Thread: Insomnia Sucks

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier Insomnia Sucks

and now back to your regularly scheduled program.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You are telling me. You should see Christian Bale in The Machinist

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think I could go a week without sleep and be more level headed than Mr. Bale's real personality.

Occupation
    Combine that with Restless Leg Syndrome and Night Terrors and you'll get a rough idea of a typical night for me.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    I used to get really bad insomnia. I do not get it as bad anymore. Here are the changes:

- Learn how to release stress
    - Do not procrastinate during the day. Otherwise, that is what you will think of when you try to sleep. Get everything done that you can and you will sleep better knowing your list is all checked off
    - Get a top of the notch mattress. A good night sleep is worth a few hundred bucks over 10 years
    - Turn your clock around backward and make sure it does not beep hourly. You do not need to know how long you have been up

Something Wicked This WayComes AngryFish's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Watch Fight Club

For me Ambien worked for a few nights, and I don't remember driving anywhere. It gave me a full 8 hours instead of my three to five.

If you haven't seen Fight Club and have trouble sleeping it might be a good idea.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Opiates worked real well for me back in the good old days but now having cleaned up my act I enjoy the sleep of the just.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Narcolepsy

Night terrors and other seemingly unrelated symptoms came be the result of Narcolepsy. Check it out in the PDR under Addarall. It is sometimes treated with a stimulant to induce sleep.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryFish View Post
    Night terrors and other seemingly unrelated symptoms came be the result of Narcolepsy. Check it out in the PDR under Addarall. It is sometimes treated with a stimulant to induce sleep.
    I wasn't aware that Adderall (correct spelling) induced sleep. My research on it indicates otherwise. It is a CNS, central nervous system stimulant. Narcoleptics use it to help STAY AWAKE! It does not induce sleep. It works by increasing the amounts of norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain. This acts to stimulate the brain, not induce sleep.

CNS medications used to help Narcoleptic patients include:

1.) Provigil
    2.) Methylphenidate, Methylin, etc = Ritalin, Concerta
    3.) Amphetamine/Dextroamphetamine = Adderall
    4.) Xyrem
    5.) Nuvigil
    6.) Pristiq
    7.) Vyvanse
    8.) Effexor

Again, I have never found that Adderall, or any other CNS medication, was found to induce sleep.

More info about Narcolepsy, and other sleep disorders, and there treatment can be found all over the internet. As a start, I suggest:

www.sleepfoundation.org

I also like these sites for support and knowing that I am not alone:

www.sleepnet.com

www.talkaboutsleep.com

Sleep disorders are a real problem and I sympathize with others who share these afflictions!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Last edited by Fezz; 11-23-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Now you are Aware...

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I wasn't aware that Adderall (correct spelling) induced sleep. My research on it indicates otherwise. It is a CNS, central nervous system stimulant. Narcoleptics use it to help STAY AWAKE! It does not induce sleep. It works by increasing the amounts of norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain. This acts to stimulate the brain, not induce sleep.

CNS medications used to help Narcoleptic patients include:

1.) Provigil
    2.) Methylphenidate, Methylin, etc = Ritalin, Concerta
    3.) Amphetamine/Dextroamphetamine = Adderall
    4.) Xyrem
    5.) Nuvigil
    6.) Pristiq
    7.) Vyvanse
    8.) Effexor

Again, I have never found that Adderall, or any other CNS medication, was found to induce sleep.

More info about Narcolepsy, and other sleep disorders, and there treatment can be found all over the internet. As a start, I suggest:

www.sleepfoundation.org

I also like these sites for support and knowing that I am not alone:

www.sleepnet.com

www.talkaboutsleep.com

Sleep disorders are a real problem and I sympathize with others who share these afflictions!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Your research in a basic sense is correct. Adderall is a CNS stimulant but it can have a paradoxical affect on people who have ADD or ADHD, as two examples, or other diagnosis. The use of CNS stimulants on hyper-active brain function is also paradoxical, to a degree. For example a hyper child bouncing off the walls and unable to concentrate is slowed down by use of a CNS stimulant as opposed to the use of a sedative. So now you are aware, CNS stimulants have been used to treat insomnia. I personally have used Adderall as a sedative.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Intriguing Stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by AngryFish View Post
    So now you are aware, CNS stimulants have been used to treat insomnia. I personally have used Adderall as a sedative.

I am well aware of the use of CNS stimulants in hyperactive disorders. It is my understanding that the hows and whys as to its effect on the hyperactive brain is yet unknown.

I still do not follow how that translates into being used to treat insomnia. Insomnia and narcolepsy are two totally different beasts. Obviously you know more than I do, so I'll just let you do the typing from here.
    Last edited by Fezz; 11-23-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I am well aware of the use of CNS stimulants in hyperactive disorders. It is my understanding that the hows and whys as to its effect on the hyperactive brain is yet unknown.

I still do not follow how that translates into being used to treat insomnia. Insomnia and narcolepsy are two totally different beasts. Obviously you know more than I do, so I'll just let you do the typing from here.

Some things just don't make sense. When I worked at a camp for retarded children, there were those who were also hyperactive. Believe it or not, those were given amphetamines. And the drowsy ones were given phenobarbitol. Now, this was 1970, so things may have changed along those fronts.
    Go figure!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    okay, so my sister has narcolepsy, so maybe I can help.

Ritalin can be used to help a kid with ADHD focus. Bringing down the hyperness. But after a certain age, it also can be used as an upper. For my sister, it did two things. It kept her awake when needed, and it helped balance her sleeping habits.

Unfortunately, she was also recently diagnosed with MS and these drugs interfere with her other drugs. So basically, she cannot take her drugs for narcolepsy. Which means she cannot work anymore, because she passes out on the job. Another reason why I get really bothered when people assume that all people on welfare are stealing their dollars for cellphones and SUVs. Or that people are worthless and irresponsible for not having health insurance, because at 22 with a minimum wage paying job you should know better and be able to afford $6k a year for top coverage.

FYI - I did the best with the spelling that I could
    Last edited by For-Life; 11-23-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

And...

Quote Originally Posted by eyeguy123 View Post
    and now back to your regularly scheduled program.
    Cyclobenzaprine does the trick for me. Since alcohol has been eliminated from my diet for over 7 years now. The better of two evils.

Thread Information