Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite TV program

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Whats your favorite TV program

Hi everyone,

What's your favorite TV shows?

I like Scrubs, CSI, The Agency, Alias, Becker and Crossing Jordan.

How about the rest of you?

:bbg: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I just started watching '24' and I really like this show. In addition, my other favorites are The West Wing and ER.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Water Rats, CSI, Law and Order and it's spin-offs, ER, NYPD Blue, Crossing Jordan, Becker, Oprah on Tuesdays when Dr. Phil is there...The 10 pm shows usually keep me company while I'm sewing....

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Wave TV whats that....

Ours must be the cleanest in the world all it ever has on is soaps..... In fact the washing machine has less soap in it.......
    I prefer to watch the puter or at a push its a video... Unless ther's some motor sport on C4 has got he WRC on it now, what fun that is....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile John R

What happened to the Benny Hill show?

Occupation

Confused PC....gone to far...

Its the old problem, you get a show with a dirty old man chaseing pretty buxem young ladies.... The old dears start complaining its not right....
    We had some great comidies but all the best ones cant be shown now as they are considered either raceist, sexist or some other ist.....

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    We had some great comedies but all the best ones cant be shown now as they are considered either raceist, sexist or some other ist.....
    I hope you don't count Are You Being Served? as one of the "greats!" Father Ted, on the other hand, is hilarious! We have a channel called "BBC America" on our cable, and I've watched a few of the programs from time to time.

As for my favorites, 24 is by far the best thing running right now. Although The Simpsons reigns supreme, Everybody Loves Raymond and Yes, Dear are pretty good comedies as well (so is Just Shoot Me, which I've only recently started watching).

The History Channel is now showing reruns of Black Sheep Squadron, which was a series of one hour episodes covering a WWII fighter pilot group in the Pacific. I loved that show as a kid!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Besides, Benny Hill died a few years ago. Probably the best British comedy show next to Monty Python.

Bob V.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question John R

What! I was looking forward to more BBC shows like Monty Python and Are You Being Served . That means reruns on PBS for the next 10 years.

Jerry

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    ER, Boston Public and that man again "Father Ted"

My claim to fame is that the parochial house is in the village I live in. Most of it was filmed in a few miles radius of me.

Sadly there are going to be no more episodes, because ted (Dermot Morgan) died suddenly a few years ago.

Occupation

Wave

I was thinking more off, "Luv thy neighbour" "Till death do'us part" "It aint half hot, mum"
    If its real classics (read reruns) then you need "Dads Army" or "Are You Being Served"
    For a more up to date laugh "Last of the summer wine" is wearing well despite going for er er yes just how long has it been going must be over 10 years at least, and is fast turning into a show for all the old greats.....

I'm freeee......
    How the pussy Mrs Slocombe...........

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would have to go with C.S.I.,The Simpson's ,King of the Hill & reruns of Married with Children and Home Improvement.And BTW when the local cable co airs them.............love watching "Are You Being Served",Hogan's Hero's,and a show that i believe is called "Faulty Towers". <-----sp?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    West Wing, ER, Enterprise
    I like others, but not enough to make time to watch tapes... cuts too much into my online time...
    jP

Occupation
    Originally posted by Sean
    I love watching "Are You Being Served",Hogan's Hero's,and a show that i believe is called "Faulty Towers". <-----sp?
    Yep that right Faulty Towers.... great show with John Clease et al... Hogan's Hero's now there's a show i have not seen for many years...
    It looks like you yanks get more of our comedy shows than we do....

I know nuthing......

Basilllllll

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Basilllllll

I guess will have to send those great shows via the web by streaming video. I also love Hyacinth Bucket or is that Bouquet?

:D :bbg: :D Jerry

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Here are my favs...

Will and Grace, Titus, West Wing, ER, and Boston Public.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile John R and other English and Irish friends

Do you have a Public Broadcating station?

Occupation

Wave Re: John R and other English and Irish friends

Originally posted by MVEYES

Well do you mean the BBC
    We have as standard
    Bbc 1
    Bbc 2
    Itv 1
    Chanell 4
    If you are lucky Chanell 5 as well.... there are some free digital channels as well but you need a decoder...
    Then there are the extra digital channels but they cost, these are either cable or saterlite. We are seeing a move to more digital channels so at some point soon we will have to upgrade our tv's

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    We receive 3 public broadcast channels with our cable package (but there are tons of "Discovery Learning Channels" as well, with subjects ranging from science to aircraft to health).

