Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good yogic exercises for weak eye sights

Bad address email on file VictorBush's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Good yogic exercises for weak eye sights

1. Palming: - To rest and relax your eyes, sit comfortably in front of a table, resting your elbows on a stack of cushions high enough to bring your palms easily to your eyes without stooping forward or looking up.
    2. Swinging: - Relax and keep the eyes mobile. Stand up and focus on a distant point, swaying gently from side to side. Repeat 100 times daily, blinking as you sway. Blinking cleans and lubricates the eyes, which is especially important if you spend a lot of time in front of a computer.
    3. Remember to keep your gaze at shoulder level. You may raise your fingers or stick two ballpoint pens on your shoulders to guide you. Place them in a convenient way so that you are able to clearly see them when you move your eyes left and right.
    4. Look as far as possible and inhale then look down as far as possible and exhale. Blink your eyes more than dozen times. Do the same procedure by turning to your left and right then diagonally up to left, down to right, up to right and down to left followed by rapid blinking.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Very good

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And here I thought this guy had it all worked out.

http://www.utahsnaturaleyes.com/

*giggle* :cheers::cheers::cheers:

One born every minute....still.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

I don't teach eye exercises or potions

I was wondering why I was getting hits from this website.

Hey Mr. Ulleann that was uncalled for :finger: :bbg:

Your in Salt Lake? You should come to one of my free introductory classes to find out more of what I do before you compare it to eye exercises(eye pushups, eye aerobics, eye yoga)

Points 1 and 2 above are nice self healing activites but will have little effect without knowing the blurry vision habits to avoid and the clear vision behaviors to reintegrate.

Points 3 and 4 are eye exercises which have very little to do with Natural Perfect Eyesight and will often exasterbate the causes of blurry vision.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm calling BS.

Seriously, despite your comment downplaying palming, it is obvious from your website that you integrate this potentially harmful activity in your program.

Its amazing how easy it is to package garbage as holistic or natural or alternative and people eat it up like crazy.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Yes there is a lot of quackery, and charlotinism out there, and there is a lot of stone age thinking in the field medicine as well.

It doesn't affect my honest work and the honest work of other great Natural Eyesight Improvement teachers. I have been researching blurry vision habits and clear vision behavior my whole life. Natural Perfect Eyesight is so much better than vision that is dependant upon artificial corrections(glasses, contacts, surgery). The fact is that my students are reducing their prescriptions. My students also notice a huge relief of tension and strain when they relearn to see clearly naturally.

I don't ever downplay palming. I just say that palming without a knowledge of blurry vision habits and clear vision behaviors is very quickly neutralized by artificial corrections. Correct palming is never harmful and most always brings benefit to vision.

People don't like the very invasive procedures like cutting burning and poisoning that are being performed on our bodies these days and they are so sick and tired of these very invasive procedures being pushed as the only options. Once they are done we are never quite the same again. People intuitively seek after ways of helping the body heal itself. This does make them weak to all kinds of potions and "one size fits all" nutrition and quackery.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You mind telling me the last time I cut, burned, or poisoned a patient?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I would like to hear from someone in the optometric community on this subject especially with extensive knowledge and experience in VT. Not because I'm comparing the two, obviously they are different, but because they may have a unique insight regarding benefits of "eye exercises," movements, amplitude of accommodation, vergences, etc.
    I am not so closed-minded to say something is BS because I don't know about it or it is not accepted as a standard of care. I will say that Natural Eye Sight in this context is and that I am skeptical of Mr. Ballard's claims as well as his training and knowledge of the visual system.
    Last edited by nickrock; 12-27-2009 at 02:08 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

gunner05:

In this statement I didn't mean you in general or even optometry specifically. "Cutting, Burning, and Poisoning" is a term I got from my optometrist to describe the very superficial but highly invasive common practices of modern medicine. Cutting - cutting into the body, surgery, lasik. Burning - lasers etc. to remove "bad tissue and glands". Poisoning - like kemo therapy to kill "bad tissues and glands", or substances to force the body out of undesired conditions.

It is a way of saying that a few dedicaated people who aren't confined to the current structure of medicine are learning that our bodies are able to heal themselves of undesired and deadly conditions without these invasive human reducing procedures when properly supported.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    My awareness of VT and where I place it in the realm of what is done for eyesight is that it is very focused on structure and function of the eyes and changing that directly and consciously moment by moment.

