Thread: Good yogic exercises for weak eye sights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bad address email on file VictorBush's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Good yogic exercises for weak eye sights

1. Palming: - To rest and relax your eyes, sit comfortably in front of a table, resting your elbows on a stack of cushions high enough to bring your palms easily to your eyes without stooping forward or looking up.
    2. Swinging: - Relax and keep the eyes mobile. Stand up and focus on a distant point, swaying gently from side to side. Repeat 100 times daily, blinking as you sway. Blinking cleans and lubricates the eyes, which is especially important if you spend a lot of time in front of a computer.
    3. Remember to keep your gaze at shoulder level. You may raise your fingers or stick two ballpoint pens on your shoulders to guide you. Place them in a convenient way so that you are able to clearly see them when you move your eyes left and right.
    4. Look as far as possible and inhale then look down as far as possible and exhale. Blink your eyes more than dozen times. Do the same procedure by turning to your left and right then diagonally up to left, down to right, up to right and down to left followed by rapid blinking.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Very good

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And here I thought this guy had it all worked out.

http://www.utahsnaturaleyes.com/

*giggle* :cheers::cheers::cheers:

One born every minute....still.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

I don't teach eye exercises or potions

I was wondering why I was getting hits from this website.

Hey Mr. Ulleann that was uncalled for :finger: :bbg:

Your in Salt Lake? You should come to one of my free introductory classes to find out more of what I do before you compare it to eye exercises(eye pushups, eye aerobics, eye yoga)

Points 1 and 2 above are nice self healing activites but will have little effect without knowing the blurry vision habits to avoid and the clear vision behaviors to reintegrate.

Points 3 and 4 are eye exercises which have very little to do with Natural Perfect Eyesight and will often exasterbate the causes of blurry vision.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm calling BS.

Seriously, despite your comment downplaying palming, it is obvious from your website that you integrate this potentially harmful activity in your program.

Its amazing how easy it is to package garbage as holistic or natural or alternative and people eat it up like crazy.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Yes there is a lot of quackery, and charlotinism out there, and there is a lot of stone age thinking in the field medicine as well.

It doesn't affect my honest work and the honest work of other great Natural Eyesight Improvement teachers. I have been researching blurry vision habits and clear vision behavior my whole life. Natural Perfect Eyesight is so much better than vision that is dependant upon artificial corrections(glasses, contacts, surgery). The fact is that my students are reducing their prescriptions. My students also notice a huge relief of tension and strain when they relearn to see clearly naturally.

I don't ever downplay palming. I just say that palming without a knowledge of blurry vision habits and clear vision behaviors is very quickly neutralized by artificial corrections. Correct palming is never harmful and most always brings benefit to vision.

People don't like the very invasive procedures like cutting burning and poisoning that are being performed on our bodies these days and they are so sick and tired of these very invasive procedures being pushed as the only options. Once they are done we are never quite the same again. People intuitively seek after ways of helping the body heal itself. This does make them weak to all kinds of potions and "one size fits all" nutrition and quackery.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalEyes View Post
    I was wondering why I was getting hits from this website.

Hey Mr. Ulleann that was uncalled for :finger: :bbg:

Your in Salt Lake? You should come to one of my free introductory classes to find out more of what I do before you compare it to eye exercises(eye pushups, eye aerobics, eye yoga)...
    First of all, you mis-spelled my name. Perhaps some OTC +1.00's might help?

Second, while I appreciate the offer - no thanks. I've done enough research over the years, and had a number of others just as yourself (Anyone remember the "See Clearly Method" hawked on the radio about ten years ago - same dish.) making claims that I feel to be dangerous and extremely misleading to an unaware public. And yes, I've looked over your website extensively and the direct claims you make - as well as the disclaimers. Let's just say I wasn't thrilled by the time I was done...but that was my own experience.

