Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Target optical

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question about Target optical

Does anyone out there have any experience with target optical? im considering taking a management position there and wondering if anyone has any input for me. any help would greatly be appreciated! thank you!
    Trapped in the world of optics. :hammer:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RNPSRJ View Post
    Does anyone out there have any experience with target optical? im considering taking a management position there and wondering if anyone has any input for me. any help would greatly be appreciated! thank you!

I do some behind the scenes interviews w/some of their employees, maybe take a few out to lunch. That's how you get the real story...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

target

I ran the mooresville ,n.c. office for three years, most of it was fun,but originally we were owned by cole and we had a fantastic target store manager named dave tabor.

Targets theory was lets go to work and have some fun while doing it, and we did. i never minded going to work, and the store did well, from scratch to 500,00 in 2.5 years

But all good things must come to an end and Dave being so good got a big corporate promotion and that was the end of the good store manager days and the fun.

then even worse cole sold out to lux, and that was the end of my job, as we never got along previously. what was amazing was the lengths they went to, just to get rid of me, including harrasing employees out in a car in the parking lot.

so in sumnation target itself and the store are fine, but you will be working for lux, and unless you are a politician, and like to suck up and expect to most likely to go nowhere, then this is your place:cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    so in sumnation target itself and the store are fine, but you will be working for lux, and unless you are a politician, and like to suck up and expect to most likely to go nowhere, then this is your place:cheers:

Do they run all the stores (Peale, Target, Sears, LC...) basically the same, or do they retain some of the culture of the past management?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you care enough about your profession to be here, then you don't want that job. They want frame stylists, not actual opticians. Managers can make good money if your store does well, but it's not a good place to work.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Do they run all the stores (Peale, Target, Sears, LC...) basically the same, or do they retain some of the culture of the past management?
    All vestiges of Cole are long gone. Target is run like LC, with specific sales techniques that have to be drilled and followed, unreasonable goals and the forcing out of older workers.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    isnt that how all places are? im currently at ECCA and i use absolutely none of the material i learned to become an optician, and have been doing so for the past 3 years. no place wants real opticians they all want stylists , which is disgusting but it seems to be the nature of the beast.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Target Optical is owned by Luxottica Retail. There are several "Brands" within the Luxottica Retail Group. Sears Optical, LensCrafters, Target Optical, Pearl Vision, and others in the northern states. Target is one of the easier brands to work for. They do have fantastic benefits.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lots of places want real opticians. Target is not one of them. They like to staff with people who have no optics, even for management positions, and they no longer offer any actual optics training beyond a couple videos. The brand ideal is "anti-optical", and they've certainly achieved that.

Somebody linked this a while back, and it sums things up so well that I had to go search it: http://eyeoverheard.wordpress.com/20...upid-can-they/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    isnt that how all places are? im currently at ECCA and i use absolutely none of the material i learned to become an optician, and have been doing so for the past 3 years. no place wants real opticians they all want stylists , which is disgusting but it seems to be the nature of the beast.
    If you dig:
    *Bogus hours
    *Bogus rules and regulations
    *Bogus sales goals
    *Bogus red tape
    *Bogus ideas
    *Bogus patient care
    *Bogus optical in general

Have at it!!!

I feel that life is too short to be RULED by Corporate Suits without a clue {or a soul}!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    richth8
    OptiBoard Novice

We're hiring licensed opticians in Raleigh, NC
    Did you know Super Targets have an Optical Department?

Did you know Target Optical carries designer brands like DKNY, VOGUE and RAYBAN?

Did you know Target Optical is SIMPLE, FUN AND IN-STYLE?

We are looking for talented and fashionable licensed opticians. We are ready to train and develop leaders for a great retail position. We want highly motivated, sales driven candidates. This is a fantastic place to work, shop and create an amazing career. This position offers flexible schedules and amazing incentives. Benefits, Discounts, Commission, and much more!! Please send your resumes and we'll set up an interview for this great opportunity.

Due to NC Licensing Laws, please have license current and available. We know this is the PERFECT place for anyone who wants a NON-OPTICAL environment, while still providing spectacular customer service! Let's have FUN!!!
    Last edited by richth8; 11-01-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by richth8 View Post
    Did you know Super Targets have an Optical Department?

Did you know Target Optical carries designer brands like DKNY, VOGUE and RAYBAN?

Did you know Target Optical is SIMPLE, FUN AND IN-STYLE?

