Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Varilux Physio Enhanced Lenses

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Lee Pruit said: To which Judy replied:

This thread is a good example of what I was referring to in the "monopoly" thread. This isn't a bash on Luzerne, but a comment on independent labs in general.

Why don't they promote more choices from non E sources?

We do, but the vast majority keep ordering the same old stuff.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I always wondered how Varilux lenses could be improved, because if you believe their advertising, they're already perfect. So how can you improve on perfection?
    Perfection +1?

I can't recall hearing them called "perfect". "Best" - sure. And best is best, until the next best comes along! ;)
    ...Just ask me...

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Why don't they promote more choices from non E sources?
    Look at the Noveau thread, Essilor has agreements in place that don't allow indy labs that carry their producst to talk another lens up over their product. Combine that with their dominating force in the market. An indy lab rep would be walking through a mine field trying to offer other manufacturers products.

What if they were to walk into this guys account:

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann
    There are *plenty* of us who use Essilor lenses, and many other large multi-national lens manufacturers products with *great* success. Simply put - they work. And very very well for many of us. They're also cheaper to some of us than just about any other option. They offer a very wide selection of lenses for a wide selection of lifestyles and vision needs. They have a killer warranty. They have some pretty amazing representation out in the field (hat tip in our Pete's general direction). Are they "perfect"? Nope. But neither is *ANY* other lens manufacturer on this little rock we call home. Misrepresent? No more than *ANY* other lens manufacturer I've ever met.

No need to be a hater! :shiner::p:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    You know he's gonna call his E rep and tell them what the lab rep said about E products. Sure he walks away with the warm and fuzzy feelings oh and they are cheaper than any other option.

Now what happens to the lab rep or the lab? So the choices are there but you need to ask.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    We do, but the vast majority keep ordering the same old stuff.
    It's like a crack addiction. I have seen many opticians blindly offer their products win, lose, or draw. I have seen from personal experience other lenses that work better. I compare them to Microsoft when tehy were buyign up competition which they are doing in the lab business. I have also heard rumors that they are opening a mega lab in Mexico and will close regional labs in the states when that lab opens. Oh and they will offer lenses direct to patients through framesdirekt.com. Can't wait to see the look on ECPs faces when their patients that were sending in thsoe Varilux Registration cards start getting mailings pushing online eyewear that will be the ultimate betrayal.

I don't order E products anymore because they are continually degrading this business to the point where the future is questionable. Very much like these economic bubble lately, it's all about the dollar now and they're burning my bridge not theirs so what's the problem.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by YrahG View Post
    Now what happens to the lab rep or the lab? So the choices are there but you need to ask.
    No, you don't need to ask, you need to listen. My "red bag of courage" is stuffed full of information of every kind on products and services we offer. However, when your shop is decorated with multiples of the same name and logo, it's a pretty sure bet that you're not really interested in something new or different. I understand because I've been there. You've spent a lot of time and effort to educate your patients on why you prefer one brand over another and it's much easier to continue down that path. It's much more difficult to explain why you've changed your mind. "Perhaps," you think, "they won't believe me or my recommendations anymore."

The products you promote should be the ones you believe in, regardless of manufacturer and that needs to be reflected in your patient literature and become a part of your conversations with your patients.

--stepping down from my "thinking independently" soapbox.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    No, you don't need to ask, you need to listen. My "red bag of courage" is stuffed full of information of every kind on products and services we offer. However, when your shop is decorated with multiples of the same name and logo, it's a pretty sure bet that you're not really interested in something new or different. I understand because I've been there. You've spent a lot of time and effort to educate your patients on why you prefer one brand over another and it's much easier to continue down that path. It's much more difficult to explain why you've changed your mind. "Perhaps," you think, "they won't believe me or my recommendations anymore."

The products you promote should be the ones you believe in, regardless of manufacturer and that needs to be reflected in your patient literature and become a part of your conversations with your patients.