I would like to remind you of a simple truth which is you can no sooner cure advanced stage cancer or remove a brain tumor than you can "cure" refractive error using 'wishful thinking' or 're-training' the body to be cancer or tumor proof. It's simply bad medicine, dangerous and will result in some horrible outcomes.

May I suggest that if you truly wish to excel at your chosen profession, that you attend a good solid four years of human biological sciences at a local university, (probably the U and not the Y, as the U is a much more medically oriented facility) - then follow that up with a full four year optometry program - follow that with a year or two residency, probably in a Vision Therapy setting, and finally a good eight years of med school with a strong and solid emphasis on ophthalmology and surgical technique?

Then my good man, I do believe you would be far far better poised to actually understand the claims you are making, and how your current treatment methods relate to known ophthalmic medicine and treatment (both western and eastern). Perhaps too - you will be far better equipped to actually help people, instead of what is occurring now. Which is, I believe, what you really want to do.

:p:shiner::cheers:

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Fraud alert

Quote Originally Posted by VictorBush View Post

1. Palming: - To rest and relax your eyes, sit comfortably in front of a table, resting your elbows on a stack of cushions high enough to bring your palms easily to your eyes without stooping forward or looking up.

2. Swinging: - Relax and keep the eyes mobile. Stand up and focus on a distant point, swaying gently from side to side. Repeat 100 times daily, blinking as you sway. Blinking cleans and lubricates the eyes, which is especially important if you spend a lot of time in front of a computer.

3. Remember to keep your gaze at shoulder level. You may raise your fingers or stick two ballpoint pens on your shoulders to guide you. Place them in a convenient way so that you are able to clearly see them when you move your eyes left and right.

4. Look as far as possible and inhale then look down as far as possible and exhale. Blink your eyes more than dozen times. Do the same procedure by turning to your left and right then diagonally up to left, down to right, up to right and down to left followed by rapid blinking.
    No thanks.

Fraud.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vt

When I was a child they put me through VT. It did stregthen my eye sight. I still needed surgery for for Exothrouphia but I really beleive it helped. My parents purchased a large black board and I would stand close to the board and draw large circles focusing on the center where the two circles met. also bringing the pencil to the nose, stuff like that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I understand VT and how it is commonly employed today. However, what it being claimed here is not VT. It is something far more Grey and potentially dangerous. Hence the calls for full disclosure and detailed explanations. Still waiting.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Bottom line...show me a study showing that these sort of things work. In 1812 there was a man who came to town with "doc johnson's magical elixer". The FDA instituted rules saying you can't sell stuff to people as medicine unless it is proven. The same thing goes with therapy and exercises for the eyes. If it works so well....do a placebo study. It separates medicine from quackery.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Oh, this thread is still going. Haven't checked it out in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by thiaeyemd View Post
    Bottom line...show me a study showing that these sort of things work. In 1812 there was a man who came to town with "doc johnson's magical elixer". The FDA instituted rules saying you can't sell stuff to people as medicine unless it is proven. The same thing goes with therapy and exercises for the eyes. If it works so well....do a placebo study. It separates medicine from quackery.
    Studies are above my budget right now and beyond my team. They were also done very thoroughly by Dr. William H. Bates a hundred years ago. I'm too busy getting the word out that most people are supposed to have natural perfect eyesight, and that 60 to 80 percent of people are not supposed to have ever worsening eyesight and correlating eye diseases of macular degeneration, retinal detachment, and cataracts. Too busy getting the word out that natural perfect eyesight is intuitive but the idea of "eye exercises"(eye pushups, eye drills, eye yoga) is incorrect.

I am also busy helping my students improve their eyesight and keep up with reduced prescriptions. I have these records kept by their optometrists and I am keeping records myself.