Natural Eyesight Improvement focuses on recognising the blurry vision habits and stopping them, and reintegrating the clear vision behaviors. When we do this the brain does what's necessary to heve clear easy eyesight without consciously directly trying to control the eye muscles and movements moment by moment.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrock View Post
    I would like to hear from someone in the optometric community on this subject especially with extensive knowledge and experience in VT. Not because I'm comparing the two, obviously they are different, but because they may have a unique insight regarding benefits of "eye exercises," movements, amplitude of accommodation, vergences, etc.
    I am not so closed-minded to say something is BS because I don't know about it or it is not accepted as a standard of care. I will say that Natural Eye Sight in this contest is and that I am skeptical of Mr. Ballard's claims as well as his training and knowledge of the visual system.
    Vision therapy is a completely different beast, and very rarely has anything to do with "blurry vison." VT is mainly used to improve binocular and accommodative function so that the patient can achieve comfortable single vision. Often time lenses and prisms can be used in lieu of VT, but the ideal treatment for a a good number of those problems really is VT, unless the patient is willing to invest in multiple pairs. :p

While I firmly believe in the value of VT (and have successfully done it) I personally don't practice it much because 1) patients are resistant to any effort on their part 2) don't want to pay for it and 3) its only successful when patients are fully motivated. I now mostly prescribe prism and multifocals, and have even done multiple pairs under certain conditions.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalEyes View Post
    My awareness of VT and where I place it in the realm of what is done for eyesight is that it is very focused on structure and function of the eyes and changing that directly and consciously moment by moment.
    VT has absolutely nothing to do with structure of the eyes, its really about improving function (but NOT clarity - expect for cases of accommodative dysfunction) without any structural or physical changes and it often does require very conscious effort during therapy.

Natural Eyesight Improvement focuses on recognising the blurry vision habits and stopping them, and reintegrating the clear vision behaviors. When we do this the brain does what's necessary to heve clear easy eyesight without consciously directly trying to control the eye muscles and movements moment by moment.
    Maybe you'd quell our spectisicm by revealing some of these blurry/clear vision habits? Or is that proprietary? Otherwise you're not exactly saying anything at all with this statement.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Boy am I ever glad to know that my extreme myopia was just due to my bad visual habits. I totally learned how to see only a few inches away, instead of learning to focus at infinity.
    Catch-phrase, buzzword way to separate fools from their money.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Boy am I ever glad to know that my extreme myopia was just due to my bad visual habits. I totally learned how to see only a few inches away, instead of learning to focus at infinity.
    Catch-phrase, buzzword way to separate fools from their money.
    And, I must have been a bad baby and not listened to my parents when they told me to think of the surface of a basketball and not a football. Had I only known. I would not have had to spent seventy years with the heartbreak of astigmatism.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    First off, those who equate push-up eye exercises with optometric vision therapy don't know anything about either.

Optometric vision therapy is rarely used to "treat" myopia or presbyopia. As others have said, it is used for binocular conditions such as convergence insufficiency at near, or divergence excess, or supression (in cases of anisometropia or possibly strabismus).

Optometric vision therapy is also not to be confused with the Bates method, as among other things, Bates was an ophthalmologist.

Claims that moving the eyes to different or more relaxing postures, or blinking to lubricate the eye will reduce myopia or presbyopia are rubbish. These are just common sense ocular comfort measures. Similar to changing your posture when seated for a long time. I had an OD friend at one time that produced a bio-feedback instrument that monitored ciliary activity, and by listening to your own feedback, you could reduce your accomodative "stress". Never met a patient that his/her myopia cured.

It is clear that not all myopia is the result of near tasks. A minority of cases are associated with esophoria, or convergence excess, and is easily detectable during a full optometric binocular evaluation. In these cases, certain vision skills can be learned and practiced, and they might have a stabilizing effect. These skills may include smooth pursuits, saccades, ductions, convergence, shifting focus from distance to near.

The vast majority of myopia is presumed to be genetic or structural. Some studies show that whether the periphery of the retina has a prolate or oblate shape (genetic), will determine if myopia will progress.