Wow, that just blew my mind. I don't think I have ever looked at it from that perspective. I do however sell what I think is the best and can benefit my patients, do I have preferences sure and when ever a tie exists between two options that's where I get to excercise my preference. I think I will look at the offices literature again and make sure I am not too top heavy in any brand. I would hate to miss out on any opportunity because I am sending the wrong message.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Judy, Judy, Judy!! One of the reasons I like hanging out w/you at the UnExpo is that you are a very persuasive person, and it get's me thinking in all directions. You are also very good at sales, and have great ideas.

You know, very well, I'm sure, that a sign for a competitor's product is an invitation to sell your own. Half the battle of sales is finding out what product the potential customer uses, and then showing how yours' is better.

Also, in one of my offices, you will see no less than 3 framed prints advertising of Georgio Armani frames. I'd bet my last nickel that you won't be able to find one Armani in my office, nor does anyone every ask for them.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...What if they were to walk into this guys account:

You know he's gonna call his E rep and tell them what the lab rep said about E products. Sure he walks away with the warm and fuzzy feelings oh and they are cheaper than any other option.

Really? You think they don't? Clearly, you have very little experience in the industry if you haven't seen or spoken with numerous lens reps in your practice on a highly regular basis. Essilor doesn't make a bad lens - though so many here would like to try and make it appear so. The do in fact offer a solid product, and for many many people it works. So do a number of lens manufacturers. We use Essilor lenses. We use many other lenses as well. They all work - and usually quite well when fit properly.

No need to call anyone and 'tattle' or whatever the insinuation was there. We use what we feel is appropriate for a number of reasons for each individual patient. We see plenty of lens reps (never any of the indy labs however - go figure...not even a phone call). I have a close relationship with a number of labs, managers, owners and reps from many labs both locally and nationally. I stay in touch as often as time allows. Some are ELoA, some are partner, some are now being pushed by other lens companies like Shamir, and some are still 100% indy. All are great people in my experience. There is plenty of contact - and no - not with Essilor alone.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Really? You think they don't? Clearly, you have very little experience in the industry if you haven't seen or spoken with numerous lens reps in your practice on a highly regular basis. Essilor doesn't make a bad lens - though so many here would like to try and make it appear so. The do in fact offer a solid product, and for many many people it works. So do a number of lens manufacturers. We use Essilor lenses. We use many other lenses as well. They all work - and usually quite well when fit properly.
    I know this wasn't a reply to me, but I must really be the epitome of an industry outsider. Either that, or I don't stay in one place long enough for the reps to catch up to me! I haven't seen a lens rep since I saw them at the VEW in Oct. They just don't come around.

I have to say that one of the reasons that E does so well is that they are the ONLY reps that ever stop in. Wait, I take that back...the Hoya rep occasionally stops by, but I always seem to miss him. I had to call Shamir 4 times to see a rep, and then he handed me a bunch of brochures and said, "Here you go...everything about us is all basically here."

And yes, they do have very solid products. Only an idiot would dispute that. Just as Lux has some of the best frames in the industry. We don't buy from much from either for various reasons, but by no means do they carry shoddy products.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ahhhh...great minds sometimes think alike.

I'll also be that your aforementioned shop has frames on hand to recreate the "look" of the Armani and that's how to let your competition do your advertising for you.

In another thread, drk shopped LC and found inspiration and focus for his own practice. The trick is to learn to think independently or critically about every product and service that is offered to you and that you offer your patients.

I've changed my thinking about the ubiquitous lens comp certificates that ECP's expect from reps. Conventional wisdom says "I can't recommend a lens that I haven't tried." Isn't it more realistic to choose a good patient and offer them the trial certificate in return for honest feedback on the lens? Personally, I haven't found a PAL that I couldn't wear; after all, I know what to expect. Some were more comfortable than others, but they all did the job.

