Thread: Florida Optician Busted

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Arrow Florida Optician Busted

I just received this e-mail from my state executive director:

Subject: Optician flees, then turns self in

In case you have not seen this article yet. We started filing complaints about him back in August.
    Mark

Optician flees, then turns self in
    By Kenneth Lim
    Staff Writer
    Posted February 6 2002

West Boynton · An optician facing license-related charges tried to escape from sheriff’s deputies when they turned up at his workplace to arrest him about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.
    David A. Cantor of Boynton Beach turned himself in to an off-duty Palm Beach County Sheriff’s deputy near his office about three hours later, said Enrique Torres, chief investigator at the state Health Department’s Unlicensed Activities Office.
    Cantor, who owned Apple Eye Care west of Delray Beach from 1997 to June with his aunt, June Cantor, was charged with one count of unlicensed practice of optometry and four counts of dispensing an optical device without a prescription, all felonies. He also faces one count of operating an optical establishment without a license, a misdemeanor.
    Each felony carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and $5,000 in fines. The misdemeanor has a maximum penalty of six months and $500. If convicted, Cantor may face even harsher sentences if the courts find him guilty of victimizing the elderly.
    "He may be looking at some serious time here," Torres said.
    Torres said deputies were not expecting Cantor’s actions when they arrived at his new eye-care center, Eyesotica.
    "He looked out the window, saw the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office cars and ran out the back door like a jackrabbit," Torres said. "I’ve never seen a fleeing optician."
    Officials said deputies called out K-9 units and search helicopters after Cantor fled.
    Cantor had been under investigation for six to seven months, Torres said. The Health Department alleges that Cantor continued performing eye examinations on patients even when a licensed optometrist working for him was off from work, Torres said.
    Opticians may make and sell optical items, but only optometrists are allowed to prescribe lenses or eye exercises.
    in a civil lawsuit, investigated by the state Attorney General’s Office, accusing him of cheating seniors and giving wrong prescriptions. June Cantor is named in the civil suit but is not facing any criminal charges.
    Cantor remained in the Palm Beach County Jail late Tuesday with bail set at $3,000.
    The Health Department asks people who think they may have undergone eye exams at Apple Eye Care to call the unlicensed activities hotline at 877-425-8852.

Copyright © 2002, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Mark A. Miller
    Executive Director
    markm@pof.org
    1947 Greenwood Drive - Tallahassee, FL 32303
    Mark A. Miller
    Executive Director
    markm@pof.org
    1947 Greenwood Drive - Tallahassee, FL 32303

:finger: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I just received this article as well (from Mark). At least this one is better than the optician who tied up one of his clients!

Mark pointed out that the Professional Opticians of Florida have filed numerous complaints against this optician. This may show the benefits of the POF procuring legislation last session that made unlicensed dispensing a felony instead of a misdemeanor. Now perhaps we'll get some interest in enforcement and prosecution!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Take heart rest of the country

Florida is a leader in the community of Opticianry in the US. It has been put through a strain of not only maintaining its licensure but has also proven to us all that unification is critical!

Jerry

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

?!?!?!!

Can somebody tell me:

1.What happens when a MD or Doctor Dispens Spects Is that equally punishable?
    2. About wrong prescriptions did patients complained or had real problems which he declined to correct, or Competetors were on his chase since a long ?
    :drop:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb Sandeep

OMD's and Optometrist are permitted to dispense eyewear and contact lenses along with writing Rx's. That is written in their licensing laws. Eyewear and Contact lenses are treated in the US like prescription drugs as far as dispensing is concerned. That is also why a pharmacist can also dispense contact lenses but can not prescribe.
    From what I could tell from the article this optician apparently assisted the optometrist when the optometrist was in the office (known as mentoring) and the optometrist was responsible for what his employee did. When the optometrist was out of the office the optician could not perform the refraction because he was legally without mentor and was prescribing without the doctors OK.

Hope that makes it a little clearer.

:bbg: Jerry

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
    At least this one is better than the optician who tied up one of his clients!
    Pete,
    You have to share more about this one!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb Pete

Lets here it. I've heard of anger but tying up a patient?

Jerry

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Well, you asked for it!

This is a really pathetic story that I posted some time ago...

JACKSONVILLE - An 18 year old woman told police she was raped by an employee while applying for a job. According to police, an employee at Regency Lifestyle Vision Center was showing the woman around the office Tuesday when he grabbed
    her, bound her hands to a chair with tape and raped her, police said.

He then left the woman while he went on to wait on customers. When he returned, he started crying because he was afraid the woman would tell police. The woman convinced him she wouldn't, and was set free, police said. She left and called police.

Police arrested Romano Estrada, 21, on charges of sexual battery and false imprisonment.
    Apparently, I remembered it incorrectly- it was an applicant (not a patient) who was tied up... Still, how do you go about dispensing eyewear knowing you have a woman tied up in the back??? Seems like this is one Optician who needed an "adjustment!" I'm sure he's bending temples behind bars now.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OH MY GAWD!

He doesn't need an adjustment he needs to be locked away for years! And the poor girl imagine her trauma? She will probably not be able to work again!

I was a victim of an attack in my home (not raped) and I still have issues with being home alone at night (and it was 12 years ago)! I cannot imagine what she must be going through!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy There are all kinds of creeps

It seems like there are all kinds of creeps out there. The guy Pete was talking about was no true Optician in my book. We are an honorable lot.

Jerry:(

Thread Information