Thread: transition id lense

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

transition id lense

hi... i had a customer who did ID 1.6 Transition lense who was really ****** with it. He live somewhere southern, which is an island offcoast and he complained that the lense didn't turn very dark despite he tried it here (prescribed in Malaysia) and the lense did turn as desired. And also he complain that he had to tilt his head a lot especially for reading (move the frame up then read better). The RX was

R -0.75/-1.00 x 180 L -0.50/-0-75 x 170

I've send the lense back to Hoya for checkup and there isn't a problem. He's a first-timer progressive. I've tried all explanation regarding UV, corridor and distortion. Any help plz?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Transitions lenses can be tricky. If one wears a hat with a brim, they don't darken as much, as the lens is somewhat shaded. Temperature can have something to do with it as well. How warm was it when it turned dark enough, vs. the temps at home?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Possibilities.

Over-minused in the distance.
    Add power too low
    Fitting heights too low.
    Fitting corridor too long.

And from experience, always be wary fitting a low myope with progressives, especially when they change from minus in the distance to net plus at near. High minus in the distance to less minus at near is usually OK, but low minus in the distance to low plus at near are the worst scripts.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    thx... i forgot to add that the addition was +2.25. he told me it was very hot... around 38~ degree. thx for the advice guys... appreciate it....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The heat is why the lens isn't getting very dark...
    He should just get a pair of something polarized for the sunshine. Photochromics are handy, but don't really replace proper sunglasses...

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kaihsen View Post
    And also he complain that he had to tilt his head a lot especially for reading (move the frame up then read better). The RX was

R -0.75/-1.00 x 180 L -0.50/-0-75 x 170

I've send the lense back to Hoya for checkup and there isn't a problem. He's a first-timer progressive. I've tried all explanation regarding UV, corridor and distortion. Any help plz?
    Quote Originally Posted by kaihsen View Post
    addition was +2.25
    That's a typical response, especially if they are comparing their near vision to reading glasses or reading without glasses, and is complicated by the high Add power- high for a first time multifocal.

Your client needs to hold the near object low and close to the body (near objects at eye level and slightly below eye level will be blurry). Instruct your client to keep their chin up, and look down through the lowest part of the lens.

If your client performs frequent close tasks, and continues to complain of excessive posturing even after a full adaptation, consider using a PAL with a shorter/faster corridor or separate glasses for near tasks. Warn the client that short corridor lenses have more off-axis distance blur, and feel much more busy and visually dynamic. There is also the potential for reduced acuity on-axis with a short designs, especially in low light conditions.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    does the vertex distance and pantoscopic tilt are correct??

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    thx robert. i've advice him like the way u said. i've checked the fitting height is 15mm and frame height 25mm. i think it's becos the height fitting was a bit low. lol oh well... not sure whether i'll lose this customer or not but thx for the advice guys...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Florence: yup... somewhat similar to his old SV glasses...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Sunglasses with Transition Lenses filter out 100% of UV rays and have Oakley's Hydrophobic coating to keep the lenses smudge-free.Transition lenses respond to the changing light as you move from dark to bright conditions. The futuristic look of the lightweight frames adds some unique style.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Sounds to me this is a customer that likes to complain. What are the real issues? Is it the vision or is it the fact the Transitions don't adjust to the degree of his expectations?

Somewhere in between those nuggets lies the real issue; the challenge is to determine what that is!

Also, iD lenses are not available in Transitions; Sun Tech only since they are dual surface free form. iD Lifestyle is avilable in Transitions as it is back side FF.

As the others have mentioned to which I agree, any photochromic lens doesn't funtion properly in high heat applications.

That's my two cents; hope this helps.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Kaihsen,

You mentioned that the lens that he bought was with Hoya right? From my experience, Transitions doesnt only pair up with HOya to make their finished photochromic lenses. They also do it with many different lens company like essilor, sola, etc. From what I know, these secondary lens company also matters in terms of processing the finished products. Essilor has always been the darkest out of all.

Talk about darkening power, i've always been using colormatic from rodenstock, and they dont get dark too much. That's crap hahaha..

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi Kaihsen,

First of all for the ID lens i assume you are using the 11mm corridor to fit into a 25mm Bsize frame. so have you double confirm the reading Rx is it sufficient as what you have prescribe? 15mm fitting height is a little too little and the reading portion is less than 70% of the circle. usually we here will fit around 17mm height for ID 11mm corridor.

Secondly, has your patient wear any reading glasses before? usually when they have reading glasses experience when shift to PAL some of them may encounter the problem that reading is too narrow.

for the transition issue, how his complaint? is it when he driving then the transition is not dark enough? for Malaysia weather that hot and sunny most the day will not encounter any problem with transition change.
    Yeap

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    id is a variable corridor. it's listed in the progressive identifier as fixed at 11 but that's just because the product was released before we at the OLA decided to categorize lenses as fixed vs. variable and we didn't change id. a 17 seg ht would have a 14 length corridor in this situation.

Thread Information