So, there is a lot more to it then we understand at the moment.

Caveat emptor.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Optometric vision therapy is also not to be confused with the Bates method, as among other things, Bates was an ophthalmologist
    A minor point, William Bates was an M.D. but not an ophthalmologist (perhaps he would have been refered to as an oculist.) He first published in 1919 way before ophthalmology was a sub-specialty. You can download his first work, Perfect Sight Without Glasses here:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Perfec...ithout_Glasses

Bates Method aside he was indeed an interesting chap.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I'd be glad to summarize them for you as best I can. They are not proprietary. In fact some people return to them naturally when they lose their glasses and never need glasses again. I teach a seven class course to clarify all the blurry vision habits to recognize and avoid, all the clear vision habits to reintegrate into our daily lives, and all the many self healing activities to siphon off the strain and tension and damage of blurry vision habits and artificial corrections. In our modern society we have learned many things that interfere with our natural perfect eyesight.

Blurry Vision Habits>

-Staring: staring basically means holding our eyes still or parking our eyes. Our eyes are supposed to move, it regenerates them and the image we get from our retina. People with Natural Perfect Eyesight have eyes that move from point to point around 800 to 1200 times per minute. People with blurry vision habits squelch their eye movement to less than 300 times per minute.

-Diffusion: our eyes are built to see most distinctly in the center of where we are looking. We have cones in our retina which are most densely packed in the center. We are supposed to allow our eyes to move to pick up many distinct points in our world. Our brain puts these distinct points together into one amazing picture in our brain. When we diffuse we try to see everything perfectly distinctly all at the same time without moving our eyes. This is impossible but our brain makes a lot of effort to try to do what we want. This puts a lot of strain and tension into our vision system which squeezes our eyes out of shape and gives us blurry vision.

-Strain and Tension: Artificial corrections(glasses, contacts, surgery) don't take away eye strain, they only change it into a more tolerable form. When we have nearsighted blurry vision we tend to jut our heads forward to clear it up, this is a huge strain on our neck. Glasses make the image clear but the image is smaller so we also jut our heads forward to make the image larger. When we have blurry vision habits we can't tolerate movement. We hold our bodies very still and even squelch breathing and blinking. This jutting of the head throws our whole posture out of balance.

Clear Vision Behaviors>

-Movement: Allowing our eyes to move from one point to another is the way they work best. They learn to be quite dynamic and adaptive. When our eyes move our brain has much more information to work with and so our vision has amazing 3D, textural, and color qualities. People with blurry vision habits tend to see flat and grey.

-Centralization: centralization is allowing our eyes to see most distinctly in the center of where we are looking. When we do this our eyes become much more sensitive. Centralization is part of our auto focus system. When we diffuse, the opposite of centralization, we pull our focus away from what we want to see clearly.

-Relaxation: Relaxation is a very important principle of seeing clearly. The blurry vision habits bring lots of tension and strain. All people with blurry vision habits have a tight neck and shoulders. I and other Natural Eyesight Improvement teachers associate the increases in eye diseases like macular degeneration, retinal detachment, and others with the increase in the amount of people wearing artificial corrections and the increasing average strength of people prescriptions.

These are the basics. I teach a much more detailed seven week class. I use the book Relearning to See http://bit.ly/Q3S6z as a course book. My students are realizing how much strain and tension are they have built up with blurry vision habits and artificial corrections. They are amazed by how wonderful it is to siphon these off. As they unlearn the blurry vision habits they are getting regular reduced prescriptions. Some have even reached 20/40 to 20/10 vision already and are no longer bound by their glasses.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    NaturalEyes,

how many lines of improvement have been achieved? count fingers at 5 ft to 20/10?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    K12311997,

One of the most dramatic improvements I've heard of in recent days is of Trudy Olsen http://bit.ly/5YayzT . She learned under my teacher Thomas R Quackenbush. She went from -14 diopters to passing her drivers license exam at the end of his 7 week course. Normally taking an average of most students with all levels of blurr, people get to good vision(at least passing the drivers license exam or reading without glasses) in an average of two years.

"count fingers at 5 ft to 20/10?"

