Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silhouette Partnership Program

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Silhouette Partnership Program

I just got a letter from Silhouette talking about a Partnership program. Anybody have any real details.

A few lines really in the letter make look like they are about to try and Screw me over royally, but I'm not positive.

I've been selling Silhouette for 7 years. I'm a small shop and only carry one collection of theirs. The 7799 collection and before that we carried the 7395 collection. We keep a full display of the 7799 collection and sell between 40-50 complete chassis a year.( This doesn't include parts) I don't carry more of their products because I don't have a need for alot of high dollar product around. Silhouette makes up most of my upper end sales along with a few other brands.

Below are some lines verbatum from the letter.

"For the benefit of our partners business development, it is our intention to focus distribution of Silhouette brand soley within the parameters of our partnership program."

"In order to implement this selective distribution strategy, we must begin to redefine our business relationship with those who elect not to participate in our " Seeing without Boundaries" partnership program."

I've heard alot of different wispers in the last year about Silhouette making some financial mistakes and to keep an eye out for the downward spiral they may be headed in.

Wonder if this has anything to do with it??

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I just do not get why this comes from a letter from front office. Anything like this should be presented by the rep.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpopticians View Post
    A few lines really in the letter make look like they are about to try and Screw me over royally, but I'm not positive.
    Probably true.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I just do not get why this comes from a letter from front office. Anything like this should be presented by the rep.
    They're hoping it gives you time to calm down and not make a knee jerk decision.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    They're hoping it gives you time to calm down and not make a knee jerk decision.
    it would do the complete opposite for me. I would call up the rep and the company and flip out. A lot of this could be avoided by a human explanation versus a cold, political letter

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

These are only available to Optiboard supporters.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Maybe this will get you started....

I talked to my rep about the program a month or so ago. Here's the info I have. In order to be able to order the frames and be a partner, you must have 3 (8pc) core collections and 1 (4pc) highlight collection. They will give you a display (either free standing or wall mount). The way I understood it, was that I had a certain amount of time to decide, after that I would be considered a "parts-only" account. I could get back into the partnership program later, but I would be considered a new account and fill out the new account application again.

**PLEASE call your rep and get any details from him/her...I want to help get you in a direction, but I don't want to give any misinformation**

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    The way I understood it, was that I had a certain amount of time to decide, after that I would be considered a "parts-only" account.
    Oh, so they meant to say you are a member of their "parts nership" program?:D
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    So your telling me they want me to put out money for product I don't need or have the money for.

So if I don't particapate will they take back my fitting kit and give me the credit for each piece???

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So your telling me they want me to put out money for product I don't need or have the money for.
    Yes
    So if I don't particapate will they take back my fitting kit and give me the credit for each piece???

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    These are only available to Optiboard supporters.
    Info is available, it's a matter of how much it's worth ;)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I talked to my rep about the program a month or so ago. Here's the info I have. In order to be able to order the frames and be a partner, you must have 3 (8pc) core collections and 1 (4pc) highlight collection. They will give you a display (either free standing or wall mount). The way I understood it, was that I had a certain amount of time to decide, after that I would be considered a "parts-only" account. I could get back into the partnership program later, but I would be considered a new account and fill out the new account application again.

**PLEASE call your rep and get any details from him/her...I want to help get you in a direction, but I don't want to give any misinformation**

The reason I asked here first was because this BS came to me in a letter and not by a sales rep. Which to me is a little cowardly.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    A similar letter from Morel cost them my account.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry

We got the "letter" too last week, repeating what our (former) rep had told us, "you fully buy in to our rimless, or you don't buy anything.)

We're done permanantly with Silhouette. Going to start throwing remaining Addidas in garbage. Cannot beleive ANY company can be so blatantly stupid in this business climate.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Maybe they use the same executives as the TV commercial's Cable Corp.:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    We got the "letter" too last week, repeating what our (former) rep had told us, "you fully buy in to our rimless, or you don't buy anything.)

