Thread: John Walker Lindh

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question John Walker Lindh

I am surprised no one has mentioned their thoughts on the American Taliban yet so I'll do it.

The criminal complaint accuses Lindh of:
    • Conspiring to kill Americans outside the United States.
    • Providing material support and resources to a terrorist organization, Harakat ul-Mujahideen, in Kashmir.
    • Providing material support and resources to bin Laden's al-Qaida.
    • Contributing goods and services to the Taliban and to people whose property and interests are legally blocked in the war against terrorism.
    Should he be being tried in a civilian court? Is he a traitor? What do you think his punishment should be?
    from (Alexandria, Va.-AP, Jan. 24, 2002 Updated 4:21 PM)
    http://wire.ap.org/APnews/?SITE=MIDTN&FRONTID=HOME

"John loves America. We love America. John did not do anything against America. ... John is innocent of these charges," said Frank Lindh.
    I don't think he loved America as much as his father thinks.

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar

Redhot Jumper Baby Taliban

Hmmmm....according to a COX NEWS SERVICE wire service in The Oregonian Lindh said he was attracted to Afghanistan by his LOVE for the Taliban.

Do I think he is a traitor - YES! He admits that went to the front lines to defend the Taliban and bin Laden against "what they anticipated would be attacks from the United States" (according to a sworn affidavit from Anne E. Asbury, an FBI investigator who interviewed Lindh). This was AFTER he learned about the Sept. 11 attacks.

The form of punishment I think best fits him has to do with certain anatomical "structures"....but at the very least I think he should die.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    (according to a sworn affidavit from Anne E. Asbury, an FBI investigator who interviewed Lindh).
    This is going to be the tough one now. I guess the defense is saying Lindh asked for a lawyer but didn't get one and the FBI is saying Lindh refused his right to a lawyer.

Watching the footage after Lindh was first captured, I'm actually inclined to believe the FBI on this one. Normally, I would be cynical and think the FBI waived his rights but giving up the right to a lawyer isn't all that extreme if you consider where they found the fellow and what he had been up to. I have to admit; after he was charged with treason Lindh cleaned up pretty good and quickly. He looks like the boy next door all of a sudden.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I'm sure the FBI taped any interaction they had with young Mr. Lindh, so we'll eventually get a clear scoop on the lawyer thing. As to whether he should be tried as a traitor, I suppose technically one is supposed to renounce his/her citizenship before becoming involved with a foreign power. However, I would think him guilty of treason only if he somehow used his American citizenship to harm the US in a way that a non-citizen could not (e.g., smuggling stuff into the country or making arrangements that a non-citizen could not have made).

I think as time drags on, this will not be such a clear cut case and the administration will slowly begin to back away from the whole thing... Sure enough, the whole terrorism thing is beginning to finally fade from the myopic memories of Americans, so slowly and surely we are getting on with business.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Bad address email on file
    There is a fog in this country that clouds the heads of people who we vote for that keeps them from using rational decision making for the protection of mankind and ones country. it is called " Terrified of making rational decisions to be politically correct". This man decided for himself to join the taliban of his on decision, he has denounced himself of his American rights, like a convicted felon looses his or her rights. This is "Treason" under the guidelines of this country. He should be an example, and be put to death. ( not by injection ). If he was man enough to carry a gun, well than die by one.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Wave Slighty off line

We are getting quite a bit of Its inhumane how these prisoners are being kept in Cuba over here. Which kinda make me want to shoot the people complaining...or pack them of to afaginstan..
    I just think we should have let the Northen Alliance dispence the humane treatment "the bullett in the head" would have saved a lot of pain in the end....

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Slighty off line

Originally posted by John R
    We are getting quite a bit of Its inhumane how these prisoners are being kept in Cuba over here. Which kinda make me want to shoot the people complaining...or pack them of to afaginstan..
    I just think we should have let the Northen Alliance dispence the humane treatment "the bullett in the head" would have saved a lot of pain in the end....
    Amen John! I used to be a lot more forgiving. I believe he knew what he was doing. He (for God's sake) faught against us and for the Taliban!

And while I am on a roll......

What about his parents that funded his (and supported-financially) his move to Afghanistan? Should they be guilty as well? They knew about his Taliban leanings and I know they had to see the news? Should they be blameless??? If it weren't for them he wouldn't have made it to Afghanistan!

