Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D Prescription Eyewear

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

3D is for real...get ready!

I sit on another board, MicroVision, that is a player in this rapidly-evolving market. And thus have seen much data on how 3D will likely unfold. Short version is: Sony succeeded in reducing the size and weight of the cameras to film in 3D...first obstacle overcome. That allowed Hollywood to go ahead and shoot their future movies in 3D, which they are now doing. Soon, all significant new releases will be available in 3D (most have already been filmed in 3D...out 18 months). Next, after a lengthy standoff, the major movie theater owners and Hollywood reached a truce on how (and who) would absorb the hefty capital cost of installing 3D projection equipment in the theaters. No more obstacles...it's a done deal. Next big leap is to 3D TV, which also was rampant at the recent Consumer Electronics show in Vegas...you can also count on this (don't weap about the big flat screen you just bought...I'm in the same boat!:hammer:).

So should you and your practice get on board? Absolutely! Hope it helps....bh

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm not convinced. Think of the masses out there they dont spend a dime on their glasses, have incredibly old, scratched lenses, rarely get updated prescriptions, yet spend a bundle of HD sets and programming.

Murdah777
    I bought a pair of glasses from an online deal here one time, polycarbonate lenses with an anti-reflective coating. The glasses themselves ended up super scratched up with only light classroom use. Really weird because my other pair from the doctor gets used much more heavily when I drive (tossed around and wiped on my shirt) and it is still scratch free after 2 years.

ativan without prescription
    buy ativan
    Last edited by Murdah777; 10-25-2010 at 03:59 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Redhot Jumper 3D Presciption Eyewear... follow up

Was just curious, what became your conclusion regarding the potential for 3D RX TV lenses?
    I find the concept very interesting, and consumers should be willing to spend the money for it, if the perceived visual quality is high enough.
    In your market; how common are these lenses today? Do you sell it?
    Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by OpticianVlad View Post
    I apologize ahead of time if this has been a previous topic.

I just got home from the movies. Tonight I watched Avatar in 3D.
    I was blown away. The best movie experience I've had in a very long time. I hear they are working on 3D HDTVs for the home.

Do you guys/ladies think there will ever be a market for 3D prescription eyewear? If people invest money on an expensive TV set for their home. They will not continue to use the flimsy shades they hand out at the movies. I had on a pair tonight that was so crooked on me, I wish I had a portable frame warmer :) Plus if a person wears eyeglasses, they would need something more comfortable.

Maybe 3D custom clips will become popular.

What you think?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    This happens to be a subject that we will be posting on this week- Consumer Trends- Eyewear Technology. First Samsung and other companies are coming out with non glasses for their 3D TV sets, so it will be possible that 3D will not be used for watching home movies. The issue is not just TV's, it's cell phones, iPads etc. that will be using 3D Technology. The problem is different glasses, although companies are working on universal 3D glasses. I can tell you that almost all Electronic companies are pushing 3D as the next big thing and 4D as well.

So many Companies are getting into 3D Eyewear, from Gucci, Armani, Calvin, Polaroid, Silhouette, Cocoons have OverRx 3D as well. You can view Technology Eyewear here
    http://opticalvisionresources.com/tag/technology or http://opticalvisionresources.com/ca...yewear-hi-tech. I would imagine that in 3-5 years glasses will not be necessary, but discerning 3D watchers want to have good 3D eyewear. There is even 3D eyewear that can be transformed from regular to 3D. There is fashion eyewear 3D that looks like lady gaga eyewear, plus Lady Gaga is the Fashion Director for Polaroid 3D.
    Wearable Technology is getting bigger and bigger and will become an important category, why let online and gadget companies take away the business?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I apologize ahead of time if this has been a previous topic.

I just got home from the movies. Tonight I watched Avatar in 3D.
    I was blown away. The best movie experience I've had in a very long time. I hear they are working on 3D HDTVs for the home.

Do you guys/ladies think there will ever be a market for 3D prescription eyewear? If people invest money on an expensive TV set for their home. They will not continue to use the flimsy shades they hand out at the movies. I had on a pair tonight that was so crooked on me, I wish I had a portable frame warmer :) Plus if a person wears eyeglasses, they would need something more comfortable.

Maybe 3D custom clips will become popular.

What you think?
    Tom Davies already does a clip range http://www.tdtomdavies.com/3D.html

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    There is 3D Clip Ons- And I think Marchon 3D is doing clips for Revolution, Gunnar and Revolution are doing 3D Clip Ons
    rces.com/gunnar-optiks-revolution-eyewear-3d-clip-ons

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticalcathy View Post
    ...I can tell you that almost all Electronic companies are pushing 3D as the next big thing and 4D as well...
    Height, and length are enough for many. Add "depth" to the dimensional mix and you make a good number of people sick. (cost not withstanding). Now they want to try and warp TIME as well?! The fourth dimension is pushing the laws of physics too far IMHO! Scotty would NOT be amused! :shiner::hammer:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hello Everyone!

