Thread: Question: what made you decide to go into business for yourself?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Question: what made you decide to go into business for yourself?

Obviously this is for the people running their own shops and not the rest of us who are working for "the man".

Why did you make the switch? Did you not like the way your boss/company was running things? Did you see the high markup on products and decide it was something you couldn't refuse? Did you just want to be your own boss and set your own hours?

I'd really be interested in hearing everyone's response on this.

I've been looking into the possibility of branching out on my own, I guess the initial startup costs are what probably scare many people away.

Are there any things you wish you did differently? How much experience did you have before going into business for yourself?

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At first it was to make more and work less.

Reality was I made less and worked more.

My advice, if you can do without money or spare time for a few years then quit your job and open a store.

If not, keep your job and open an unrelated, smaller business on the side.

Don't confuse owning a business with owning a job.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can remember the day like it was yesterday...

I was a sales rep, and was waiting across the street to cold call on an optical. At 3 minutes to 10:00, a guy unlocked the front door, and dragged a 4X8 piece of plywood out, and leaned it against a pole in front of the building. Spray painted in black on the front, it said,

"Optical Open"

I called my wife and said, "You are not going to believe what I just saw...". I related what I had seen, and mentioned that there were now people waiting in line at the reception desk. I told her that if this guy can make it, anyone can make it, and I decided that day to open my own place.
    Last edited by Johns; 10-25-2009 at 06:30 PM.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

I told her that if this guy can make it, antone can make it, and I decided that day to open my own place.

You have a French silent partner?

Antone is the french dude, if I have to explain it the humor is already gone.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I did it because of poverty.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I did it because of poverty.

You wanted to get closer to it?:D

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    At 3 minutes to 10:00, a guy unlocked the front door, and dragged a 4X8 piece of plywood out, and leaned it against a pole in front of the building. Spray painted in black on the front, it said,

"Optical Open"
    That is AWESOME.

It seems like almost everywhere is a chain store (has it always been that way?). It would appear that an independent shop could do well, assuming the ones in charge were competent. The chain stores have to pay the salaries of the higher ups that seem to do very little actual work.

I know that some states don't allow optical shops to employ doctors but my question to the people in the states that do allow it is - do you find it tough to get by without having a doc on site? Some doctors sell eyewear but they charge as much as the big boys and that doesn't make sense to me. Especially when I see the level of "quality" that comes from those shops.

The seed continues to grow...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    That is AWESOME.

It seems like almost everywhere is a chain store (has it always been that way?). It would appear that an independent shop could do well, assuming the ones in charge were competent. The chain stores have to pay the salaries of the higher ups that seem to do very little actual work.
    Independents can do very well, especially in tough economic times. They have the ability to know their local markets better, and adjusting to changing conditions more readily. Their overhead is not as high (if it's done right) and yes, there are not big salaries of layers and layers of management.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    /sigh

I wish I could get my own shop going. Someday once I rustle up enough to get started I'll open a shop inside my sister's medical building. it does take a few dollars though ;)
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Someday

I'd love to own my own place. While I like working for the office that I am with now, I have always viewed it as a short term thing. I like the idea of being my own boss much more. My parents both owned their own businesses so I have always seen first hand how much more work gos into it, but im definatly up for the challenge. I would love to be able to do it now, but i have to save up! :)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper In short....................

Having come from a well to do retail optical family, with a few diplomas in optics I just wanted to prove myself.
    I was ready to tighten my belt, until times would go easier. Took 10 years to be the boss of a frame company with 2 major Eurpoean lines and a Rx lab with a total of 75 employees, out of which there were 9 reps and 2 branch offices in other parts of the country.

In the 11th year I bought my first brand new car. For many years I had a smaller income than many of the people that worked for me.

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I did it because I hate taking orders from someone, and being subject to their bad decisions. I would fail the military, that's for sure.

Thread Information