I guess the forgiving part is gone, huh?????
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    First he was John Walker (mother's maiden name)... then John Walker Lindh (father's name added)... now they're calling him John Lindh. Unless you listen to Fox news, where they simply refer to him as Jihad Johnny.
    Personally, I think they should drop him off in New York City at the closest Fire Station to Ground Zero. There, he can explain to the firefighters and families of the victims of Sept. 11th why he chose to associate himself with al Qaeda and the Taliban. I'm sure they'd be all ears!

Blake

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Blake,

You bring up a point. Lindh's lawyers are trying to use the excuse that Lindh wasn't provided a lawyer as an excuse to get the case thrown out of court. If it was thrown out, Lindh obviously couldn't remain in the US afterwards our of fear for his personal safety; I don't think he would even make it as far as the airport to be able to disappear myself.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    John Walker might be bad for that fine product: Johnnie Walker Red, John Lindh will not besmerch that fine product.

Chip

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't understand why he's getting special treatment. He was captured with the others, he should be treated as the others are. What difference does it make where he was born ? He gave that up when he joined the fight against us.

Johns

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb What to do?

Under heavy guard, how about taking John Walker and all his buddies and let them with their hands clean up ground zero? From what I could see of the prisoners at the Cuban internment, they are in better living conditions then those caves they were living in. Maybe we should get a multinational group of gaurds to watch them.

:cheers: Jerry

Bad address email on file
    From what I see of Afganistan The prisioners are living better than most of the poor left behind in Afganistan. As Far as Jonny Who cares send him over with the rest of his gang and let him recieve the same treatment. He is no longer one of us!!!!!
    Tom

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile gebe33

I agree. John Walker in my opinion renounced his US citizenship when he joined the Taliban and Al Quaida. Then after he finishes cleaning up in New York at ground zero send him back to Afganistan to work at rebuilding that country (manual labor jobs) and if he ever sets foot in this country again treat him like the other terrorist coming into the US.

:idea: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Arrow Exactly..John,

Originally posted by Johns
    I don't understand why he's getting special treatment. He was captured with the others, he should be treated as the others are. What difference does it make where he was born ? He gave that up when he joined the fight against us.

Johns
    We have a provaerb: A man is distinguished by his deeds and not by his family or place of birth.

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Post The Bhasmasoor

A story in Indian mythology goes like this..
    The King of the Demons(Asoor) once worshiped Lord Shiva, the HOD of Creation and distruction department of the the Universe,by standing on one feet for 12 years.
    As pecularity of his behaviour, Shiva, who is famous for belssing with anything and evry thing to his devotees, got immensely pleased and asked the Demon King, "What do you want?"
    He begged, " My lord, bless me with a power in my palms, so that anything I put under it, will reduce to ashes!" (Ash= Bhasma)
    Without thinking anything, next second ,Shiva said, "Ta thastu!" (As you wish).
    Now, the terror started! The demon got recognised as Bhasmasoor. He distrioed many a Human Kindoms ,and hermitages of the Sages. He finally called on to the Heavens.
    Now, all the Gods went panic and ran here and there. There was absolute chaose, up there. Ganesh, the deity of Wisdom, and Son of Shiva, was immdiatly prayed for and asked to persuaed his dad to revoke the ill bless. Shiva was in deep meditation and no body had a daring to wake him up, as he would destroy anybody disturbing his meditation. But, the heaven was on fire, so, Ganeshji, (Stevejee, To call somebody him utimatle respectfully, just add jee to his name, particularly when you need the person very badly) thought, otherwise also, he may die, better if try to wake up his father. So he did it. Shivjee, then told Ganeshjee, that his blessings are irrevocable, and thus, before Bhasmasoor comes and puts his hand on his own( shiva's) head, he will give a clue . HE said, "Listen, that demon has an obsession of Dancing. Ask him that there's a beautiful Apsara, ( the Heavenly Sexy Lady Entertainer) , who can dance better than himself, and provoke him for the dance.Rest everything, I will take care of ."
    So, Ganesha got Bhasmasoor hooked to a Dance Competition,
    with the Avatar of Shiva in the form of the Apsara. During the challenge, Bhasmasoor began to follow Shiva's Steps and Hand movements( Mudras). And you have guessed it right.. Shiva, placed his own hand on his own head, which , Bhasmasoor copied and reduced himself to Ashes.!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Sandeep

Intelligence and wit will rule.

Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Thread Information