Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rx snorkeling mask

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Rx snorkeling mask

I had someone bring me a very old mask with lenses simply cemented in to a snorkel mask, with one lens gone of course. Years ago I saw inserts that had a tab that was cemented in the mask, and held the adaptor for Rx, but don't know what is available today.

A quick Internet search yielded results with some hefty prices, and the husband and wife I have are looking for something in-expensive for a weeks worth of snorkeling. Rx's are not really conducive to spherical equivalent, or I would use stock swim goggles.

Ideas?? Thoughts??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Buehler?? Anyone??

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about the Liberty Aqua-See? I don't swim so I don't know what else to use if the spherical equivalent ready mades won't work.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I think their problem is expecting it to be cheap for only a week's use.
    They'll have to suffer or spend. :D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file Strab's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Not cheap!

We have an employee and a doctor that are big scuba divers with high rx's. Their goggles are not cheap at all. Wish I had a better answer for ya.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Ideas?? Thoughts??........................

Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post

Rx's are not really conducive to spherical equivalent, or I would use stock swim goggles.

Ideas?? Thoughts??

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris,

Those are spherical equivalents and it's already been determined that SE's are not an option.

I don't think there is an inexpensive solution to this one.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's between $10.00 - $45.00 depending on where your going to rent a pair of rx goggles from a scuba shop. I was going to make a pair for my husband when we went to Maui and he was able to rent a pair for $20.00 for 8 days.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check out www.hydrooptix.com It's not a cheap alternative, but it's not outrageously expensive either (around$200). They'll last a lifetime! I've sold 2 and recommended several with high levels of satisfaction.

Best of luck,
    Jeff

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Are toric contact lenses an option?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DrOMG View Post
    Are toric contact lenses an option?
    No. These are for the very short term, so any CL is out of the equation.

Occupation
    For the glue in type (mounted to rear of face plate) there is no reason they must be spheres. Plano front (to glue to plate) with the sphere and the cylinder on the rear. Made many glass lenses for glueing behind masks over the years. Obviously there are some limitations but without knowing the full Rx, it's hard to judge.

I believe the same hold true for Aqua-See, except you can make those in resins since they are replacements to the plano's.
    J. R. Smith

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by JRS View Post
    For the glue in type (mounted to rear of face plate) there is no reason they must be spheres. Plano front (to glue to plate) with the sphere and the cylinder on the rear. Made many glass lenses for glueing behind masks over the years. Obviously there are some limitations but without knowing the full Rx, it's hard to judge.

I believe the same hold true for Aqua-See, except you can make those in resins since they are replacements to the plano's.
    The mask he has now, is pretty old, and one lens is out. The other is "glued" in with an unknown substance, and I'm afraid to try to pry it loose. What did you use to "glue" the lenses in? I may try to get the other out, and give it a try.

PS On the old pair, it looks like some kind of silicone, only around the edges obviously, but no idea.

Occupation
    I use to get the glue from Edmund Optics (you can find them on the web). I have not done a pair in years, so I don't recall the name.

However, Edmund's deals in multi-lens systems, etc. and the list of glues is fairly large (as are the lenses they sell). At one time I used a UV cure glue, and in some cases, just let it set for a couple of days in the window. Not sure what's available anymore, and you probably don't have a UV light source anyway. The link below might get you started for UV cure adhesives.

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...productID=1597

Personally, if I was you, I'd just send the job to a lab willing to make the lenses for you. Have them re-glue the old lens while they're at it. Not that I care which lab you want to use, but Duffens Optical (Topeka, KS) still processes glass, so they might be one source for you to consider.

BTW - it's quite interesting to note that the "glues" come in various indices of refraction.
    Last edited by JRS; 01-14-2010 at 10:30 PM.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper RX Dive/Snorkling Mask

Started off making these things years ago. Call Scuba Optics in Rockfalls, IL
    815-625-7272.

Call them and have them walk your through the process. These guys are the market leaders and defined the concept all those years ago. Actually they're now making custom drop-ins for masks, so no more Spherical Equivalent's!

An adapter that hangs inside the mask is NOT the way to go. The biggest concern for snorkling/diving is fogging. Put an adapter in there and you introduce two more surfaces to manage.

For the record I have no financial connection. I'm simply a Raving Fan.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hold on there...

Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    The mask he has now, is pretty old, and one lens is out. The other is "glued" in with an unknown substance, and I'm afraid to try to pry it loose. What did you use to "glue" the lenses in? I may try to get the other out, and give it a try.

PS On the old pair, it looks like some kind of silicone, only around the edges obviously, but no idea.
    Typically UV curing glue. I would'nt try prying it out if I were you, more than a few face plates have shattered trying to do that. but if your going to do it you need to heat the face plate and simply twist the face plate back and forth. the twisting action lifts the lens up. Many years ago shops used Epoxy to mount the lenses. this is easily spotted by yellowing.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Put the mask lens plate in nuetralizer, it will loosen the lens, then just scrape the glue off. I've done it before, the Edmunds uv curing glue is great. It's not hard to do, I've done many, just not in quite a few years.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    your patient is hyperope? if so maybe you can consider to use a stick on addition for that purpose. we have tried once here sometime ago and it works.
    Yeap

Occupation
    Back in the good old days we used Canada balsam to bond bifocal segments to lenses or for respirator inserts. It worked real good then and should work real good now. It's main advantage was good retention and yet you could remove it without harming the bifocal or the carrier.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Back in the good old days we used Canada balsam to bond bifocal segments to lenses or for respirator inserts. It worked real good then and should work real good now. It's main advantage was good retention and yet you could remove it without harming the bifocal or the carrier.
    I used to use Oregon balsam on my microscope slides, is it very similar to Canada balsam?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    I believe so. Canada balsam is optically clear and has about the same index of refraction as crown glass.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I believe so. Canada balsam is optically clear and has about the same index of refraction as crown glass.
    OK, the Oregon balsam did have just a hint of yellow to it.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Used the "scuba-specs" and "smoke-specs" (little different glue on tab shape) many times in past, and loved 'em. Can change Rx easily, plus snaps in to different masks. Plus the Rx is mounted much closer to eyes, giving fuller view and less Vertex issues.
    Custom tailored lenses were still my favorite, glued in with UV cure glue. But it's easy to mess up a mask!
    Denny

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What about Scuba.com??
    It'll happen when you least expect it!!

Bad address email on file ldyflsh's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hilco also has a pretty decent scuba set up available. Being in Florida, we have two different styles on display. Check out Hilco.

Thread Information