Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maui Jim back in bed with Luxottica

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Maui Jim back in bed with Luxottica

Did anyone else get the letter yesterday?

I wonder if Maui Jim folded under pressure?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Old new! Join the Eyecare Professional Only forum and you'll see the discussion that's been going on there for days!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I don't see the listing for that.

I was busy last week, I had a guy retire and my receptionists Mother passed away, left me a bit short on help. Can you direct me to the forum or is it on another site?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eye.guy View Post
    I was busy last week, I had a guy retire and my receptionists Mother passed away, left me a bit short on help. Can you direct me to the forum or is it on another site?

OptiBoard Gold Level OptiBoard Gold Level
    This premium subscription allows members to post ads in the Optical Marketplace forum and allows access to the Eyecare Professionals Only forum. It also allows members to have their own Blog and picture albums. This subscription does hide Google Ads for those that do not want to see these. Please note that this is not intended to provide cheap advertising for companies and should not be used for that purpose. Note: This is an automatically recurring subscription. You can cancel it by following these instructions.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    So are they back with Lux or no?

I was going to look into carrying them but if they are back in bed with Lux I will not.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaOD View Post
    So are they back with Lux or no?

I was going to look into carrying them but if they are back in bed with Lux I will not.
    My understanding is they'll soon be spooning at a Macy's near you!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Maui Jim is doing business with Lux again

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Yes, Maui Jim is shipping to Lux again. I called my rep who I have done business with for years going back to the Revo days and trust what she had to say. She said that Sunglass Hut had been shipped product and that Macy's does sell Maui Jim in the Northeast. I was happy that Lux did not buy Maui Jim and that they have not sold any discontinued styles to Costco for the last six month's. After speaking to my rep, who is wonderful and gives me great service, I understand why they are back in business.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by nantucket girl View Post
    I understand why they are back in business.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I'm so happy with Joy for Maui and everyone involved, I'm finding it hard to hold the tears back.

We are all truly blessed this holiday season :o

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    As a new member I find it strange that you chime in on a brand that you do not sell in your store.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As a new member I find it strange that you chime in on a brand that you do not sell in your store.
    What he quoted may be an indication of why he doesn't carry them.

Also, if we were restricted to commenting on only products we carried, the roar of the crickets would be deafening!:bbg:

Welcome to Optiboard!:cheers: I've enjoyed your post so far.:cheers:

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm wondering who was the one that gave in and folded.

Maui or Lux?

And what was the dispute? Pricing, discounts? Who gave in?

Sunglass hut exposure is important, but brand reputation being kept exclusive and non-discountable is important also.

Harry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    What he quoted may be an indication of why he doesn't carry them.

Also, if we were restricted to commenting on only products we carried, the roar of the crickets would be deafening!:bbg:

Welcome to Optiboard!:cheers: I've enjoyed your post so far.:cheers:
    I guess, If I did not take over a practice on an Island, I would not have the time to respond. As a small practice on a seasonal Island Maui Jim has been a god send as they turn their Rx jobs around in 48 hours. This makes my patients happy and me money. Call me naive, but most of the posts I read are jaded and negative. This is my first year in business since my Dad retired, Maui Jim has been great to deal with. I like doing business withs company that is not owned by a big corporation. Call me silly but I made enough money from Maui Jim to pay my rent for the year. Ignorance is bliss when you chime on a subject that you know nothing about because you have never sold their product or worked with the company.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yes, Maui Jim is shipping to Lux again. I called my rep who I have done business with for years going back to the Revo days and trust what she had to say. She said that Sunglass Hut had been shipped product and that Macy's does sell Maui Jim in the Northeast. I was happy that Lux did not buy Maui Jim and that they have not sold any discontinued styles to Costco for the last six month's. After speaking to my rep, who is wonderful and gives me great service, I understand why they are back in business.

Wimps. I'll pass on them in that case. Hopefully they didn't get many independents from stating they were pulling out of Lux because they went back on their word.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wimps. I'll pass on them in that case. Hopefully they didn't get many independents from stating they were pulling out of Lux because they went back on their word.
    please tell me that you do not do business with anything brand or insurance that is owned by Lux and I will respect your comment. I do business with MJ because and other brands like Bolle because they are not owned by Lux. Luckily , I am on an Island where Lens Crafters is not across the street and I can charge what I want.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ignorance is bliss, and so is living on an island!:cheers:

Many of us don't carry these products, but it's not because we are ignorant and have not had (many, many) dealings w/them.

Living on an island, you probably don't have a Costco down the street that sells Maui Jims for about 25% of what you sell them for. Your island dwellers may have no problem dishing the $$ out for them, and most of my customers didn't either. However, more than a few of them have been in Costco, picked up a few pair, brought them to me for Rx's, and then asked why they are so very cheap at Costco. You can talk all you want about discontinued product, but a Maui's a Maui.