Great to see all the discussion on 3D...some very good being passed around. When discussing 3D eyewear options for those that wear glasses, don't forget Cocoons 3D! This is Dave Dean, Vice President of Marketing for Live Eyewear (if you don't know the company, you probably are familiar with our Cocoons OveRx sunglasses or low vision filters).

We are launching Cocoons 3D in February. The frames are the same unbreakable nylon with Soft Touch finish that we offer in our Cocoons sunglass line and will be offered in our Slate frame color. They will feature Polare circular polarized lenses that are compatible with the leading passive 3D systems like RealD that is the most prevalent in theaters (growing rapidly) and will be found in the many passive 3D TVs hitting the market this year. They have a superior fit when worn over glasses and the full wrap design isolates your eyes from ambient light that can create reflections and reduce the vividness of the actual media you are viewing. They feature 40% light transmission to maximize color transmission and are UV400 if worn outdoors.

Any questions? Please don't hesitate to reply to this thread or shoot me an email at ddean@liveeyewear.com.

Cheers,

Dave

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Check out the below links.... For Premium 3D Eyewear.... SFIREX

Personal 3D eyeglasses, custom 3D clip-ons.... all available from iCoat...Your local optical lab.

The best part is that its developed using a special proprietary MT3 coating technology that increases light transmission by 15% or more and provides 88% or more reduced reflections resulting in vivid and brighter 3D experience.

Coolest Products at CES 2011
    http://hdguru.com/the-coolest-products-at-the-2011-ces/3748/

Optical Vision Site Reviews on 3D
    http://theopticalvisionsite.com/technology/new-optical-technology-3d-eyewear-what-the-ecp-should-know/
    http://theopticalvisionsite.com/technology/jon-landau-3d-past-present-future/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sfirex-With-Bottom Edge-Final.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	7637

iCoat's ad from magazine.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Height, and length are enough for many. Add "depth" to the dimensional mix and you make a good number of people sick. (cost not withstanding). Now they want to try and warp TIME as well?! The fourth dimension is pushing the laws of physics too far IMHO! Scotty would NOT be amused! :shiner::hammer:
    I get lost after the 3rd dimension as well. But I guess a chair that moves with the camera action or having a hot or cold blast of air hit you depending on the scene of the film can be considered another dimension of experience.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Ye canna' change the laws o' physics!
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get lost after the 3rd dimension as well. But I guess a chair that moves with the camera action or having a hot or cold blast of air hit you depending on the scene of the film can be considered another dimension of experience.
    The old Power Plant in Baltimore used to have a theater they called the 'Sensorium' or something along those lines, that I used to visit as a kid. It did something similar - 3D, fans, and jets of scent to simulate walking through apple orchards, the beach, popcorn etc. The seats moved in that nostalgic jerkish motion that almost left you with a mild case of whiplash too...but damn it was cool for a 9 year old! :)

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    You could always cross the event-horizon of the supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy (if you can find a way to get there). It's so large that the tidal forces won't spagettify you immediately like they would in a solar-mass black hole. As you approach the singularity, the laws of physics are assumed to break down completely. Only problem is, much like the "afterlife" you won't be coming back to tell us how it worked out for you.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    I'm going to bet that 3D glasses will be obsolete very quickly. The first indicator would be the new Nintendo DSI 3D that does not require 3D glasses.....
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I attended the 3D@home presenttion the Vision Monday Summit last week. I would completely disgree with 3D (pssive style using circular polarizers) going obsolete anytime soon.

Think "Fax" technology: Should hve been obsolete years (decades?) go. But its simplicity, low cost, and broad availability gave it legs.

B

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

Blue Jumper

There are many indicators that the 3D TVs will eventually be without glasses. But that's not happening for long. Samsung, the experts who demonstrated their prototype, a state-of-the-art innovation in 3D TVs without glasses, at CES 2011 agrees to that as well. Please review the link below.

http://www.3d-display-info.com/samsu...on+and+news%29

Overall, the industry is shifting towards the use of circular-polarized passive-3D eyewear. iCoat's Sfirex 3D eyewear gives brighter and vivid 3D experience. iCoat's Sfirex premium passive 3D eyewear is an example where the light transmission is better than any other passive pair of 3D eyewear available in the market, has been recognized as one of the coolest products at CES and gives 88% reduced reflections than the give-away pair you get at the theaters.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Damn it Jim, I'm just a simple country Optician not a miracle worker.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Several companies are now starting to provide Prescription 3D Glasses.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Awesome thread! I love movies and the thought of having your own 3D eyewear seems marvelous. Got to follow what's next on this thread.

Thread Information