Thread: Transitions Peeling???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Transitions Peeling???

I had a patient bring in his glasses from 9/08 Creation poly transitions with carat advantage. It appears as if the AR coating is peeling however the patient just walked in from outside and the peeled area was clear, which I verified with our transitions demonstrator. Anyone ever hear of transitions peeling? Do you know could a lab strip the transitions off?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    that's funny because I just had a patient show me her poly transitions no AR, and a part of the lens is peeling. And she got them last year.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    But...but...I thought poly was simply the bestestest material EVER! How could anyone ever have any problem with a perfect material???
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Are you absolutely sure they are Transitions. Transitions is embedded in the material itself. LifeRX lenses on the other hand are garbage on a stick.

The only thing I could think of is if the customers are cleaning chemical abusers. The penetration of the Photochromic material is not all the way through. Habitual Windex or other cleaning agents may destroy the lens like any other Poly lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    But...but...I thought poly was simply the bestestest material EVER! How could anyone ever have any problem with a perfect material???
    I know I don't have as many years in as you but I've never seen Transitions delaminate on any material even poly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron N View Post
    Are you absolutely sure they are Transitions. Transitions is embedded in the material itself. LifeRX lenses on the other hand are garbage on a stick.

The only thing I could think of is if the customers are cleaning chemical abusers. The penetration of the Photochromic material is not all the way through. Habitual Windex or other cleaning agents may destroy the lens like any other Poly lens.
    The progressive is the creation Transitions are the only listed photochromic option.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    [QUOTE=k12311997;330344]I know I don't have as many years in as you but I've never seen Transitions delaminate on any material even poly./QUOTE]

I see a photochromatic poly delaminating every other week.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    I know I don't have as many years in as you but I've never seen Transitions delaminate on any material even poly.

The progressive is the creation Transitions are the only listed photochromic option.
    Don't know where the progressive comment came from.....

Transitions last year had a big problem with knock-offs....A la Ray Ben, G&G etc. They reasserted that dispensers dispense a numbered certificate with the eyewear. Maybe these peeling lenses are knock-offs used by some unscrupulous lab or a moron product buyer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Aaron N;330456]Don't know where the progressive comment came from.....

QUOTE]

this is where the progressive comment came from

I had a patient bring in his glasses from 9/08 Creation poly transitions with carat advantage. It appears as if the AR coating is peeling however the patient just walked in from outside and the peeled area was clear, which I verified with our transitions demonstrator. Anyone ever hear of transitions peeling? Do you know could a lab strip the transitions off?
    The lens markings are creation, the lab bill says transisition. We do give out the cards for the transitions, I bet I couldn't find a customer who still has theirs a week later let alone a year later.

Moving on... OK poly sucks and Transitions on poly has experienced similar problems. Does anyone know if they can be stripped with any probability of success?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone know if they can be stripped with any probability of success?

I say no. The lenses are shot. Time for a new pair.

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Negative

Can't be stripped with any success...super thick layer.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    [QUOTE=k12311997;330484]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron N View Post
    Don't know where the progressive comment came from.....

QUOTE]

this is where the progressive comment came from

The lens markings are creation, the lab bill says transisition. We do give out the cards for the transitions, I bet I couldn't find a customer who still has theirs a week later let alone a year later.

Moving on... OK poly sucks and Transitions on poly has experienced similar problems. Does anyone know if they can be stripped with any probability of success?
    Sorry I just read right past (over) the Creation part. Calm down, maybe check your sugar.

Back to chemical check....Done any asking about what the customer uses on their lenses or does for work that may break down the outer coat on the lens?

Thread Information