone has an idea where they could maybe rotate a flattened molecule to produce polarization at will. (Poor Will, everyone's always shooting at him. :D)
    In short, it's a marriage of two current technologies, not a groundbreaking new one.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

  9. #9
    Independent Owner OptiBoard Silver Supporter kcount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,696
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    If you look at the picture, you can clearly see that it has tint and you can see the axis indentations from the embedded polarized film. I think the writer just misspoke when he said celar indoors dark out, as that is primarily referring to the Transitions part. I do not think it has no polarization indoors and is polarized outdoors. Though maybe someone has an idea where they could maybe rotate a flattened molecule to produce polarization at will. (Poor Will, everyone's always shooting at him. :D)
    In short, it's a marriage of two current technologies, not a groundbreaking new one.

    Well polarization only works with color so technically it could work. The concern I see is that the polarizing film with have to be made in transitions. I'm not so sure thats a feasable product but what do I know of lens manufacturing.
    "If you don't build your dream, someone will hire you to help build theirs..."-Tony Gaskins

    So I built Prentice Optical Lab.

    Prentice Optical Lab
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    Glenview, IL
    (847) 998-4759

  10. #10
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Greatest Nation
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    7,635
    What they've done in the past is to just have the Transitions as the front wafer in the lamination/mold, not the polarized film.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

  11. #11
    Rising Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Plainfield, Illinois
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    97
    If I understand Polarization, the amount of polarization is directly related to color itensity. If the lens is clear indoors their could not be any polarization in the lens at all. While transitions darken it is not possible to suddenly make the polarization appear. Hence Gray A vs Gray C. Gray A has less polarizing effect than Gray C. What's up with this bogus claim on that website. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    Don't let a billy goat guard your cabbage patch.

  12. #12
    Rising Star
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl. USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    145

    New Transitions

    Mt transition rep told me last week that they are coming out with a transition lens that changes by sunlight not UV. She never said anything about polarized. She also said it was coming out in March.

  13. #13
    Independent Owner OptiBoard Silver Supporter kcount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,696
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by eyedude View Post
    Mt transition rep told me last week that they are coming out with a transition lens that changes by sunlight not UV. She never said anything about polarized. She also said it was coming out in March.
    The lens is called Experio. There's a web training thing happening next Thursday just go to www.experio.com/training and sign up.
    "If you don't build your dream, someone will hire you to help build theirs..."-Tony Gaskins

    So I built Prentice Optical Lab.

    Prentice Optical Lab
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    Glenview, IL
    (847) 998-4759

  14. #14
    ATO Member OptiBoard Bronze Supporter HarryChiling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Nowhereville
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    7,637
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by eyedude View Post
    Mt transition rep told me last week that they are coming out with a transition lens that changes by sunlight not UV. She never said anything about polarized. She also said it was coming out in March.
    It is the new transitions extractive. It is supposed to activate on a more broad spectrum of light. Rumor has it that it will activate in the car which should be a huge plus for those drivers out there.
    "You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing" - René Descartes

  15. #15
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Greatest Nation
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    7,635
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    It is the new transitions extractive. It is supposed to activate on a more broad spectrum of light. Rumor has it that it will activate in the car which should be a huge plus for those drivers out there.

    Kinda like New Improved Non-Polarized Drivewear?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

  16. #16
    Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    In the Middle
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    It is the new transitions extractive. It is supposed to activate on a more broad spectrum of light. Rumor has it that it will activate in the car which should be a huge plus for those drivers out there.

    If it activates with visible light then wont it be dark in any lighted enviroment?

  17. #17
    Aspiring Optiwizard DC Optix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    If it activates with visible light then wont it be dark in any lighted enviroment?

    Ditto that...don't understand how otherwise would be possible.

  18. #18
    OptiWizard OptiBoard Silver Supporter Mr. Finney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Palm Beach, FL
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    319
    My understanding is that it is just like the old XtraActive, except it doesn't have as much residual color (think Trans III vs. Trans IV).
    Bryan Finley, Florida Board Certified Licensed Dispensing Optician

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Clear polarized lens
    By MIOPE in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2009, 07:26 PM
  2. Night Vision, driving, tints, A/R/ lenses, "clear polarized" lenses & tin foil hats!
    By Uilleann in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-14-2009, 11:58 AM
  3. Clear Polarized Lenses...
    By Uncle Fester in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-26-2007, 09:17 PM
  4. Clear Polarized Lenses?
    By OpticLabRat in forum Ophthalmic Optics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-01-2005, 07:08 PM
  5. protection eyelids offer from direct sunlight
    By clear in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2002, 12:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
FEA Industries, Younger Optics, Carl Zeiss Vision, Vision Systems, Inc. and Chemistrie Eyewear