Thread: Kappa groove run out, newbie approach

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Kappa groove run out, newbie approach

I could use a little advice on my use and maintenance of my Kappa. Just lately, the groover has been unreliable and I'm not sure how to approach the problem.

Everything has been great up until just the last few days. I noticed that one cut came out strange with a slight run out of the planned line - fortunately it was a practice run on a junk lens. Tonight, however, it ran out of the planned groove twice on a pair of poly high cyl lenses and just seemed to get a mind of its own. It seems to cut the initial groove well, but upon secondary groove refinishing (after edge polish) it carved a secondary line out of the initial groove.

Could simple calibration (or a lack of consistent recalibration) possibly correct this issue? A reboot of the edger did seem to solve my immediate concern, but I'm wondering what likelihood there is of it 'burping' again.

I'd be very happy to hear anyone's thoughts or experiences on how to stay ahead of this problem. Thanks! :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Calibrate....

Get your manual out and run the full set of diagnostics and recalibrations. Run some lenses and see if the problem is solved. If not get Gerber on the horn and have a Tech. give you a call back. They can help you solve your problem(hopefully). Good luck.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are getting a second groove during the clean out cycle as you explained, you can shut off the clean out until you have a complete calibration done. To shut off this cycle, go to the maintenance screen (hold down button #9 and press #5), select the button below the sizing, pin bevel and groove icon (button #3?), press the button below the grooving icon. The clean out is the icon with a snowflake(?), press the button (6?) below it and the icon with darken, which means it is turned off.
    If you do the calibration with the plastic gauge and you still have the same problem, then you will need a precision calibration with a metal gauge that does a precision feeler and groove calibration only. The systems do not come with this gauge as a standard tool, so you can either purchase one from GerberCoburn or have a service tech make a call.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    "Ghost in the machine"

Bad address email on file
    Occupation

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by icare View Post
    I could use a little advice on my use and maintenance of my Kappa. Just lately, the groover has been unreliable and I'm not sure how to approach the problem.

Everything has been great up until just the last few days. I noticed that one cut came out strange with a slight run out of the planned line - fortunately it was a practice run on a junk lens. Tonight, however, it ran out of the planned groove twice on a pair of poly high cyl lenses and just seemed to get a mind of its own. It seems to cut the initial groove well, but upon secondary groove refinishing (after edge polish) it carved a secondary line out of the initial groove.

Could simple calibration (or a lack of consistent recalibration) possibly correct this issue? A reboot of the edger did seem to solve my immediate concern, but I'm wondering what likelihood there is of it 'burping' again.

I'd be very happy to hear anyone's thoughts or experiences on how to stay ahead of this problem. Thanks! :)
    hi, open your manual book. and look fo the K-13 barcode and scan, this will call up the adjustment manual. and on the screen tap to the next pape and on the right hand top coner that is your grooving adjutment position.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Don'tGiveUp View Post
    hi, open your manual book. and look fo the K-13 barcode and scan, this will call up the adjustment manual. and on the screen tap to the next pape and on the right hand top coner that is your grooving adjutment position.
    Thanks for the expert advice, everyone. I'm learning and I'm on it now with all of your help! :cheers:

Thread Information