Thread: silhouette mounting techniques

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

silhouette mounting techniques

I have seen a lot of stuff, esp. with regards to cutting the bushings and tools and tips therein. Still I find it risky.
    Can any of you geniuses chime in on your tips and tricks for a less risky
    mount. I have been doing it for yrs but I find the pliers slip at times, razor blades slip and scratch lenses even taped.

Thanks, I always find your help so prompt and interesting and helpful!!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The original thin titanium Silhouettes are the easiest to glaze I think the problem lies with the thicker metal versions
    Which I think shouldnt have plugs anyone else agree?
    Al

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If there's a Walgreens in lala land get a cuticle trimmer. It has a flat cutting blade that's perfect for trimming the excess off the bushing.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hate to be so mundane, but I've always found the little green-handled nipper Silhouette provides to be quite adequate. Any nipper will crush the tubes a little, so keep a push-pin handy to open up the end of the tube. Never use the cutter for anything else, keep it sharp and smooth. As always, use a light hand.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ditto finefocus. I took my Sil clipper and rounded off the corners with an old 600 grit hand stone then sanded it further with 1000 grit sandpaper. Ran it on my hand polisher and it's as smooth as silk. Anybody that uses it for anything but plastic bushings gets court marshalled! ( I use a separate snip for removing old bushings from mountings.)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

I'm confused.....

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Ditto finefocus. I took my Sil clipper and rounded off the corners with an old 600 grit hand stone then sanded it further with 1000 grit sandpaper. Ran it on my hand polisher and it's as smooth as silk. Anybody that uses it for anything but plastic bushings gets court marshalled! ( I use a separate snip for removing old bushings from mountings.)
    Are you suggesting that Opticians would use a tool for something other than it's intended use?? :bbg:
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    Are you suggesting that Opticians would use a tool for something other than it's intended use?? :bbg:

I've seen opticians use a lens turner for dye pot grabbers!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I guess I have to ditto both of you. We have the Silhouette tools, the rep if they like you can get them free. They work very well. There is even another tool for the thicker Sil. frames and the Adidas frames.:cheers:

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks everyone

I appreciate the laughs from some of you....
    Yes I have always used the nail cutter type of tools, cuticle for airlocks but now where I work they insist on using a razor blade which is very easy to mess up the lens..................................all about "censorship and control", power loves it.

I bid you thanks again. Always fun to kick around old subjects to see what new is reinvented right?

I got one of those priceless people today with the frame flattened (run over by a vehicle...or something...) didn't know what happened...they went to bed and it was on the bedside table...............nuk ......wouldn't we love to play off of that??:bbg:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've seen opticians use a lens turner for dye pot grabbers!

Heresy! Everyone knows you use an Angling plier for that!!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Heresy! Everyone knows you use an Angling plier for that!!

That's exactly what I've told these opticians, right tool for the right job...

:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've found that using a few pieces of scotch tape around the lens area helps with small scratches or pitting. And I agree with the other posters that the green handled tool supplied by Silhouette is really the best tool to use.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    My paw use to tell me "Lucky for guys like us, there is a job for every tool." :p

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is the way I was taught, and it takes longer but the results are flawless:

Put four bushings through your lenses. While PUSHING from the back to keep the "strap" between the two tubes flush against the lens, mark the bushing along the front of the lens with a very fine point sharpie. Remove the four bushings, keeping them in order and set them on your counter. Take a sharp razer blade and hold it perpendicular to the table then push down to cleanly slice your bushings where you've marked them. Depending on the thickness of the lens, the bushings may need to be cut at an angle (one tube shorter than the other). This is OK. (I hate it when people leave them the same length and then there's a wobbly gap in the mounting). Anyway, using a very long, thin needle-nose pliers, I put the bushings back in. (Note, remove any sharpie mark on the lenses BEFORE putting the bushings back in)
    Then, I take my right lens and right temple, push the temple into the bushing, and while it's a little stuck, I start to squeeze with double nylon.
    I hold the lens between my left pointer and thumb. The spot that attaches to the temple is facing away from me. I brace the temple by holding the middle of the temple between the ring and middle fingers on my left hand. The pliers are in my right hand. (I am right handed)
    As it tightens, I keep the temple straight. Repeat for bridge and other temple, and you've got a perfect mounting!!

Thread Information