Call me naive, but most of the posts I read are jaded and negative. This is my first year in business since my Dad retired
    You said "call me naive", and after reading that you are in your first year of business, running your daddy's shop, we could have assumed as much.

Ignorance is bliss when you chime on a subject that you know nothing about because you have never sold their product or worked with the company.
    So yes, ingnorance is bliss, but in your blissful state, don't assume that you know where we are coming from. Most of us have been around this business much longer than Maui Jim, and we've watched them evolve through the years (they've only been available on the mainland since 1991) from a company that started out wanting to partner w/ opticians and ODs, to a company that eventually found the greener pastures of the mass merchandisers.

Call me silly but I made enough money from Maui Jim to pay my rent for the year.
    Well Miss Silly, I must say that paying an entire year's rent on one brand of sunglasses alone surely does put you into the sunwear retailers hall of fame. I don't think OBXEYEGUY, who's office is on the beach in sunny NC can even make that claim, and I'm sure his rent is lower than yours.

Congratulations on a stellar year, and continued success!:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ten years ago we had people walking through our door specifically to buy MJ. They were exclusive and a great product. As soon as we spied them at Costco the rep was called and told to take a hike. We sold off the last of them (mostly at cost to employees). Funny, we haven't missed them as much as we had thought we would and haven't had even one customer mention them in years. Every dog has it's day and MJ's day was over a long time ago.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There once was a girl from Nantucket
    Who's sunglasses cost more than a drop in the bucket
    Having taken offense
    From a man she'd not met
    He hopes his apology causes a yuck it:D

I try not to anger any person on the Optiboard. Corporations are another matter.

To me life is too short to get upset over blogs on the internet anyway.:)

Kind regards- Fester
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 12-11-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling...

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My rep said it was Lux that folded due to Maui being 15% of Sunglass Hut's business. Taken with a grain of salt b/c he's with Maui, but he's always given me the accurate scoop in the past.

I still think Maui's are hands down the best sunglass (plano and Rx) on the market, and I don't have a Costco within 150 miles, so I'm still rolling heavy with them! :D

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I opened my letter from Maui today. Okay, I got my letter several days ago, but am just getting to my mail from this week. End-of-the-year business is really picking up.

In Oklahoma, we're fortunate that we don't have opticals in our Walmarts, or Sears or JC Penneys. We also don't have any Costcos or Shopkos in the state. So until now, it's not been a conflict for us to carry Maui Jim. But, we purposely don't have an account with Luxottica, because they are Lenscrafters. There's a mall with a Lenscrafters, EyeMasters, EyeMart and Sunglass Hut not three miles from my office. So people will go there if they want to.

I gave the letter to my doc to see what he wants to do about our Mauis. For principle's sake, I'd just as soon get rid of them. Our Maui rep that was let go this year is now with Rudy Project, and I'd love to keep him coming in our office. He was great. But, we'll see what my boss wants to do. It's his office, after all.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    please tell me that you do not do business with anything brand or insurance that is owned by Lux and I will respect your comment. I do business with MJ because and other brands like Bolle because they are not owned by Lux. Luckily , I am on an Island where Lens Crafters is not across the street and I can charge what I want.

I sell NO Lux product

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post
    I opened my letter from Maui today. Okay, I got my letter several days ago, but am just getting to my mail from this week. End-of-the-year business is really picking up.

In Oklahoma, we're fortunate that we don't have opticals in our Walmarts, or Sears or JC Penneys. We also don't have any Costcos or Shopkos in the state. So until now, it's not been a conflict for us to carry Maui Jim. But, we purposely don't have an account with Luxottica, because they are Lenscrafters. There's a mall with a Lenscrafters, EyeMasters, EyeMart and Sunglass Hut not three miles from my office. So people will go there if they want to.

I gave the letter to my doc to see what he wants to do about our Mauis. For principle's sake, I'd just as soon get rid of them. Our Maui rep that was let go this year is now with Rudy Project, and I'd love to keep him coming in our office. He was great. But, we'll see what my boss wants to do. It's his office, after all.

Are you sure that rep is still with Rudy? Our rep told us that all Rudy Project reps were "temporarily laid off" until some time after the first of the year.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    Are you sure that rep is still with Rudy? Our rep told us that all Rudy Project reps were "temporarily laid off" until some time after the first of the year.

Reeeeeally? Last I'd heard from him was a couple months ago when he was hired in the first place. I haven't contacted him since then, since we have a board full of Mauis for now. Interesting to know, though. I'll find out for sure, if my doc wants to look at carrying them. Thanks!
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I sell NO Lux product
    +1

8 years and counting.

Thread Information