Thread: How you may re-conceptualize your frame rep.

Occupation
    Optometrist

How you may re-conceptualize your frame rep.

Like the American Indian, I have my ear to the ground to hear buffalo hoofbeats and hear the rumble of change.

I think Luxottica will be restructuring its "sales force" to independents and private accounts. I think the idea will be "more extranet, less sales reps".

What would the world be like without sales reps? What if we had to purchase frames online? It'd be as kooky as patients doing it.

The reps are like brick-and-mortars but better; they have a "store" and even bring it to you! They will give you advice on what sells through. They will inventory your frames and give you reports. They oblige by modeling frames. They help out in backorder situations. They work hard for their money.

I am now thinking of them as semi-independent frame consultants to my practice. I'm afraid Luxottica will be thinking of them as one more layer to remove in their direct-to-consumer obsession.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Like the American Indian, I have my ear to the ground to hear buffalo hoofbeats and hear the rumble of change.

I think Luxottica will be restructuring its "sales force" to independents and private accounts. I think the idea will be "more extranet, less sales reps".

What would the world be like without sales reps? What if we had to purchase frames online? It'd be as kooky as patients doing it.

The reps are like brick-and-mortars but better; they have a "store" and even bring it to you! They will give you advice on what sells through. They will inventory your frames and give you reports. They oblige by modeling frames. They help out in backorder situations. They work hard for their money.

I am now thinking of them as semi-independent frame consultants to my practice. I'm afraid Luxottica will be thinking of them as one more layer to remove in their direct-to-consumer obsession.

I agree w/everything you said, but are you really surprised at the "peeling of the onion"? Or, is it more that you're concerned for the reps, as individuals, losing their livelihoods? That, I'll agree is not good.

As I've said before, I think that Lux is taking MJ's (the sunglasses not the dead dancer) concept of using the optical retailers as a showroom/classroom/fitting room and then sending them to Costco, to the next level.

Think about it. Somewhere, there has to be SOMEONE showing some of their product to the consumer, but now, it doesn't really matter to Lux where they buy it. Actually, they hope the consumer does not buy it at the brick and mortar, because then they won't get their retail mark-up.

By selling to a few independents, they've got a 2 out of 3 chance of getting the retail sale either through LC, or the web. Of course they'll still get the wholesale revenue as a bonus...but that's not worth paying a bunch of reps for, is it?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I'm surprised reps still exist in this industry. I have friends and family that are in sales for other industries - pharmaceutical, medical supply, greeting cards/gifts, telecomm - they all have car allowances (or get company cars), cell allowances (or company provided cellphones), company credit card to cover allowed expenses...and a lot more. What do sales reps for frame manufacturers get? Crappy commissions, a 1099 paycheck, hassles from their clients and their sales managers, no car allowance, no company credit card, no company cellphone...

I've wondered recently why they put up with it. Is it because they can't get a better sales gig? Because those jobs are out there - I've interviewed for them - a number of them - I'm always up against candidates with more experience and in this market that means I don't get the second interview. But for an experienced sales rep moving up in their career shouldn't be an issue. Yet frame reps generally move laterally within their own company or to another frame company. And Doc you got it right - frame reps work hard for their money. That's why I don't get it - my cousin is a pharma-rep. I know he works hard, but not as hard as some of the frame reps I know - and I can assure you he makes more than any frame rep I know (and likely pulls a salary close to what most OD's pull). So...to add to wrinkle to your question - what happens when these reps figure it out? The good ones will, over time, get out to greener pastures. That will eventually leave us with reps that don't work hard, won't give decent advice on what sells, won't work your inventory, won't help with backorders. Are frame companies setting reps up to fail? Just to get them out of the supply chain?
    Last edited by Audiyoda; 01-27-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I have had my ear to the ground since the late sixties and recall when the supply cycle in the eye care business was very different. The only direct market channels with manufacturers was with a local AO or B&L lab - everything else was purchased through wholesalers. I must say that service was great through local wholesalers and labs.

In your case, when you were ready to go out on your own it would have been very easy to find a local lab that would set you up with all of your kit and inventory "on memo." There was a great deal of "cooperation" back in the good old days. One of the first direct frame vendors was Starline Overseas which exclusively imported Safilo frames and sun glasses from Italy. soon other importers followed suite and then US manufacturers "cut out the middle man" but service really suffered. I miss the friendships that we had when you saw the same salesman year after year.

So it is quite natural that the evolution of frame sales will soon remove the salesman from the supply chain. What value does a salesman add particularly in these times of fiscal restraint and lack of customer loyalty.

First it was the telephone, then the fax and the WATTS line and now the internet. Life goes on, but not as before!

Thread Information