Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bombshell News Affecting AR Coating Industy............

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Bombshell News Affecting AR Coating Industy............

Thyroid disease linked to non-stick chemicals: study

Substances used in cookware, stain- and water-proofing
    By Kate Kelland, Reuters January 21, 2010 2:02am

LONDON – Scientists have linked a chemical used in consumer goods like non-stick pans and water-resistant fabrics with thyroid disease, raising questions about the potential health risks of exposure to the substance.

A study by British researchers found that people with high levels of the chemical perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) in their blood have higher rates of thyroid diseases – conditions which affect the body’s metabolism.

PFOA is a common chemical, used in industrial and consumer products including non-stick cooking pans, stain-proof carpet coatings and waterproofing for fabrics.

The study, published in the Environmental Health Perspectives journal, did not establish whether PFOA was causing higher levels of thyroid disease.

The researchers said the link might be complex and indirect, and added that their work highlighted a need for further studies of the human health effects of low-level exposures to chemicals like PFOA.
    “We need to know what they (these chemicals) are doing,” said Tamara Galloway, a professor of ecotoxicology at Exeter University, who led the research.

Previous studies of people living near sites where PFOA is manufactured have not found an association between exposure to these chemicals and thyroid function, and some other scientists advised caution about drawing conclusions from the study.
    “Studies like this cannot tell us that the two things are definitely linked,” said Ashley Grossman, professor of neuroendocrinology at Queen Mary, University of London.

“We also don’t know whether this chemical is directly affecting the thyroid. Thyroid disease is often caused by the body’s own immune system attacking the thyroid gland so perhaps this chemical is having some effect on the immune system, rather than directly on the thyroid.”

The thyroid, located in the neck, is a kind of master gland, secreting hormones affecting metabolism. People with low thyroid function may lose hair, gain weight and feel sluggish, while those with overactive thyroids may lose weight and feel their hearts race. Both conditions can be treated.

Continue.............................http://www.montrealgazette.com/healt...ml#PostComment

+++++++++++++++++++

Comment:

Most Anti Reflex coated eye glass lenses, these days, have a slick top coat that makes the lens easy to clean. This top coat has hydrophobic properties, same as mentioned in article and are worn by about 30% of the population worldwide, on their nose, very close to the eyes.

Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), also known as C8 and perfluorooctanoate, is a synthetic, stable perfluorinated carboxylic acid and fluorosurfactant ........................

These coatings are marketed as Teflon and other heavily advertised names by major optical companies.

Some of other coating materials are made with polysiloxanes and which do not contain PFOA, and will not put consumers at risk with their glassses.

When purchasing glasses the consumer should make sure that they get a topcoat made without one containing PFOA. through their optical supplier.

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 01-21-2010 at 06:32 AM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I don't think that the "Teflon" commonly used as a non-stick coating for cooking utensils has anything at all to do with the "Teflon" AR coating for spectacle lenses. It's just a case of the same trade name being used for two different chemical formulations.

I don't know, but I think that the same holds true for "Scotchguard", which is or has been used as a trade name for the coating on spectacle lenses--perhaps has nothing in common as far as chemistry with the "Scotchguard" used to treat fabrics.

Are you certain that this C8 or PFOA is actually being used as a component of the AR or topcoat treatment on spectacle lenses?

I think that you may be raising a false alarm here.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Actually they all fall under the same category................

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post

I think that you may be raising a false alarm here.

Rinselberg............I dont believe so...........but one never knows.

You are such a good web researcher.Why dont you find some of the arguments posted in the past by an OptiBoarder by the name of "Chemist".

Teflon is a name owned by "Dupont" used for non stick cookware and licensed to an optical corporation for use of a non stick slick coats that are hydrophobic, oliophobic and so forth. Actually they all fall under the same category at the end with different applications..

Occupation

Redhot Jumper How thyroid disease affects the eyes .........................

How thyroid disease affects the eyes

The commonest problem is dry eyes. This is because, in auto-immune disease, more than one organ may be attacked, and commonly the thyroid and all the orbital contents (the soft tissues around the eye), including the lacrimal gland, are attacked by the immune system. The lacrimal gland produces the tears in our eyes, so when it is affected fewer tears are produced. As a result, the eyes may feel dry and gritty. It is worth noting that, although the eyes are described as 'dry', they can water and produce more tears than normal.
    As the orbital contents (the soft tissues around the eye) become inflamed, all the tissues of the orbit become red and swollen.
    • The eyelids become puffy and red (lid swelling)
    • The muscles of the eyelids contract, producing a staring appearance (lid retraction)
    • The muscles and fat surrounding the eye swells, pushing the eyes forward so that they bulge out of the orbits (exophthalmos)
    • Lid retraction and exophthalmos make the dry eye symptoms worse.
    • The swelling of the muscles which move the eyes produces unequal movements and double vision (diplopia)
    • The orbits may become painful, particularly on eye movement.
    http://www.rnib.org.uk/eyehealth/eye...spx#H2Heading2

Occupation
    You were talking about posts from "FCCHEMIST".