From what I understand, your TVs get a higher resolution than ours. Are UK broadcasts already in HDTV? I've seen a few HDTV sets here (although there aren't a lot of programs broadcast in High Definition here yet), and they do get superb pictures!

Sorry to hear about Father Ted's demise... I've watched four or five episodes now and he was really funny! My favorite so far is the episode where they think one of the Father's has passed away- leaving tons of money to Father Ted and his sidekick (only to find out he isn't really dead)!

As to "Are You Being Served?", if I end up in some personalized Hell, I am quite sure it will involve endless episodes of this God-awful program played over and over and over... (I don't care if the one lady's hair does change color all the time, there is absolutely nothing funny about that show!).
    :p
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation

Wave

Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
    (I don't care if the one lady's hair does change color all the time, there is absolutely nothing funny about that show!).
    :p
    You see thats the problem, you just dont understand british humor....:hammer:
    Just the same as we struggle with some of you shows.....

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation

Re: John R and other English and Irish friends

Originally posted by MVEYES

Our standard channels,

RTE 1(Radio, Telifís Eireann)
    Net 2
    Tv3
    TG4

Were one of the lucky ones to have a digital set so we get just under a hundred British and American Chanells:bbg:

Pete, in my opinion Ted, Jack, Dougal and Ms. Doyle were simply the best.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Office on BBC2 has been funny. Father Ted is good, though. And the thing about the resolutions is true, although I think it's the film it's recorded on, rather than the TV set. Because if you look at something like Frasier, the watch The Bill, the difference is amazing in picture quality. To the point where you can tell on the news if it's US footage or British footage they're showing.

Occupation
    Originally posted by JennyP
    West Wing, ER, Enterprise
    I like others, but not enough to make time to watch tapes... cuts too much into my online time...
    jP
    Amazing, this would read exactly the same if I had posted it!:cheers:

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Ok I'll chime in now...Seinfeld still holds my top spot as fav show. I also like Everybody Loves Raymond, Just Shoot Me, Becker, Friends, Malcolm in the Middle and the Bernie Mac show. Can you tell I LOVE sit coms? I made myself a promise I would not get into another one of those shows you have to watch every week since they took off Gideon. I really liked that show...apparently I was the only one. I had questions I never got answered and now I will never know!! I hate that. Anyway I used to watch the news programs too but I get too emotional about a lot of them. I would much rather laugh. Ok gotta go Seinfeld is on...that show never stops being funny to me!!

Steph

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Stephanie,
    I agree- the Bernie Mac Show is hilarious! I also agree that producers who end series without tying up all the loose ends should be shot! Back in High School, I used to watch St. Elsewhere every week without fail. The end of that show ticked me off so much I think it kept me from ever watching ER (another hospital show). Another disappointment has been the "X-Files." That used to be "must see TV" every Sunday at 9pm... I haven't been able to bear watching it for more than a year now.

My problem is I get too wrapped up in the story. If a character annoys me enough I get caught up in "Oh, s/he just HAS to die." Examples of such characters are:
    • The British Major in "The Patriot" who burns the people in the church
    • The annoying supervisor in "Hannibal" who keeps talking down to Clarisse
    • The crooked banker who steals money from Jimmy Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life" (and nothing ever happens to him, which is really annoying!

I think there should be a simple rule- if a character is annoying s/he should die a horrible, cruel death by the end of the movie or show!

John,
    As for "not getting British humor," if "Are You Being Served" is the epitome of British humor, I don't want to "get it!" Ugh! The only funny thing I've ever seen on that show was a man who was buying two furs (one for his wife and one for the mistress). The old bat of a saleslady agrees to give the commission for one of the furs to the younger salesgirl. Unfortunately for her, turns out the coat she sells (for the wife) was relatively inexpensive compared to the one the girl sells (for the mistress). Ends up with the old bat lecturing him on why he should go back to his wife... Generally though, the show is- as you say- $hite! (IMHO) Now Monty Python... THAT'S funny (a Catholic couple surrounded by bratty little kids singing "every sperm is sacred, every sperm is good..."- that's rich!).
    ;)

Oh, I've also seen a few Brit newscasts. I would say those were pretty humorous as well (they are so careful not to say anything offensive).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Thread Information