Thread: Should the customer de informed?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Should the customer de informed?

Yesterday found this article http://www.opticiansfriend.com/main/...ting-triangle/ that talk about something that is known by opticians and optometrist but what about the customer?.
    Are your customers returning periodically to adjust their glasses? Do they know when their glasses need to be adjusted at all? Unless they sit or step on them?
    I would say that most of them do not know and once you take some time and explain the basics while you are adjusting they glasses you will hear "They never told me that!".
    The problem is that sometimes i do not have the time needed to explain it as i would like.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MIOPE View Post
    Yesterday found this article http://www.opticiansfriend.com/main/...ting-triangle/ that talk about something that is known by opticians and optometrist but what about the customer?.
    Are your customers returning periodically to adjust their glasses? Do they know when their glasses need to be adjusted at all? Unless they sit or step on them?
    I would say that most of them do not know and once you take some time and explain the basics while you are adjusting they glasses you will hear "They never told me that!".
    The problem is that sometimes i do not have the time needed to explain it as i would like.

I usually talk about the frames needing adjustment from time to time, while I'm adjusting during the dispense. In fact I also try to keep an eye out for how they put the glasses on and take them off so I can make suggestions that will help them not beat their glasses up as quickly. I find that while it may take an extra minute or two, it's worth it. Especially if you can be friendly and personable while you're dispensing the glasses. If had more people recommend me to others for taking an extra minute or two with them at the dispense than any other stage in doing the glasses. It's the LAST time they see you until they come back needing help - and you want to leave them with a good impression.

Also, panama!!!! woohooo. On my list of places to visit! ( my mother was born there)
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Wink At the dispense. . . .

I tell everyone that I want to see them every oil change. Since they spend way more time in their glasses than they do in their car it usually makes sense.

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    This begs another question: Should patients be told of their warranties at the time of dispensing? Many on this forum feel that it's best to simply dispense the glasses and never hear from them again until their next annual visit. However, I feel that it is in both the interest of the dispenser and the client to be fully advised of all these issues. Not only should the client be told that they should come in for adjustments, but they should also be told of their warranty period and encouraged to come in prior to that if there are any problems. The downside is that after informing them of their warranty period you probably increase the number of warranty related visits, and you may even potentially decrease the number of sales ie: we specifically tell them that they have a 60 day exchange policy with NO REFUNDS. The upside is that a better informed client is probably a happier one and it avoids the misunderstandings that so often forces a disgruntled client to remain with glasses that are not serving them well. I can't help but feel that it's more worthwhile to make someone happy even at the expense of a re-do, than to have them curse you every time they put their glasses on. We print our warranty on the free lens cloth that we dispense and we encourage everyone to come right in for any adjustments whatsoever.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh View Post
    This begs another question: Should patients be told of their warranties at the time of dispensing? Many on this forum feel that it's best to simply dispense the glasses and never hear from them again until their next annual visit. However, I feel that it is in both the interest of the dispenser and the client to be fully advised of all these issues. Not only should the client be told that they should come in for adjustments, but they should also be told of their warranty period and encouraged to come in prior to that if there are any problems. The downside is that after informing them of their warranty period you probably increase the number of warranty related visits, and you may even potentially decrease the number of sales ie: we specifically tell them that they have a 60 day exchange policy with NO REFUNDS. The upside is that a better informed client is probably a happier one and it avoids the misunderstandings that so often forces a disgruntled client to remain with glasses that are not serving them well. I can't help but feel that it's more worthwhile to make someone happy even at the expense of a re-do, than to have them curse you every time they put their glasses on. We print our warranty on the free lens cloth that we dispense and we encourage everyone to come right in for any adjustments whatsoever.
    Probably creating more problems than you are solving . This desire is quite often driven by only a few customers upsetting you. Some people find it neccesary to have a rule for everything though . If it makes you happy go for it. Rather than deal with "issues" on your lens cloth would it not be more productive to plant a seed for a contact lens sale or second pair of glasses or sunglasses ? Why use valuable advertising space for "issues" ? Wouldn't extra sales more than cover the cost of a few bad apples ?
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 11-13-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we always let our customers know that they should come back in about every 3 months for a "tune up". I also explain that with plastic frames that they may stretch extra sooner then that, and they should come back if they have any issues. I find the extra min. to explain is worth it to keep my customers happier in the long run.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    Probably creating more problems than you are solving . This desire is quite often driven by only a few customers upsetting you. Some people find it neccesary to have a rule for everything though . If it makes you happy go for it. Rather than deal with "issues" on your lens cloth would it not be more productive to plant a seed for a contact lens sale or second pair of glasses or sunglasses ? Why use valuable advertising space for "issues" ? Wouldn't extra sales more than cover the cost of a few bad apples ?
    You bring up a very valid point (and one that I carefully considered). However, ultimately I arrived at the conclusion that many patients were not coming back for simple problems because they were not aware that they could do so. Many of these folks will hate their glasses all year long when it would have taken us minutes to solve the problem. If we solve the problem at the outset we will have a happy and grateful patient who is more likely to purchase from us one year later. Similarly in my surgical practice I encourage the postops to come for whatever little problem is bothering them (even though we don't get paid for these visits). I've found that those who come more often tend to become very loyal and happy patients. I've also noticed that I can nip almost every problem in the bud by this policy.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think it is best that the policies are clear to the customer. We always told them about the warranties, and had nothing to hide. People believe that by advertising the warranty, that you get less sales and more work. But I find that clients enjoy it and I do not find that you got a lot of warranty anyway. Plus, I do not think it is right to force the customer to buy a new pair when the old broken ones are still under warranty.

In addition, it has hidden benefits. If I know that a certain coating is causing me problems and increasing my costs due to warranty work, I am going to pick a better coating. Therefore, the customer is happier, because they are not having a problematic coating, and I am happier because I am not always replacing a bad coating.

WIN/WIN :)

Thread Information