Just a thought, and I can't wait for the UnExpo to dig into this much more deeply.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Not that I have a dog in the fight, but I really think if Zeiss or Hoya would invest a little in marketing they'd give Essilor a run for their money.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know this wasn't a reply to me, but I must really be the epitome of an industry outsider. Either that, or I don't stay in one place long enough for the reps to catch up to me! I haven't seen a lens rep since I saw them at the VEW in Oct. They just don't come around.

I have to say that one of the reasons that E does so well is that they are the ONLY reps that ever stop in. Wait, I take that back...the Hoya rep occasionally stops by, but I always seem to miss him. I had to call Shamir 4 times to see a rep, and then he handed me a bunch of brochures and said, "Here you go...everything about us is all basically here."

And yes, they do have very solid products. Only an idiot would dispute that. Just as Lux has some of the best frames in the industry. We don't buy from much from either for various reasons, but by no means do they carry shoddy products.
    Heya Johns,

An outsider you clearly are not. (I think I just sounded a bit too much like Yoda there!) However, for us, in a downtown location, surrounded by 7 or so labs in our immediate neighborhood - we see a number of lens reps...but almost never lab guys. Not a phone call. Not a fax. Not a price sheet. Not any reason we should give them any more consideration than our current labs. The lens guys are all over the place as far as presentation. Our E guys are always Johnny-on-the-spot with lens info when called (although I do have to admit to first hearing about the enhanced online and not from our rep), but much as your own experience, the likes of Hoya, Shamir, Sola etc. will generally only hand you a brochure, and bolt out the door. Can't ever seem to get questions answered, even simple stuff.

This has been true for me for years and in a number of private practice settings. I hope the other guys can step up their game in that regard. In the mean time, I am interested to see how the Physio Enhanced performs in the coming months. Thanks Judy once again for the info here, and best of luck to all our fellow dispensers who are giving this lens an honest go.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Let me be a cynic and say it will perform great...just like Comfort, Panamic, and Physio.

(Just like GT2, Shamir's and Hoya's-whatever.)

But I'd wager it's a wee bit more expensive!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Not that I have a dog in the fight, but I really think if Zeiss or Hoya would invest a little in marketing they'd give Essilor a run for their money.
    Especially if they marketed directly to the consumer. Varilux is the only brand name that a consumer will recognize. Do you wonder why?
    ...Just ask me...

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

No need to call anyone and 'tattle' or whatever the insinuation was there. We use what we feel is appropriate for a number of reasons for each individual patient. We see plenty of lens reps (never any of the indy labs however - go figure...not even a phone call). I have a close relationship with a number of labs, managers, owners and reps from many labs both locally and nationally. I stay in touch as often as time allows. Some are ELoA, some are partner, some are now being pushed by other lens companies like Shamir, and some are still 100% indy. All are great people in my experience. There is plenty of contact - and no - not with Essilor alone.

By reading past posts of yours I am under the impression that you are as pro essilor as they come or at least as what I have seen. Also whenever I have seen my Varilux rep if I ever mention anything said to me by another rep they immediately switch into "who said it mode" and we start playing 20 questions. I stopped seing my rep because they gave my lab rep a hard time in the form of calling his boss.

No need to call anyone and 'tattle' or whatever the insinuation was there.
    I apoligize for the insinuation that was truly low of me, I don't know you well enough to make that as an accusation. I hope you sincerely accept my apology for that.

The offices that tatle however do exist. I wouldn't have a problem with Essilor if they stood on their own 2 feet, but they have made their fortune standing on the backs of others. They have exploited independent ECPs with a Varilux version and an Essilor version of lenses for years. They have had these agreements in place that don't allow for information to be shared with professionals which directly influences decisions on which products might be best for the patient. If you are using an ELOA lab they don't offer very many options outside of their products.

Essilor is the equivalent of Lux in the lens world, they are choking off competition and innovation. Everytime a lens comes out by any manufacturer they miraculously have a study a month or two later that says their lens is better. The technolgoy in their lenses are nto explained in common optical nomenclature instead we need to wade through W.A.V.E. 2 technology, Live Optics, the use of Modulation Transfer Functions in their new lens. The list goes on.

