Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board management question....

Occupation
    Optometrist

Board management question....

Lets say you have 500 total spaces on your frame boards....
    you decide to give a line 14 spaces.

Would you prefer to fill these 14 spaces with 14 different models (all of the same line) or 7 models (2 color/size of each model)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd have as much variety as possible and tell patients that many frames come in additional colors and sizes. Having duplicates in my office just means I have more stock under the shelves. If a patient really likes a certain frame but thinks it's too large or small, I have him/her try on a frame that is the same size as the other size options of the desired frame and see whether it feels more comfortable. Also, make sure that those 14 frames are not incredibly similar to other frames you have on your board. I find variations of a theme are good, but having too much of the same thing looks boring.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    depend of the total frame of the same brand you have.. if let say you have a total of 25 frame from the same brand.. you can consider display 15 of the different model keep 10 as inventory.. you can show the patient other color or size as they request.. just to create the thought that you have everything to satisfy them.
    Yeap

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

500 frames

Curious about how you decided on 14 frames for a line, while displaying 500. Based on displaying 500 frames, your number of vendors should be between 6 - 8. Unless it is a very unique line, you should be giving more board space to each particular vendor/line. If you attempt to carry just a little of everything with so few frames displayed, you don't have a presence with any of them.

Just my 2 cents, which with the strength of the US dollar is not worth a lot, right now.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeyecare View Post
    Lets say you have 500 total spaces on your frame boards....
    you decide to give a line 14 spaces.

Would you prefer to fill these 14 spaces with 14 different models (all of the same line) or 7 models (2 color/size of each model)
    I have about the same number of spaces that you do. I order in only one frame (I try to make it the middle size or, for women, I order the smaller size if only two sizes exist and I order in the larger size for men (mostly). I order in a brown or gunmetal frame (no wild colors). Then if a person wants to look at another color, I order it in "to view". They like it they get it or if not, I send it back. The frames that do the best after 6 or 8 months, I order in a different size and a different color so I have two in stock. That way there's almost always one of those frames on the board. (But, these are very few).

Variety is the most important thing. I have never lost a sale because I had to order in a frame to view ... but I have lost sales because someone couldn't find the design they wanted. In a small dispensary like ours, the variety of frames in most important.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Diane, if you are going to bring in a new line then you need to have a stronger presence than 14 frames. If this is not possible then I would order 14 diffrent frames. I carry Clearvision and they require that whenever I order in a new style I carry two of the same style in diffrent colors and size. With this manufacturer I have about 20-25 board spaces for each line. It is convienent to have them in two colors because it gives the pt more options and saves me shipping costs of always ordering things in diffrent sizes and colors.
    jamie

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAH View Post
    Also, make sure that those 14 frames are not incredibly similar to other frames you have on your board. I find variations of a theme are good, but having too much of the same thing looks boring.

but... variation doesn't seem matter to the customers... if I had a dollar for each tiem I heard "all your frames look the same." I'd have... a lot of dollars. which is sad because we specifially try to make sure we have a nice selection. They just don't look at glasses all day long, and tell the difference either way.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie w View Post
    I carry Clearvision and they require that whenever I order in a new style I carry two of the same style in diffrent colors and size.
    Who owns the dispensary....you folks or Clear Vision?

I would REQUIRE them to get the hell out of my practice!

Pronto!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for the response guys.

Further elaboration....

We have 250 board spaces for "insurance covered frames."
    So these are frames that RETAIL for $50-$120.
    As such, we normally would give about 10-17 spaces per frame line for these types of frames. Our goal with this board, is to find the nicest frames we can get for patients within this retail range. So its not a matter of showing "presence." We have some lines on this board that have only 3-4 frames to represent the line. THe goal of the boards is to give the best selection for the patient's "covered" allowance. We try our best to offer the most diverse selection as possible on these boards (4 boards), so yes, we try our best to order frames that don't resemble each other.

The rest of our more expensive frames (over insurance allowance) go on nice display shelves with nice POP and other decor enhancements.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Who owns the dispensary....you folks or Clear Vision?

I would REQUIRE them to get the hell out of my practice!

Pronto!!
    I agree with Fezz on this by the way, pretty much any frame supplier that has a requirement on the number of frames I have to carry from them, for whatever reason, we tell them to get lost. Although, we might be slightly nicer about it than the Almighty Fezz. ;)
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    Although, we might be slightly nicer about it than the Almighty Fezz. ;)

I WAS being nice!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well Fezz I really do not mind because Cole Hahn and BCBG are two lines that do very well for me. So in many occasions it has been helpful to have the style in 2 sizes and colors. Usually I do not have trouble selling both frames and I am saving the cost of shipping in frames for pt's to "view". But thanx for your opinion.
    jamie

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I agree with Diane, if you are going to bring in a new line then you need to have a stronger presence than 14 frames. If this is not possible then I would order 14 diffrent frames. I carry Clearvision and they require that whenever I order in a new style I carry two of the same style in diffrent colors and size. With this manufacturer I have about 20-25 board spaces for each line. It is convienent to have them in two colors because it gives the pt more options and saves me shipping costs of always ordering things in diffrent sizes and colors.
    jamie

I carry Clearvision and they have never required anything like that at all from me. I get what I want in any color any quantity, no minimum. I'd talk to your rep and see what they say.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I used to do alot with Clearvision, but after getting stuck with so many frames that don't sell (b/c of bad size or colr) b/c I had to order 2 colors/sizes, I just stopped ordering. We still carry their Jessica McClintock line though.... but everything else, BCBG, Ellen Tracy, OP.... have been phased out.