Here's what FCCHEMIST had to say about "Teflon":
    Teflon is absolutely not PTFE. Teflon is a trademarked brand owned by Dupont with a brand promise that stands for performance, protection, and convenience (http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5590). PTFE, or polytetrafluoroethylene is a chemical that imparts a performance that substantiates the Teflon brand in some applications such as cookware. PTFE is not used for the protection of ophthalmic lenses. Like a silicone, PTFE would offer little durability as a coating on lenses. However, being a fluorochemical it would have superior oleophobicity than that of silicone.

As I've stated previously, premium hydrophobic (and oleophobic) coatings are not silicones rather they are fluorinated silanes that are vapor applied (can be dipcoated) onto AR coated lenses. In the atmosphere these silanes undergo hydrolysis/condensation reactions bonding to the surface of the uppermost AR layer (SiO2) creating a durable ultrathin coating. Fluorochemicals being both oleophobic and hydrophobic typically do not afford anti-fog properties. Silicones which are oleophilic and hydrophobic can impart anti-fog properties due to their high moisture-vapor transmission properties (MVTR). The oleophobic nature of fluorochemicals with surface tensions of <20 dynes/cm make them superior to other chemistries for fingerprint (oleic acid) resistance.
    That's a mouthful, but I think it confirms what I said originally: That the "Teflon" on frying pans is altogether different from the "Teflon" on spectacle lenses.

There's no reference to spectacle lenses in that newspaper article that you provided.

I actually did a Google search, and I couldn't find anything to connect C8 or PFOA with the coatings on spectacle lenses. Which doesn't prove anything one way or the other. Maybe FCCHEMIST will have something more to say about this. I've put in my "two cents worth"; I've come to the end of what I know about this topic.

"See" you later, Chris.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Fluorochemicals..........................

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    You were talking about posts from "FCCHEMIST".

Here's what FCCHEMIST had to say about "Teflon":That's a mouthful, but I think it confirms what I said originally: That the "Teflon" on frying pans is altogether different from the "Teflon" on spectacle lenses.

"See" you later, Chris.
    Rinselberg..........I just checked the definition Fluorochemicals on the DuPont site and that is what is says:

Fluorochemicals

DuPont Fluorochemicals businesses use a powerful combination of products, science and technology experience, innovation, and regional presence to provide a variety of materials and services that improve the quality of life for individuals across the globe.

Fluorochemicals provide solutions in cooling, energy, electronics, personal care, and communications applications, including Air conditioning and refrigeration (i.e., Automotive, Stationary refrigeration, Residential and commercial air conditioning); and Specialty applications (Specialty gases such as Aerosols, polyurethane and polystyrene foam, Fire extinguishants, Pharmaceuticals--metered dose inhalers and medical aerosols, Electronic gases--chamber cleaning and dielectric etching for IC fab and
    flat panel displays); and Specialty fluids.

Our fluorochemical products have unique safety, thermal stability, chemical reactivity, lack of flammability and toxicity attributes.

I don't see any relation with AR coatings in above definition, which actually means nothing, because so many items can incorporated into a product that have nothing to do with the end result.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I don't know if Super-Hydrophobic contain PFOA, (I'll try to find) but don't compare a 12" Teflon Pan who are unsafe (For what I know) only if you overheat it at around 500-600F to an optical lens.If the lenses, in your face, go at 600F, I thing you are toasted and won't have to care about your thyroid anyway. :angry:

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Not knowing a product you use on daily basis................

Quote Originally Posted by Didier View Post

I don't know if Super-Hydrophobic contain PFOA, (I'll try to find) but don't compare a 12" Teflon Pan who are unsafe (For what I know) only if you overheat it at around 500-600F to an optical lens.If the lenses, in your face, go at 600F, I thing you are toasted and won't have to care about your thyroid anyway.

I dont understand that you just look at Teflon pots and pans and super heat, that is not the issue....................and I don't think you even understand the issue.

The study mentioned: Thyroid disease linked to non-stick chemicals: study

Non stick surfaces include the backing of self sticking postage stamps, or labels and many other items, including slick coats on lenses. Why then do leap pads not stick properly to them and lenses slip in bevel edgers ????

It is not the names that count, it is the chemicals that make the products react the way they do. Slick and Hydrophobic coatings are in effect non stick coatings.

I don't know if Super-Hydrophobic contain PFOA...........
    Not knowing a product you use on daily basis, does not qualify to make a valid statement.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    and how does one become exposed to the chemical? Will wearing it have any effect? Will touching it have any effect? Does it have to be heated? Does it have to be breathed in?

Is this a similiar situation to when Essilor put a bid on Safilo (it didn't)?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Not knowing a product you use on daily basis, does not qualify to make a valid statement.
    ?? That's a stretch I think. I know little about toilet paper but I think my statement that "it works pretty good" is a valid one.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    and how does one become exposed to the chemical? Will wearing it have any effect? Will touching it have any effect? Does it have to be heated? Does it have to be breathed in?

Is this a similiar situation to when Essilor put a bid on Safilo (it didn't)?