PS- I am familiar with MTF but don't see how it is relevent when dioptric error values supply pretty much the same data when it comes to contrast and blur, plus if we were to focus on contrast to that level why is E the largest company to discount the effects of CA which directly effect contrast even more so than dioptric errors.
    Last edited by YrahG; 02-03-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

Why is that they don't seem to be trying? E (and optiboard;)) has all buy given them a roadmap.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    By reading past posts of yours I am under the impression that you are as pro essilor as they come or at least as what I have seen. Also whenever I have seen my Varilux rep if I ever mention anything said to me by another rep they immediately switch into "who said it mode" and we start playing 20 questions. I stopped seing my rep because they gave my lab rep a hard time in the form of calling his boss.

I apoligize for the insinuation that was truly low of me, I don't know you well enough to make that as an accusation. I hope you sincerely accept my apology for that.

The offices that tatle however do exist. I wouldn't have a problem with Essilor if they stood on their own 2 feet, but they have made their fortune standing on the backs of others. They have exploited independent ECPs with a Varilux version and an Essilor version of lenses for years. They have had these agreements in place that don't allow for information to be shared with professionals which directly influences decisions on which products might be best for the patient. If you are using an ELOA lab they don't offer very many options outside of their products.

Essilor is the equivalent of Lux in the lens world, they are choking off competition and innovation. Everytime a lens comes out by any manufacturer they miraculously have a study a month or two later that says their lens is better. The technolgoy in their lenses are nto explained in common optical nomenclature instead we need to wade through W.A.V.E. 2 technology, Live Optics, the use of Modulation Transfer Functions in their new lens. The list goes on.
    Apology humbly and most graciously accepted. :D:cheers::cheers:
    I know I'm not the very best of writers, and while I can form a though easily enough, it's not always easy for me to put it down here eloquently or clearly in the written word. Thanks for your patience. One point I would like to make is this: I'm no more pro Essilor, than anyone else. But I'm also not against them. If you have a beef with a company for *any* reason, that's a very personal thing. It's just so bloody wearisome reading all the b**ching and moaning here about how terrible they are. How bad Lux may or may not be. How much the little guy is squeezed...etc. etc. ad nauseum. You know?

If any of you have seen the movie V for Vendetta, there's a line given in regards to oppression and all that which it seems to me is strikingly appropriate here: "How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror." It's true that if the indy's out there are so truly virulently upset about a company or companies doing something they don't agree with - simply ranting on and on about them in an online forum does nothing to address any real-world concerns. If there is a problem to be fixed, it's got to start with us. Me and you.

That being said, I do understand your point of view I believe. And while I may not share it, it doesn't make it any less valid. Again I need to express that I am no more for or against any one company or lab. Essilor treats us very very well at present. Far better than any other lens manufacturer. But I've had my years with horrid lab service and even worse representation from them. For us, right now, loyalty given is for is a combination of quality product, plenty of information, a competitive price, and a rep who shows up without having to be begged to come in. :hammer:

Again, thanks for the kind words above. Wish you all the best!
    :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Bri~

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Optix View Post
    Is this the Physio 360 in a new box? Seems like all the same characteristics.
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    I believe it's new software/calculations for BSD.
    It looks like the Physio Enhanced replaces the Physio 360 (Physio stays the same), and uses a semi-finshed spherical blank with the Rx and PAL design on the back, possibly using a variable corridor length based on the ordered seg height and frame shape. The other 360 PALs (Physio Short, Comfort, and Ellipse) may also be using spherical blanks, probably with fixed corridor lengths.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's true that if the indy's out there are so truly virulently upset about a company or companies doing something they don't agree with - simply ranting on and on about them in an online forum does nothing to address any real-world concerns. If there is a problem to be fixed, it's got to start with us. Me and you.
    Not necessarily so, for instance:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...04&postcount=1

