Thread: Vsp accept or exempt opticians 2010

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vsp accept or exempt opticians 2010

Will 2010 be the year opticians can accept vsp members or will opticians continue to be exempt. Is this even legal? I licensed person trained to fit glasses being exempt because of thier title. If not eligle it seems unethical, it is eligle to exclude to color, race,age, creed but by title I guess it is okay. Now that marchon is involved I was told that they might open this up and opticians would be included. Anyone have any newinformation?have opticians stopped purchasing from marchon until they allows optician to participate?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Their sandbox isn't big enough to invite us to play.

Who needs em anyway?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    VSP: into it for themselves, only.

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Betcha if they do open it up like it was (back in the dark ages when they let us bill) we'll get treated and paid differently than the doctors do.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Why dont we have our trade association take this legal matter to the proper authorities to get some type of resolution ?!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stand by for rant...

Quote Originally Posted by mshimp View Post
    Why dont we have our trade association take this legal matter to the proper authorities to get some type of resolution ?!

Our trade association? Yeah...right!

Here's an excerpt from our August newsletter:

Joint VSP/PBA Survey Finds Most Kids Under Six Have Never Had Eye Exams
    A new survey of nearly 1,500 participants-co-sponsored by VSP Vision Care and Prevent Blindness America-indicates that more than one in five 12- to 17-year-olds have difficulty seeing the classroom blackboard, with more than 25 percent complaining of headaches. One possible reason? According to the survey, almost two-thirds (66 percent) of children under the age of six have never had an eye exam by an eye doctor.
    These complaints about vision problems and headaches were noted even though 45 percent of the children in this age group wear some type of prescription eyewear, the survey indicates. Additional survey findings show that one in four six- to 11-year-olds wears prescription glasses, and that the prevalence of common eye conditions, as reported by parents, increases with the child?s age.
    ?The survey provides a clear example of why regular eye exams are so important as children progress in school.? said Gary Brooks, VSP Vision Care?s president. ?Most parents probably assume once a prescription is given, there isn?t a need for further follow-up. However, the survey results reinforce the need for regular eye exams as kids? eyes continue to change and adapt.?
    PBA recommends that all children have their vision checked at infancy and regularly throughout childhood, and that if a child fails a vision screening, or if there is any concern of an eye or vision problem, he or she should be referred for a complete eye exam by an eye doctor (ophthalmologist or optometrist).
    The American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Association for the Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus all recommend a combination of primary care doctor eye evaluations and vision screenings with a referral for a complete eye exam by an eye doctor, according to VSP. The American Optometric Association recommends that all children have a complete eye exam by an eye doctor at ages six months, three years and five years, and that between six and 18, children should visit an eye doctor at least every two years, or more if recommended by an eyecare practitioner. The VSP/PBS Consumer Eyewear and Eyecare Survey, conducted in May, questioned 1,499 U.S. residents aged 18 and older...

Yeah, that's what I want to see in the newsletter of the association I pay dues to. An article quoting the president of the company that is excluding opticians from any participation in any of their plans, tell me that my customer (soon to be VSPs) should get their eyes examined!!:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Here's the e-mail I sent to the assoc:

To whom it may concern:

I couldn't help but notice that one of the "articles" you published for your newsletter is a joint study by VSP. Are you aware that it is VSP's policy to exclude opticians from being panel providers? They do not recognize us as professionals, and by not allowing opticians to join their panel, have greatly limited our ability to compete in the market place.

I would hope that the organization that represents our profession would have known of this already, but it is a problem that many of us have to deal with on a daily basis. To not know this problem exists shows a disconnect with the membership of the AOA. To know it exists and ignore it is a slap in the face to all independent opticians that struggle to make a living in today's competitive environment.

The bias that VSP shows towards opticians is a subject that I would truly enjoy reading about, and not some study they conducted that was probably devised to drive more patients to their network providers.

I think that the way to boost membership in the AOA is to address real issues that affect opticians. I believe that this is one of those issues that has been ignored for too long.If you would like, I would be more than happy to discuss this issue with you. I can be reached at (xxx) xxx-xxx.

Most sincerely,

John X Sxxxxxxxx

I received two replies. I'll look again for them, but I think I erased them. To paraphrase, they both said "thank you for your concern, we'll look into it.."

So don't look to your state (at least if you're in Ohio) or your national association to do a whole lot more than cash the check you pay your dues on, because they are more focused on building a membership full of me-to chain store employees that don't really care about the issues facing independents.

We're on our own in this fight...

Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mshimp View Post

What? You want to take less for your services, knowledge and product for the instant gratification of getting an quick influx of clients? VSP pays what the lowest denominator in your area will accept.

Differentiate who you are, your product, knowledge, sevices and atmosphere and you won't need to cater to the service plan cow. It takes longer, but you can be and have a practice that you want.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    What? You want to take less for your services, knowledge and product for the instant gratification of getting an quick influx of clients? VSP pays what the lowest denominator in your area will accept.

Differentiate who you are, your product, knowledge, sevices and atmosphere and you won't need to cater to the service plan cow. It takes longer, but you can be and have a practice that you want.
    But it still has to be YOUR choice!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

At least give us a crack at them. They are taking patients that we've had, by virtue of selling a company an often low ball plan.

The employee has a new plan, the VSP provider is listed, it's not you, and there goes your patient.

