Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luxotica sets itself up to IMPLODE!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I too recently took charge and discontinued all Luxottica products since becoming manager....at first the rep was all nicey nice to my face and pretended I was going to get credit back on all product then proceeds to take the easy way out and left me a message that we wouldn't get any credit on the frames returned and that we would be charged a "restock" fee if we wanted to return anything else from this point on. The very next day we get a letter from Maui Jim stating that they will no longer allow their frames to be stocked in any Sunglass Hut or Lens Crafters stores....lol.....touche! So I am now having a 50% off "certain" frames in our shop to move the garbage out. I love it I love it! NO MORE LUXOTTICA!! Cheers:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by flexonman View Post
    The bad news is the Marchon, Revolution and the Safilo lines are dead so it is time to sell off and not replace. We added some new lines that offer diversity and that is what is is selling. The margins are much better and necessary.
    I'm re-thinking Safilo right now but Marchon Nike still sells very well and Revolution in the women's sunclips sell better than I ever thought they would. Sun clips are picking up again, I think it's the crappy economy, so they see a value there. Fine with me, you want it, I'll keep it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Luxottica

A simple solution to the Luxottica problem is to discontinue their product. There are so many great eyewear companies out there! Private practices should have no need for Luxottica.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    WOW! Looks like i found the wright thread for luxotica bashing maybe if we all join hands we can put that company out of business . Who's with me?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by clumsy lab guy View Post
    WOW! Looks like i found the wright thread for luxotica bashing maybe if we all join hands we can put that company out of business . Who's with me?
    Bashing? Nah...

A bunch of independents whining about a few frame companies is ot ngoing to make any difference. Lux does not depend on our business to make a living, as they've got their retail and overseas business to power their future. (?)

Secondly, "joining hands" implies that we could all group together for a common cause. This is optical...it'll never happen!:hammer:

So, where abouts in Mason, Oh. are you from?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have to admit, I did get a chuckle out of the heading of this thread. To think that a return policy would be the demise of a multi-national, multi-billion dollar corporation is truly humorous.

I have heard though, that recently, the marching orders are more frequently coming directly from Italy, and not via Ohio as much.

I have a feeling that the bricks and mortar model is getting to be draining for them, and they are looking closer at going the way of the net...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optometrist

Seriously.

I'm thinking the era of the "big three" or "big boys" is ending soon.

I see Marchon as being VSP insurance frames in the future. Wait for the VSP/Marchon/Altair (EyeMed-esque) minimum frame requirement, and then wait for the later (Davis-sque/Spectera-esque) VSP frames-only requirement (or significant incentive) for their members.

Safilo will probably not recover, and if they do they won't be "big".

I think the future will be small, independent frame companies and the major monster Luxottica, who will own all the "good" couture brands.

Thread Information