These days for me what separates medicine and their quackery from Natural Optimal Health is whether it makes me feel more or less human.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think the FDA can't regulate exterior voodoo. Only stuff that is either consumed or alters the body. Stuff like Restasis can get by if you spend enough money even though the active ingredient doesn't work, only the vehicle (castor oil) works.
    However no one could/would patent an exercise, too hard to enforce and too hard to prove you were the first. That's why no one patented Castor Oil, had to add drugs and preservatives to get a patent.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Get Rid of the Spectacle Nuisance .......................................

Get Rid of the Spectacle Nuisance

Regain Your Eye Freedom

SIMPLY-SATISFACTORILY-SAFELY The Natural Eyesight System
    Tells You How

No Doctoring-No Drugs-No Danger
    Nothing to Wear and Nothing to Fear

THIS IS THE NATURAL EYE NORMALIZER
    The Natural Eye Normalizer is the most important invention which makes it practical for you and your family to have and enjoy the complete revolutionary NATURAL EYESIGHT SYSTEM in the privacy of your own home. It administers a most effective treatment for relaxing tense eyes, resting tired eyes and relieving strained eyes. Operated by a simple "Twist of the Wrist," it can be used with perfect safety by everyone. Your Eyes Were Made to See With

Take Off Your Eye Crutches and Enjoy Stronger Eyes
    See the Way Nature Intended You to See

This 1930's ad was produced by the Natural Eyesight Institute manufacturer of the Natural Eye Normalizer, a metal device finished in chrome with rubber gaskets fitting the eyes. The device came with five booklets describing treatments and containing logs to record eye excercises. How did it work? It didn't!
    The "patient" applied the device to the eyes shutting out all light. The handle on the side of the device allows the gaskets to rotate slightly to massage the eyelids. In theory, the device was supposed to relax the eyes thereby eliminating all vision problems. The device had no effect on vision problems.
    This device is one of many which sought to cash in on the theory promoted by William Horatio Bates, M.D. who published The Cure of Imperfect Eyesight by Treatment Without Glasses in 1920. Dr. Bates wrongly suggested that relaxation would cure vision problems. Today, many of his followers have altered his theory by suggesting that eye exercise will cure vision problems (and there is a kernel of truth in this for eye exercise is recommended for conditions like lazy eye and crossed eyes). In mystical ways, Bates followers suggest practicing how and where to focus, rotating eyes from left to right and back again to increase peripheral vision and more. For almost all vision problems, eye exercise has no effect. Claims that the Bates theory and exercise may 'eliminate the need for glasses and contacts' are false.
    These claims are made today by sellers of pinhole eyeglasses and expensive consultants who lead vision therapy 'classes.' "It is difficult to understand the widespread popularity of the Bates System unless one considers that its followers make up what is essentially a cult. Its practitioners are faith healers who appeal to the gullible, the neurotic, the highly emotional, and the psychosomatic…. ‘Perfect sight without glasses’ is an empty promise," say Russell S. Worrall, O.D. and Jacob Nevyas, Ph.D. (cited by George Nava True II). True relates
    "In 1956, Dr. Philip Pollack, a Manhattan optometrist, wrote The Truth About Eye Exercises which exposed the flaws in the Bates System. Alas, Pollack’s book was soon forgotten while the Bates System lives on."
    See Can Eye Exercises Improve Vision? by George Nava True II.
    Urbane Barrett, owner of the Natural Eyesight Institute, was convicted of mail fraud in 1937 - a year before the U. S. Food and Drug Administration was authorized to regulate medical devices.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    That again. That's like me putting an advertisement up for bloodletting like it represents all of modern medicine today. It only shows how ignorant the presenter is.

That device has nothing to do with The Bates Method. Bates vehemently discouraged any contact with the eyeballs.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Bates Method

Vision Education
    This is the Website of the Bates Association for Vision Education. The purpose of these pages is to inform you about vision improvement.
    We teach people how to improve their eyesight without lenses or surgery.
    In addition we teach people how to increase their chances of healing in cases of degenerative eye disease.

http://www.seeing.org/

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Bates = quack.
    Case closed.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Bates = quack.
    Case closed.
    That's your argument? That's like a little kid not getting his way saying "I hate you!!!", "I know you are but what am I"

I have students that are improving their eyesight and their current prescriptions are becoming too strong again and again. If the prescriptions are too strong, the optometrists have to reduce them to meet their needs.

