Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats your favorite TV program

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

1. 24, 2. ER, 3. Law&Order 4. Friends, 5. Jag.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    West Wing, even if it is about Democrats it's so well written, NYPD Blue, ER, Frasier, Iron Chef, Trading Spaces, Will and Grace and Absolutely Fabulous.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile How about

Max Bicford (another to my list).:)

:bbg: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by John R

Hogan's Hero's now there's a show i have not seen for many years......

Love the show.........sometimes the way the programming works out around here.....i've been able to see two dif ' episodes in one night. Not that i have that much time on my hands or am able to stay up that late for that matter...........but i give it my best . :(

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Pete, what is even worse than them ending a show without tying up the end is when they keep running a show that they have run out of ideas for. Home Improvement for one was one of the funniest shows around. I think they just ran it to death. Here's more that get me...My wife and kids and the world according to Jim...the plot is always the same, husband and wife make each other mad and then argue with each other and the kids. Uh boring. Actually as much as I love Seinfeld I hated the last one. They should have given us what we really wanted....Jerry and Elaine together(at least that is what I wanted). I don't think any one was really crazy about the way they ended that either. I liked all the characters from previous shows being on there but could they have not done that some other way??? The best thing about Seinfeld was no crying for any reason. Even when Susan died it was still funny, rude and ignorant but funny. I also must agree with the St. Elsewhere thing. My mom and I were just talking about that....actually we were talking about Denzel and his new movie which looks fabulous...anyway back to St. Elsewhere I was like you with that one I watched faithfully. That was probably the first show I HAD to watch and they destroyed the poor show. How painful was that? We ought to write our own show about a bunch of opticians who communicate on the internet....LOL!!! Think anyone besides us would watch???

Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Stephanie

I would watch the show.

:bbg: Jerry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Ok Jerry wanna help me get the pilot started??? LOL!! It would be a first. I don't recall ever having a show about opticians. I remember friends had Tom Selleck as an eye doc. Of course the show didn't center around that. This one will center mostly around the profession...of course it will have to be funny. Whenever you are ready let me know!! LOL!!

Steph

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Don't get me started on St. Elsewhere...

Steph,
    My favorite character on the show was the old hospital administrator... What really got me about the show was how the one doc/intern got treated (sorry, don't remember his name anymore). As I recall, everyone thought he was guilty of some crime (rape, I believe), and didn't it turn out he wasn't, but was still basically ostracized by everyone?

As for the Optician's sitcom... I always joke around our office that I'm going to build a sitcom based on our office. We have fun picking the characters that will play the different employees on the show...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Pete, yea I remember that character on St. Elsewhere that supposedly raped someone. Y'know they have the old ones on Nick at night. It is hard for me to watch it now though since you have to follow it everyday and it is hard to remember everything that went on so long ago. As far as the sitcom goes I think it is an awesome idea. We could all get together and compare notes with everything we have all experienced. I have often said myself that I was gonna write a book about all my experiences. I have had more strange stuff happen in this business than I ever had in my life. Most of it is humorous at least it could be if written right. Some of it I didn't find the humor in it until much later. Anyway if anyone wants to help write the pilot let me know. I am absolutely game for it. I have a very warped sense of humor and can find humor where their shouldn't be any. LOL!!

Steph

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It Was Terence Knox

that played the Dr. on St Elsewhere who was the rapist.

http://sorsha.simplenet.com/actors/Terence/articles.htm
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Alias rocks, Bernie Mac is hilarious and ER is definitely "must see TV".

Blake

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Pete

Is that your wife on the Avatar?

:) Jerry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Must See!

There are just two shows that I can not miss... One being ER and the other 24...

As for British humor...how about The Black Adder? I thought all of its incarnations was funny!

And as for the show about opticians.. I have always joked with my coworkers that we have enough stuff going on in both the store and our personal lives that we could easily have enough material for a soap opera. "As the Lens Grinds"
    Office affairs, bad customers, equipment malfunctions, the coworker relationships, the idiot bosses, cat fights. illnesses....I know of enough stuff to drive story lines for at least two seasons...(there is some really weird things you find out about coworkers...)

Cassandra

6th floor! Optical!

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Is that your wife on the Avatar?
    Yep, that's Debra Elizabeth, my wife since 3 July 1987. If you think I'm hard to tolerate on line, just ask her... (on second thought, let's not and say we did).
    ;)

Happy Valentine's Day!

Now, as to this sitcom. We need to figure out what happens in the pilot, and who will play each of us (assuming we're casting ourselves into the sitcom). All I ask is that we cast Terri Hatcher, Thandie Newton, and the actress that plays Monica in friends as staff members (staff who have a LOT of interaction with the Pete character)...
    ;)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Pete

:finger:

Just joking. We can all dream of bit appearances or technical advisory roles.

:D :bbg: :D Jerry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue

Ok Pete, when we start making some money and each can demand BIG BUCKS for the show we will then get some hot names added to the show. I personally like Jennifer Aniston better than Corteney Cox but hey to each his own...if they are gonna make me money by saying funny stuff I write so be it!!! I think the pilot should start as a bunch of us ( I personally wouldn't mind playing myself...how bout you Pete??) and should start in the dispensary and slowly venture out to our personal lives. I think people might tune in just to see something different. What do you think? I have a bunch of stuff to have the show go on for years and I am pretty new in the biz. So what do you say wanna start it??? Maybe it will also give the public a good look at how ignorant they are when they come in. Maybe we could get a few of the rep companies to sponsor us!! We could be the new Seinfeld!! Uh oh I am dreaming of a better life again...someone wake me up!!!

Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Stephanie

Dreams are what make hit TV shows.

:bbg: :) :D Jerry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

I like your style Jerry!! I have got so many ideas on so many things it is amazing I am not a millionaire already. My problem is I never know how to present it. Or I start thinking 'oh that won't work' or 'no one will buy that'. Hey people bought pet rocks didn't they??? Really I need to be in advertising...every commercial I see I come up with a hundred ways it could have been better. So anyone wanna help me with the sitcom? We have all watched them enough we know what makes one funny and why we can't stand another. What really made Seinfeld so funny?? Well first of all the characters said what everyone else was only thinking. Second it was one of the first shows where no one really cared. They were so superficial that you couldn't hardly believe anyone could really act like that. It worked. Anyway...I have been thinking about this one for a long time. Now how to sell it....

Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Stephanie

You could probably get some great ideas from some of the forums like John R's "moaning" thread. Or those in Just Conversation.

:bbg: :) :D Jerry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Has anyone seen the previews for Gregg the Bunny?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

Is anyone going to watch the premier of "Greg The Bunny" tonight?

Thread Information