Untill someone posted that message I was in the dark about the Varilux agreement. The reps had been coming into my office claiming they were the best and using the quite of the opposition as proof. In the here and now a company called Shamir makes a fantastic product that outshines Varilux products and you can't buy their FF version from any ELOA labs. Essilor claims that the Physio Enhanced will offer 30% wider zones of clear vision (Pete confirmed this is over the Panamic), they also confirmed in many of their literature and discussions that the back surface would only give an increase of 6% wider zones of clear vision, yet my rep is tellign me that the DRX version which will be back side will only provide 6% wider zones which is 24% less than the Enhanced version. They are positioning it as an inferior product to the Enhanced when logically we come to a conclusion that it shoudl be 36% wider or an additional 6% wider. I personally can't do business with a company that never does wrong, this is a recipe for failure. I make mistakes all the time and it is the ability to own my mistakes that allows me to move past them and learn from them.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a few questions about these Physio Enhanced lenses.

They mention they have different designs based on pupil size. Does this mean we have to tell them what size pupils our patients have?

Does the Physio Short also come in the Enhanced or will it soon?

Is the lens VSP approved yet?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've changed my thinking about the ubiquitous lens comp certificates that ECP's expect from reps. Conventional wisdom says "I can't recommend a lens that I haven't tried." Isn't it more realistic to choose a good patient and offer them the trial certificate in return for honest feedback on the lens?
    I totally agree Judy. Whenever a rep asks if we could use some comp vouchers I say "Sure" and then find a customer to try an "upgrade" on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    It looks like the Physio Enhanced replaces the Physio 360 (Physio stays the same), and uses a semi-finshed spherical blank with the Rx and PAL design on the back, possibly using a variable corridor length based on the ordered seg height and frame shape. The other 360 PALs (Physio Short, Comfort, and Ellipse) may also be using spherical blanks, probably with fixed corridor lengths.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the Enhanced uses the same digital mold design that the Physio and 360 use, with progressive design on the front, digitally surfaced on the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post

They mention they have different designs based on pupil size. Does this mean we have to tell them what size pupils our patients have?

There aren't different designs, it's just one design that supposedly works for the general public. The Enhanced Short (or whatever they're going to call it) will be available, I think, in June. Can't tell you about VSP, sorry.

By the way, this info comes from my Varilux rep, who stopped in a few days ago. Unfortunately, the marketing fluff got tossed as soon as she walked out the door, otherwise I'd have something more to tell you.
    Bryan Finley, Florida Board Certified Licensed Dispensing Optician

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Finney View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the Enhanced uses the same digital mold design that the Physio and 360 use, with progressive design on the front, digitally surfaced on the back.
    I think you're right. The availabilty charts show the base curves for the Physio, but all of the 360's say "Blank size available as finished uncut lenses only". I took that to mean that they are now using SV blanks, but "finished" doesn't make sense now that I read it again. OTOH, the minimum height is 14mm, but that just may be the Short. Don't you love it when they throw sand in your eyes?
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think you're right. The availabilty charts show the base curves for the Physio, but all of the 360's say "Blank size available as finished uncut lenses only". I took that to mean that they are now using SV blanks, but "finished" doesn't make sense now that I read it again. OTOH, the minimum height is 14mm, but that just may be the Short. Don't you love it when they throw sand in your eyes?
    Well, sand in your pupils anyway! :D
    Bryan Finley, Florida Board Certified Licensed Dispensing Optician

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post

The design of Physio enhanced is "weighted" to provide an overall slightly-greater negative-focus effect in the DV-axial zone (in front of the pupil) to compensate primarily for The spherical aberration of the eye at nite. Other HOA mixes are also weighted in a "proprietary" fashion by Essilor in order to (Caution: comparative ahead) "enhance" night acuity...

when compared against previous E progressives and those based on Wave 1 algorithms.

FWIW, and to the best of my understanding...at this time

Barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Kodak Unique? Say it ain't so!

Thread Information