Troy Ballard
    natueyes
    Last edited by NaturalEyes; 10-09-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If it walks like a duck..............QUACKS like a duck............

....................it usually IS a duck.

"I have students that are improving their eyesight and their current prescriptions are becoming too strong again and again."

Congratulations on observing a statistical and genetic condition.

.Quack.......... quack....................quack.............................quack.........................quack...........................quack.....................

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To the consumers reading this thread and wondering what to believe:

If you are nearsighted or farsighted, it's because your eyeball is longer or shorter front-to-back than is optimal, or your corneal curvature is steeper or flatter than optimal, or some combination of those factors. In other words, it's the shape of your eye. Nothing we do with eyeglasses will change that for the better, or for the worse. Eyeglasses are not therapeutic in either a positive or a negative way. The exception to that is external muscle imbalance/double-vision issues which can be corrected assuming you are still young enough.

On the subject of astigmatism:

Again, it's the shape of the eye, not some disease or medical condition. You could argue that every human has astigmatism (whether or not they have clinical levels, measureable and correctable). To say you have zero astigmatism, you have to say that the front surface of your cornea, the back surface, the front surface of the crystaline lens, and the back surface, and the retina, all have exactly symmetrical, machine-perfect curvatures (or they have asymmetry exactly canceled by the asymmetry of the other structures). Show me, in nature, a perfectly straight line, or perfect circle, or exact 90 degree corner. It doesn't happen.

None of this is due to wearing, or not wearing, eyeglasses. None of this is corrected by "eye exercises" or other such nonsense.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it were coming out of anywhere other than Happy Valley Utah (locals will know what that means!) I almost wouldn't believe that Dr??? Quackenstein bothered to dredge up this old tripe ridden thread. It's like eye "care" from a zombie apocalypse...it just refuses to die and stay dead!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hehehe...

Well, I had another one call on Monday. Pt is claiming they has done some of this stuff, and bought the sale of it hook, line, and sinker. And they "knows" they doesn't need glasses for everything far away (claiming their current correction is -2.50 or thereabout). And as they scheduled their eye exam with one of our state licensed optometrists, they kept emphatically stating: "I don't want your doctors to tell me I'm wrong. Other doctors haven't been receptive to these 'superior treatment options' and I KNOW they work for everyone!" All the while I'm crying in my efforts to stifle my bursts of laughter as I schedule the appointment with a real doctor - to address all the vision issues that somehow were left behind after the exercises failed to permanently take. Apparently. Our boy down in the next county still has his website up...

This should be F-U-N!

Pt has just arrived. It will be interesting to see what the phoropter says today. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Hehehe...

Well, I had another one call on Monday. Pt is claiming they has done some of this stuff, and bought the sale of it hook, line, and sinker. And they "knows" they doesn't need glasses for everything far away (claiming their current correction is -2.50 or thereabout). And as they scheduled their eye exam with one of our state licensed optometrists, they kept emphatically stating: "I don't want your doctors to tell me I'm wrong. Other doctors haven't been receptive to these 'superior treatment options' and I KNOW they work for everyone!" All the while I'm crying in my efforts to stifle my bursts of laughter as I schedule the appointment with a real doctor - to address all the vision issues that somehow were left behind after the exercises failed to permanently take. Apparently. Our boy down in the next county still has his website up...

This should be F-U-N!

Pt has just arrived. It will be interesting to see what the phoropter says today. :)
    Oooh, ooh, spill the beans, how was it?
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Soooo hey on the same note of weirdness, has anyone heard of this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-eye_hallucination

and are there any voodoo, home brew, wives tales, druidic practices or incantations that might help?

Thread Information