THe purpose of this thread, in all honesty, was to touch on this issue that Clearvision requires. I just didn't want to mention the company, but thanks for you guys for bringing it up. I feel that with the more designer brands that Clearvision offers, ie Cole Haan, BCBG, and Ellen Tracy.... you can still present a strong presence with 12-15 pieces, of different models, and the proper POP. Ordering 7 models, and 2 frames per model... instead of 14 different models per line, I feel really limits the patient's selection, and does little to enhance the line's presence.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    THe purpose of this thread, in all honesty, was to touch on this issue that Clearvision requires. I just didn't want to mention the company, but thanks for you guys for bringing it up.
    I do believe that you and Jamie are victums of greedy reps. Clearvision has no such policy that I know of either, and I, like Dragon, order one of certain styles all the time.

Let me guess, they also want a 2 for 1 on all exchange orders?:finger:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    i do believe that you and jamie are victums of greedy reps. Clearvision has no such policy that i know of either, and i, like dragon, order one of certain styles all the time.

+1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do understand eveyone's point of view and do appreciate the info. I was not aware that this was not a policy across the board at Clearvision. I will definetly call my rep and find out the what the deal is I certinly do not want to deal with any rep that is going to outright lie to me.:angry:
    jamie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    i do believe that you and jamie are victums of greedy reps. Clearvision has no such policy that i know of either, and i, like dragon, order one of certain styles all the time.

:finger:

+2

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I often carry a 12-16 piece collection within a line especially if it''s an edgier style. I like to carry two colors per frame but it's not a rule. Every once in a while you get a hot seller in one color only and the other colors are duds so you keep that one. I don't carry Clearvision, don't intend to but whenever I get a new vendor I always call and check on their policys myself just in case. Any rep that has a lot of rules I generally stay away from. And yes I know I pay a premium for all that flexibility and leniency.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The first question is what your philosophy is on a given style, plus whether you sell of the board or not.

I sell off the board, and I drop ship, in order to be flexible.

I think the "right answer" is two colors, with different sizes. That is, two frames per style.

Then, how many styles do you think you need to represent? If it's a diverse core collection, you need lots of styles. If it's a "concept" collection, especially if it's only one gender, maybe six styles is just fine.

There's no perfect answer, but in general I like twenty-four frames per "line". That's twelve styles, and that's quite a few.

Bottom line, though, is that you should only buy what you think will sell, even if it's only three styles, rather than pick up another three just to meet your predetermined minimums (although it begs the question why you need that vendor in the first place).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well interestingly enough I called Clearvision and was told by a person in customer service that that she "thinks" that that is not the policy that you can indeed cary a new style in only one size and color. I have left a message with sales support to get a difinitive answer. I have to admit I am irritated I did not mind the policy however it is the principal that I do not want to be lied to by a rep that I thought I had a good relathionship with.:angry:
    jamie

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeyecare View Post
    Thanks for the response guys.

Further elaboration....

We have 250 board spaces for "insurance covered frames."
    So these are frames that RETAIL for $50-$120.
    As such, we normally would give about 10-17 spaces per frame line for these types of frames. Our goal with this board, is to find the nicest frames we can get for patients within this retail range. So its not a matter of showing "presence." We have some lines on this board that have only 3-4 frames to represent the line. THe goal of the boards is to give the best selection for the patient's "covered" allowance. We try our best to offer the most diverse selection as possible on these boards (4 boards), so yes, we try our best to order frames that don't resemble each other.

The rest of our more expensive frames (over insurance allowance) go on nice display shelves with nice POP and other decor enhancements.

So, 50% of your sales are insurance-related and 100% of those only want "what insurance will cover" ?? Interesting...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well interestingly enough I called Clearvision and was told by a person in customer service that that she "thinks" that that is not the policy that you can indeed cary a new style in only one size and color. I have left a message with sales support to get a difinitive answer. I have to admit I am irritated I did not mind the policy however it is the principal that I do not want to be lied to by a rep that I thought I had a good relathionship with.:angry:
    jamie
    I wouldn't bring it up to the rep by phone, I would wait and do it in person. Pick out 1 frame only on a new style, and when he/she says you have to buy 2, Wam!!, let them have it. For me, that would be the door, as I have no threshold for lying reps, but I don't know if you can do that in your situation. If not, all you will be left with is a badly strained working relationship in the future.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The Clearvision "rule" as I understand it, in my area... or atleast according to my rep, is you need to order 2 frames of the same model for each of their designer lines if you order thru the rep (ie BCBG, Ellen Tracy, Cole Haan).

However, you can order single frames of new frame models if you order thru the telephone with Clearvision. So the loophole is if you want to introduce new single models, then just call up Clearvision and order directly.

My rep is very upfront about this. She would show us the new stuff, and ask us to order 2 frames of the new models we like. However, if we didn't want to order two frames, she recommend we call Clearvision to order directly. So its not too bad....

I believe Clearvision had authored an article in one of the optical mags recently where they discussed board management and the importance of carrying two variants (size, color) of the same model. Hmmmm.... a little biased and self-promoting propaganda....

In addition, in order for you to open a new Clearvision line, if you order the frames thru your rep (ie, sitting down, seeing and feeling each frame), then you have minimum order number to meet (I think its like 16 or so).

However, you can order these same frames thru Clearvision by phone, and they have no requirement for minimum order, or whether you carry the line or not, just as long as you have an account with Clearvision.
    Last edited by DrNeyecare; 10-30-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In addition, in order for you to open a new Clearvision line, if you order the frames thru your rep (ie, sitting down, seeing and feeling each frame), then you have minimum order number to meet (I think its like 16 or so).
    Sounds like you have a relative of Jamies rep for yours. Me thinks you guys are getting snowed on,:o as I have never had a minimum either.

Thread Information