We're done permanantly with Silhouette. Going to start throwing remaining Addidas in garbage. Cannot beleive ANY company can be so blatantly stupid in this business climate.
    I stopped buying from Silhouette when every single Adidas rimless frame I sold broke while the customer was wearing it (weak solder points on the drill mounts). I threw the company out of the office when I found out that they will still presenting those exact same frames to other businesses a year later.

Any company that does not take the responsibility to remove the lemon from the line has shown to me that they do not have the appropriate leadership to trust their products.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

From what I understand, they won't take your kit away...you can keep it, but you cannot buy the chasis's...sssss any longer...they will consider you "parts-only", so you can buy bridges, temples, nosepads, etc. just not the entire chasis.

The reason I asked here first was because this BS came to me in a letter and not by a sales rep. Which to me is a little cowardly.
    I know what you mean, I got the letter and filed it away, I thought it was something that was optional, but later found out that it was not optional...that's when I called my rep and asked him to give me more info. He came in and told me the details and showed me pics of the display options...

I appologize if the last line in my other post seemed harsh, the only reason I suggested calling your rep, was because, even though I assume that the details are the same across the board, you know what happens, sometimes, when we assume! :o

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Would a *Partner* really shaft you like this?

Tell these out of touch Wingnuts to:

BEAT IT!!!!

Contact a company that sells rimless frames and APPRECIATES you and your business!

http://www.freeformeyewear.com/

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I too got the same letter. My rep came in a few months ago and tried to push this "Seeing without Boundries" on me also. I elected to not carry the additional frames because I really do not do enough Silhouette jobs to warrent me carrying more frames. However I did not realize this was going to be mandetory for us to continue carrying Silhouette, at least that is what I am understanding from the letter. I plan to talk to my doctor and most likely arrange to return the product for credit if I can or sell the remaining Silhouettes off my board. I do not appreciate a company trying to cram more product down my throat that I do not want!!!!
    jamie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know, I'm really debating this issue....

1. I feel like saying, no thanks....but,
    2. I do have people coming in asking for the "Silhouette" brand....so,
    3. I think I need to have them here....plus,
    4. There are others in town that have them, and I don't want someone to leave here and go there just because I'm being stubborn...

ahhhh...who knows, but I need to make a decision before long....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The rep told me about this the last time he was in maybe oh....six months ago. This new one is not as dedicated. I got the official letter this week. We still sell the frames so we may do it. The other alternative is to sell off the demo chassis and be done with them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why not showcase another rimless brand or two next to your Sils? Acuity is a great one as is Totally Rimless from McGee. Price them competively and show them first. Tell your customers why you prefer them over the Sils. I did this with a lab-supplied frame line and moved Sil completely out of the shop. My customers were just as happy.

Occupation

4. There are others in town that have them, and I don't want someone to leave here and go there just because I'm being stubborn...

Heather,

Is the product going to be good for your business? That's all that's really gonna matter and by droppign the cherry pickers they are trying ot ensure exclusivity. I have spent the last 10 years listening to how great Silouhette's are and now that account shave to put their money where their mouth is, all of a sudden tehy're not so great right.

Look at it this way if even a handfull of offices in your neighborhood decide to send their frames back and not do business with this vendor, their customers that are now loyal to Silhouette are going to go looking else where. That may mena more clients out their waiting to find you. Also in this economic climiate can anyone really afford to look like their business is struggling? These opticals which loose a prestigious line are going to loose stature and the offices around them that etain these lines are going to gain a percentage of that lost stature.

My suggestion to you is stall as long as possible and pry as much info about your competition in the area from your Silhouette rep, see if you can find out how many people within a 5 mile radius is droppign the line if the numbers are high you may consider picking the line up if you have the capital and board space. Have fun making money.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

While I agree with Harry above, I do have to point out your point #2.

I would be willing to bet that you have patients walking in asking for Varilux lenses. Do you sell every one of them a Varilux? Or do you give them the best lens that fits their needs?

Frame brands are more visible than lens brands, but the principle is the same. You have to do what is best for your practice. If everyone around you is dropping Silhouette and you can afford to go deep in their styles, by all means do it. However, if nobody is dropping them, set yourself apart with another quality product and educate your patients.

my 2 cents.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Thread Information