Beautiful questions with the exception of the last one......................

1) It has not been established that PFOA is actually involved

2) Actually it has been established on many OptiBoard posts that slick coats wear off over time. Actualy if they would contain the chemical in question worn off parts might go on your skin or even into the eyelids.

CAS#: [335-67-1]
    EINECS#: [206-397-9]
    SECTION 3 - HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
    Precautionary Statements: Corrosive, irritant, irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin, causes burns, harmful by inhalation and if swallowed
    Target Organs: None known

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good God.

Adjusting my tin foil hat and adding another layer!

The chemical scientists are all out to get us!! Run for the hills!

Don't drink the water! Don't breathe the air! Don't eat anything touched by human hands! Don't turn on the lights! Don't drive on public streets! The chemical zombies will eat your brain!!!

Folks here's a news flash: E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G is out to get you. It will all kill you eventually. You can live in fear of it all, or you can be smart, not actually attempt to ingest your A/R lenses of any variety, and most likely live a very happy, healthy long life. :p:cheers::cheers::cheers:

(unless you're hit by a random stray meteorite thrown into an earth crossing orbit by the tidal pull of Jupiter and glowing with unearthly green radiation!)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know Ullie. There could be something to this....

Last summer, I found an invasion of ants in my edgers recirculatory bucket, apparently for the moisture/water. Every single one of them exhibited nervousness, irritability and seemed to suffer from panic disorders...

These are all classic symptoms of Hyperthyroidism....Since then, I stopped drinking from the bucket myself, and I feel much better.

:D:cheers::D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Since then, I stopped drinking from the bucket myself, and I feel much better.

I think you are drinking from something........................and it sure ain't the edger bucket!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know Ullie. There could be something to this....

Last summer, I found an invasion of ants in my edgers recirculatory bucket, apparently for the moisture/water. Every single one of them exhibited nervousness, irritability and seemed to suffer from panic disorders...

These are all classic symptoms of Hyperthyroidism....Since then, I stopped drinking from the bucket myself, and I feel much better.

:drop::D:drop:

Occupation

Redhot Jumper OptiBoarders usually shy away .............

Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    :drop::D:drop:

Two years ago when predicting a coming recession, the ones that answered had a good laugh on me, similar to above post's.
    However we slid into a recession, one of the worst yet, and how many have lost their jobs since then ?

In this thread I only passed on some latest news dated from this morning and passed it on while checking into some possibilities of it affecting the industry and there could actually be something behind it.

OptiBoarders usually shy away from something that could affect their daily routine and come up with their best brain flashes.

Occupation
    Two years ago when predicting a coming recession, the ones that answered had a good laugh on me, similar to above post's.
    However we slid into a recession, one of the worst yet, and how many have lost their jobs since then ?

In this thread I only passed on some latest news dated from this morning and passed it on while checking into some possibilities of it affecting the industry and there could actually be something behind it.

OptiBoarders usually shy away from something that could affect their daily routine and come up with their best brain flashes.
    Chris, you have been predicting a recession since I have started here. There will always be a recession coming. You predict it all of the time. Finally, you were right.

It is like me right now saying that California is going to face a major Earthquake. I predict it every year. One year, it comes true. Does that mean I had the inside edge?

So people laughed, because everyone who disagreed with you was right every year until last year

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'm sorry, Chris....I wasn't laughing at your post :o...I just thought the post I quoted was funny...I mean, optical24/7 was talking about drinking out of the recirculatory bucket...it just struck me as funny.

Seriously, I meant no disrespect. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, no disrespect here either. Life's too short to take everything too seriously. Some don't get my levity. My swarf bucket remark was akin to drinking the "kool-aid".

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Last edited by optical24/7; 01-21-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Question

Chris,are you serious?...People arent chewing on or eating their a/r coated lenses....

What you are saying is not realistic and is of no real life significance.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, no disrespect here either. Life's too short to take everything too seriously. Some don't get my levity. My swarf bucket remark was akin to drinking the "kool-aid".

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Ironically, I was drinking out of my swarf bucket as I was reading your post, and I almost lost it.

Funny stuff! :bbg:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Interestingly enough until someone questioned it, companies were putting lead in childrens toys. Stranger things have happened and maybe their might be somthing to Chris's post, don't know enough about the subject to either confirm or deny, but what I do know is that the swar bucket joke was a good one.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Interestingly enough until someone questioned it, companies were putting lead in childrens toys.
    There is a new testing lab on the scene in optical, and they are currently SWAMPED doing lead and other testing on ....ophthalmic frames. Big stuff.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Chris, you have been predicting..................

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post

Chris, you have been predicting a recession since I have started here. There will always be a recession coming. You predict it all of the time. Finally, you were right.
    That is your opinion.......I just wish you could for once make a positive contribution to the theme of a thread or start one on your own initiative.

Occupation
    That is your opinion.......I just wish you could for once make a positive contribution to the theme of a thread or start one on your own initiative.
    Sorry Chris. I do truly respect you as a leader in this industry. Just all of this negativity everywhere... It gets a little hard to see over and over again.

Thread Information