No, I don't want to sell to them for less, but in this economy, they're going to use the benefit they've paid for, and then go grocery shopping. There's not a lot of money left over to go "off plan" just for fun, and pay full price.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    An independent lab just filed a lawsuit against vsp for dropping them. I read a 41 page "brief" on the issue. I understand the frustration of not being able to be on the plan.

At the same time they do in fact deal with lots of opticians; vsp pays them poorly to make tons and tons of eyewear...

How can a lab survive on what vsp reimburses?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by orangezero View Post
    How can a lab survive on what vsp reimburses?

A lab perhaps can't but an optician utilizing a VSP lab to make the lenses can make money. If VSP now allows non-doctor owned corporations with multiple stores be on panel why not opticians? They are breaking their own rules right and left so it may be only a matter of time.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Purchase freeze

If all Opticians stopped purchasing frames for six months from Marchon or until they opened the panel to Opticians, I bet they would let us in. I would like to see how many Opticians would join this movement and see if we could unify ourselves so we are not continued to be excluded. I am willing to start January first, anyone else? Let your rep know it is unfair and until we are included you will not be purchasing product. Lets see what happens, nothing to lose on our side.
    Last edited by Opticianjw; 12-13-2009 at 06:24 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The ONLY way that VSP will allow opticians into their network is if a law is passed that they have to.......OR if Eyemed buys them...:idea:

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm a New England OD, so here is a biased opinion.

Marchon must be really hurting on the high end designer sales.

As an New England OD, people seem to want to buy eyewear from me when they want the good basic stuff. Most VSP providers in this area tend to be not very progressive. And we already had the Altair line.

But, if you want high end and stylish, locals seem to go to the independant optician with the very attractive store that looks like a high end jewelry shop.

At least that's the way it looks to me here in New England. So Marchon must be hurting on their high end lines. And competing with Altair on the others.

VSP already changed some of their philosophies with their "choice" plan, a nasty thing to compete with Davis and Spectera. So, they are a changing.

Harry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Trade commission!!!!!!

Maybe that's why why we are exempt. We are a trade not a profession. When will opticians drop apprenticeship and require education and then state licensing? Maybe then we would be included.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyedude View Post
    Maybe that's why why we are exempt. We are a trade not a profession. When will opticians drop apprenticeship and require education and then state licensing? Maybe then we would be included.

This is exactly what we are trying to do here in Texas. We will never be taken as a profession without required education, CE and manditory licensure. But, optician apathy runs rampant. It will be a handful of dedicated individuals on the state level that will make these changes.

Do not count on national organizations to do this for you. Even though Texas is arguably the closest to obtaining mandatory licensure ( we already have voluntary registration in the state) We have yet to get monetary, legal nor moral support. ( other than a "good luck..") It's been over 30 years since the last state was licensed...Why?

Change will have to come on a state by state level. States, for the most part, control their own medical/licensing boards. Don't count on a national referendum. Opticians need to take licensure with a state by state stratagy. Get one, then another. We need a snowball effect. Yet we still have states that have no organized opticians association...Why?...Apathy.

Will YOU have a voice on the future of opticianry, or will you sit idly by? Are YOU going to let our craft die, and reduce your chosen profession ( Yes! Profession!) to become nothing more than order takers like a fast food restaurant? Stand up! Make a difference! Are YOU part of the problem, or part of the solution? DO something!

If you are not active in your state's organization, nor have one, join it, start one and be vocal in your support. Help other states orginizations in their efforts for licensure. It can be as simple as sending an e-mail to a state rep, or get a little more involved. Ask your state ( and national) orginization what are they doing to promote licensure.

We can all sit on the sidelines, or do something. Somthing. Are you part of the problem, or the solution. The choice is yours. I hope you will join the "movement" and rid yourself of apathy and know, you CAN make a difference!

Best Regards!

George Karber ABOC-AC RDO

ROATx Legislative Chairman

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Do not count on national organizations to do this for you. Even though Texas is arguably the closest to obtaining mandatory licensure ( we already have voluntary registration in the state) We have yet to get monetary, legal nor moral support. ( other than a "good luck..") It's been over 30 years since the last state was licensed...Why?
    n

When was the last time a state became licensed? What do we have to show for the dues paid to national association?

-No support against 1-800contacts.
    -No support against VSP.
    -No support against the surety bond issue.
    -No support in getting or maintaining optician licensure.

Oh wait, I think we get 10% off of a Hertz car rental...:hammer:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We're still a trade.

Dispensing opticians and refracting opticians went their owns ways in 1920. That's when optometry started. Look how optometrist banded together and how far they have come. Optometrist now have pending legislation to prescribe oral medications.
    Look how far opticians haven't come.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Opticianjw View Post
    If all Opticians stopped purchasing frames for six months from Marchon or until they opened the panel to Opticians, I bet they would let us in. I would like to see how many Opticians would join this movement and see if we could unify ourselves so we are not continued to be excluded. I am willing to start January first, anyone else? Let your rep know it is unfair and until we are included you will not be purchasing product. Lets see what happens, nothing to lose on our side.
    I started the day VSP bought Marchon!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    I started the day VSP bought Marchon!
    Ditto....day one.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    VSP have just arrived in the UK, wonder how they'll do here....I wouldn't imagine they'll have an easy time of it as very little eyewear is purchased under an insurance policy.

Thread Information