Sorry I'm not getting what you are asking there.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm refering to uncorrected acuity.

question 2 if bad vision is learned why is it that 100 of thousands of Lasik patients (who have been proberly screened for a stable Rx and didn't just choose the least expensive surgery center.) maintain post operative acuities and not revert to their pre op acuity

Occupation
    Optometrist
    K12311997,

One of the most dramatic improvements I've heard of in recent days is of Trudy Olsen http://bit.ly/5YayzT . She learned under my teacher Thomas R Quackenbush. She went from -14 diopters to passing her drivers license exam at the end of his 7 week course. Normally taking an average of most students with all levels of blurr, people get to good vision(at least passing the drivers license exam or reading without glasses) in an average of two years.

Great, now there's a person legally blind without their correction driving a vehicle. :hammer:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Oedema

I'll give you more clarity. She went in to get lens requirement removed from her drivers license. In order to have no lens requirment on her license she would need to see at least 20/40 in most states and Canada. She also brought a note from her optometrist verifying that she measured 20/30 without corrections. Her optometrist also wrote a note saying that there was no evidence of LASIK.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    K12311997,

Holy crap, with that name, I really was hoping that this was just a troll. Then I looked up ole Mr. Quacky and he does exist. Wow.

And, yes, you were singling me out as I do adhere to modern medicine. It is a science that I help practice.

Now, you mentioned that moving your eyes regenerates them... What the hell is being regenerated??????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If eye muscle movements are the major factor in reversing myopia and presbyopia, why do things like video games, which require a lot of eye movements, not help to ameliorate the conditions? In fact, video games are often blamed for the increase of myopia...although studies have shown this to not necessarily be true.

Other studies have shown that there is a lower incidence of myopia in those that spend more time outdoors engaged in physical activity, even if they also do a lot of near work, compared to someone that does not have as much outdoor activity.

Also, a comment was made that as some people get older they no longer need their glasses, so they just stop using them. Generally, this refers to a common phenomenon called "second sight". It refers to the fact that the crystalline lens, as it ages, increases in density, in certain parts, thereby increasing it's refracting power and reducing the need for plus lenses at near. What these folks fail to mention is that their distance acuity usually drops with this process...and you would be surprised how many people with vision in the 20/40 to 20/100 range think they don't need corrective lenses to function. Second sight, as it is called, is often an indicator that full blown cataracts are not far behind. So eyecare consumer beware...if you stop needing your reading glasses, you WILL be getting cataracts and suffering from reduced distance visual acuity.

Many of us, including eyecare professionals, have to get away from the notion that corrective lenses cause myopia or presbyopia to develop (or worsen). Myopes become myopic before they ever set foot into their eye doctors office to get lenses. The myopia starts first, they go to the optometrist (or whomever) second. So if the spectacle correction did not cause the condition in the first place, what makes us necessarily think it causes the problem to worsen? Remember, the problem developed and worsened before the glasses.

There is also a notion widely held, even by eyecare professionals, that if a myope wears his/her glasses for near work they are damaging or further "weakening" their eyes. Numerous studies have shown that myopes that don't wear their glasses still get worse, and to a slightly higher degree than those that do wear them. "Weakening" the eyes is such a misnomer here, as we all know that what is happening in most cases of myopia is that the "strength" of the crystalline lens is increasing.

Some often give the advice that when a young 2 diopter myope reads, they should remove their glasses...but consider this... When a young emmetrope does near work, do we automatically tell them to put on plus 2.00? No, of course not. When a myope wears their -2.00, they are essentially (optically) rendered "normal"...just like the emmetrope. Except in cases of esophoria/tropia, convergence excess or a high AC/A ratio, there is no evidence that removing distance correction is helpful. So when you tell your young two diopter myope to remove their glasses when they read, you are essentially telling them to wear a two diopter add....and reading without glasses is what essentially drove them into the eye doctor in the first place...for reduced distance acuity.

There is much more scientifically published on this subject...yet certain notions persist. I could type for days on the subject and really only scratch the surface. Vision scientists have only scratched the surface. Those who develop programs and advice to sell to the public without being a student of this science are deluding themselves... and the public.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner05 View Post
    Holy crap, with that name, I really was hoping that this was just a troll. Then I looked up ole Mr. Quacky and he does exist. Wow.
    haha that make me laugh when I read it to!

Thread Information