Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Target optical

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eye Care Centers of America.

Umbrella company that owns Eyemasters, Dr. Binyons, etc.

OptiBoard Apprentice Nikki McGee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked for Target as a store manager and went throught the Cole Lux transition. Sometimes it's not too bad, 10% off inside the host store. But they want you to push Target Cards (Visa or store credit cards), all the employees for Target have VSP and usually don't buy glasses, but will come in everytime they lose a screw or nosepad, or the smack themselves in the face while unloading freight. You are asked to attend "huddles," little motivational get togethers each morning and evening. I've definately had worse as far as optical integrity (see America's Best), but I've seen much, much better since I've moved into the private sector.
    ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    What does ECCA stand for?
    I think it's Eye Care Centers of America
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner05 View Post
    I actually got in trouble for selling too much per patient with them.
    You have to explain this. I work with a woman that used to work for Eyemasters and she told me they pushed them to upsell.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Basically, my ticket average was too high. I was spending too much time with each patient, in the eyes of one of my rotating district managers. We'll forget about the fact that I actually was one of the top ten sellers for the entire company that year (total dollar, dollar per sale, and dollar per hour.) Other DMs loved me, but that one... eh, she was a bit off.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello! I have been offered a manager position with Luxottica for one of the stores. I see that the posts of this thread are several years old, and am interested in knowing if the opinions have changed. They allow limited payroll hours upon store opening, and the manager hours count in that amount, so how does the schedule work? Do you work by yourself alot? How are the sales, and what is the average ticket? How are the commissions and bonuses -- does anyone actually make any money or are they set so high that you never get anything? I understand the pay and benefits are great, but how is the environment? Any advice?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyecare Pro View Post
    Hello! I have been offered a manager position with Luxottica for one of the stores. I see that the posts of this thread are several years old, and am interested in knowing if the opinions have changed. They allow limited payroll hours upon store opening, and the manager hours count in that amount, so how does the schedule work? Do you work by yourself alot? How are the sales, and what is the average ticket? How are the commissions and bonuses -- does anyone actually make any money or are they set so high that you never get anything? I understand the pay and benefits are great, but how is the environment? Any advice?
    Honestly. That was the worst job I ever had. I sat for hours in that damn little office. Worked by myself from open to close most of the time. Demoted myself and eventually walked out. Hours had been cut from 40 to 15-20 because of slow sales. I had to travel between 3 stores to make up time. Commission is horrible. Plus the sound of the cash registers all day drove me nuts. Just my experience I know people that love it there. But I shudder when I pass by one now.
    Trapped in the world of optics. :hammer:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RNPSRJ View Post
    Honestly. That was the worst job I ever had. I sat for hours in that damn little office. Worked by myself from open to close most of the time. Demoted myself and eventually walked out. Hours had been cut from 40 to 15-20 because of slow sales. I had to travel between 3 stores to make up time. Commission is horrible. Plus the sound of the cash registers all day drove me nuts. Just my experience I know people that love it there. But I shudder when I pass by one now.
    Were you a manager? I was told Managers have to work a minimum of 36 hours per week. I was afraid that the limited payroll hours would entail many long days by myself. You mentioned that you know people that love it there -- what do they like? I am really going back and forth on this and am having a hard time making a decision. It seems like people that go to other LUX companies (Lenscrafters, etc) stay there for a long time. I must say the wages are above average, but I am really concerned that I'm going to end up being a one man show. Also, it seems like Managers have to travel to the corporate meetings and I think that would be wierd. I wonder if the high salary is there because the actual job isn't as great as it is made out to be when they present the offer. How long ago did you work there? Thanks for your advice.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not to disparage anyone who works for/at any of the abovementioned chains, but I often ask myself why do people work at places like this? After interviewing hundreds of them who are seeking alternative employment, I've come to the conclusion that they are their for one of two (usually both) reasons:

1. The paycheck
    2. They are unhirable (at the same rate) at traditional, non-chain stores.

There are higher waged jobs out there, but they take a higher caliber employee. I am amazed by the lack of knowlege, the personal appearance (grooming/dress/adornments), and the single minded sales focus that many of the applicants have. I'm looking for someone with "the whole package".

In some cases, an employee's above average sales ARE the result of advanced knowelge, which they use to educate (not convince) the consumer. In other cases, they are nothing more than warranty peddlers, putting notches on their commission statements.

Many will make the argument that chains pay more, and in some cases it appears they do. However, when you factor in the work conditions, the weekend and late hours, they are often paid less. If you make $3.00 an hour more than the local average, but you have to drive to two different locations to get your hours, and often still fall short, is it really a deal?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyecare Pro View Post
    Were you a manager? I was told Managers have to work a minimum of 36 hours per week. I was afraid that the limited payroll hours would entail many long days by myself. You mentioned that you know people that love it there -- what do they like? I am really going back and forth on this and am having a hard time making a decision. It seems like people that go to other LUX companies (Lenscrafters, etc) stay there for a long time. I must say the wages are above average, but I am really concerned that I'm going to end up being a one man show. Also, it seems like Managers have to travel to the corporate meetings and I think that would be wierd. I wonder if the high salary is there because the actual job isn't as great as it is made out to be when they present the offer. How long ago did you work there? Thanks for your advice.
    Managers having to travel for meetings is par for the course for Lux. I know they have 3 day summits every year for all the GM's for LC and for SGH, not to mention having to travel for regional meetings with the regional and district managers.

Payroll will be a struggle. Years ago within LC it wasn't uncommon to see higher volume stores have 400 to 500 hour payrolls due to business. Now those same stores are lucky if they get 250 hours a week to use. And if you go over that mark, you are expected to make additional cuts to make up for it

So they may offer you a nice salary and pay package, but understand that they are going to expect you to adhere to their business practices and procedures and expect you make whatever they set as you goals for you daily, weekly, monthly and yearly with sales
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Any big chain you work for like America's Worst,Visionworks,Target,Sears Optical,Wallyworld,etc.you're going crummy hours for low pay. They take care of their managers with spiffs and bonuses while regular Joes struggle to get by.Do yourself a favor and find a job at a private office. And stay away fron Lenscrafters unless you devote your whole existence to the house of horrible optics.

Thread Information