Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Board management question....

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Sounds like you have a relative of Jamies rep for yours. Me thinks you guys are getting snowed on,:o as I have never had a minimum either.

I agree, we don't have a minimum with ours either, although several of our reps whine like babies when we don't order enough new frames...
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I used to do the frame ordering for the private practice I ran, for my main bread and butter lines, I would do about 14 models (I think that's how many fit in one column) ordering 2 of each (getting the two most common sizes, and getting the two most common colors). We started looking toward doing one of each, and getting more designs out, but in all honesty, I never found more than 14 models of any one brand that I liked. It seemed like the 15th model and after were ones that would just sit on the board taking space anyway.

Good luck!

Edit: I found a picture, so I thought I'd throw it up for kicks of my old place. :)

Last edited by William Walker; 11-19-2009 at 09:42 AM.
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    I agree, we don't have a minimum with ours either, although several of our reps whine like babies when we don't order enough new frames...
    Scott's awesome, he does try to get more board space but he's never been pushy about it. When CV had the KC line we did more business with them than any other vendor, the BCBG is a nice line as well and the OP does well. Good looking stuff decent pricing and the MD rep is a joy to deal with.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by William Walker View Post
    When I used to do the frame ordering for the private practice I ran, for my main bread and butter lines, I would do about 14 models (I think that's how many fit in one column) ordering 2 of each (getting the two most common sizes, and getting the two most common colors). We started looking toward doing one of each, and getting more designs out, but in all honesty, I never found more than 14 models of any one brand that I liked. It seemed like the 15th model and after were ones that would just sit on the board taking space anyway.

Good luck!

Edit: I found a picture, so I thought I'd throw it up for kicks of my old place. :)

Interesting observation. Thanks for sharing your great pictures!

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Scott's awesome, he does try to get more board space but he's never been pushy about it. When CV had the KC line we did more business with them than any other vendor, the BCBG is a nice line as well and the OP does well. Good looking stuff decent pricing and the MD rep is a joy to deal with.
    I feel the same way about my CV rep; he's a dear, and a great finder of frames when I need something. Back in the day, I used to sell a ton of KC stuff. Somehow, with Marcolin, they're not as fun as they used to be. Maybe it's just me.

In the past, I have had to order two of the same frame (different colors or sizes), but only on the higher-priced brands (BCBG, Ellen Tracy, not OP) and if it was a brand-new style for my own board. If it was a reorder, no minimum. The last time I saw him, though, no more minimums! I think someone has complained. . .
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeyecare View Post
    The Clearvision "rule" as I understand it, in my area... or atleast according to my rep, is...

They make it up as they go along. It's your store. Acknowledge their "policy", and then tell them about yours. You policy take precedence.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    I wouldn't bring it up to the rep by phone, I would wait and do it in person. Pick out 1 frame only on a new style, and when he/she says you have to buy 2, Wam!!, let them have it. For me, that would be the door, as I have no threshold for lying reps, but I don't know if you can do that in your situation. If not, all you will be left with is a badly strained working relationship in the future.
    I agree one hundred percent.

Thread Information