We are looking for talented and fashionable licensed opticians. We are ready to train and develop leaders for a great retail position. We want highly motivated, sales driven candidates. This is a fantastic place to work, shop and create an amazing career. This position offers flexible schedules and amazing incentives. Benefits, Discounts, Commission, and much more!! Please send your resumes and we'll set up an interview for this great opportunity.

Due to NC Licensing Laws, please have license current and available. We know this is the PERFECT place for anyone who wants a NON-OPTICAL environment, while still providing spectacular customer service! Let's have FUN!!!
    so that's what they mean by non optical environment

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Flexible scheduling" means that full time is only guaranteed 30 hours a week. FYI.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yeah ive heard nothing but bad things about Lux, maybe ill stay where im at for a while longer. it appears that the popular opinion is to stay away from Lux.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs down Target Optical

If you believe in "Optibabble" instaed of professionalism then that what they practice, and if like "Physcobabble" then thats what talk and if you just like"babbling" thats what you'll become with them. STAY AWAY!!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    All i know is that they are owned by lux. A friend of mine worked as a tech for them a few years ago. I dont know any managers. From my exp. i hear that private practice is the way to go but at a time like this can we really be picky?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue

I have worked for both Cole and Lux in Sears and Pearle. I am a very honest and well respected Licensed Optician in my area. I have been licensed for over 25 years and have worked for Cole/Lux for 14 years. The job is what YOU make it. Whatever you decide to do, take pride in your craft and don't compromise your principals for anyone. I am happy and secure in my job. We stand behind our products, are jobs meet ansi standards, and are all inspected by Licenses. Our office staff works incredibly well together and it reflects to our patients. (some have followed me for years and others come back to our office because we are genuinely enjoying our jobs and make their experiences exceptional).
    Good luck in your decision and your future. It is what you make it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    may be what you call "nature of the beast" and yes we all need jobs as licensed Opticians. This Lux group is trying their best to have us think that all Opticians do is sell, sell, sell. That's what makes it work with Target, Sears, Lenscrafters, Pearle. bottom line, $$$$. Not so much as pay but what the exec. get out of it.
    We all need to stick together and start to change this mentality. Any ideas? They use us because in Licensed states they are by law supposed to have a licensed on duty at all times. Yeah, that'll work!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree about Lux being what you make it. I have been in the business for more than 30 years. I manage a LC and find it one of the most challenging positions I have ever had. I have owned my own shop, worked for private OD's and MD's and really like what I am doing right now. I have worked in the Target brand some as a fill in Optician and did not care for it. The noise from crying babies and beeping registers just wasn't for me. That may not bother you. Just another point of view. :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Opti1 View Post
    From my exp. i hear that private practice is the way to go but at a time like this can we really be picky?
    You do what you have to do to pay your bills. I might find myself in the unemployment line in six months, who knows. Do you think I will be picky? Nope, I have to work but whenever I have found myself in a position that did not suit me I never stopped looking for something better. And even in the worst scenarios there is something to be learned and taken with you when you leave.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlilly View Post
    "Flexible scheduling" means that full time is only guaranteed 30 hours a week. FYI.
    that's the truth or nights, weekends, holidays! No OVERTIME! Gotta watch those numbers.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yeah ive heard nothing but bad things about Lux, maybe ill stay where im at for a while longer. it appears that the popular opinion is to stay away from Lux.
    I worked for Lux for all of three months, I think. Taking that job was one of the worst decisions I've ever made. The hourly pay was much higher than ECCA, but the sales goals were impossible, and to get enough hours to live on I had to spend a lot of time working across the mall in another Lux store selling sunglasses and replacing watch batteries. I'm not even going to get into what I think about pushing sub-par A/R on construction or oilfield workers, and then being surprised when those customers came in and yelled at us.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This career has really gone down the drain. kinda disappointed, well time to pick up the books and go back to school.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    RNP, I would have warned you if I had seen this thread. ECCA has such a great place in the market that they can't do horrible. It's the most mismanaged corporation that I have ever seen, yet they still make money due to their cheap labor and high markup. I actually got in trouble for selling too much per patient with them.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused amen

This career has really gone down the drain. kinda disappointed, well time to pick up the books and go back to school.
    That's what I'm doing, back to school. 3 more semesters then on to the BA.
    This career has turned into a job :( I don't want a JOB.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What does ECCA stand for?

Thread Information