Thread: Missouri Opticians Association?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Missouri Opticians Association?

Anyone from Missouri or previously associated with any form of Association for Opticians in Missouri? I have not seen any listing for a formal association for Missouri on the OAA site or through google searches. A friend of mine says there at least used to be one in the state, but I find no signs of one ever existing. Any help is appreciated! :)

Jaron Smith, ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I believe...

there used to be an association, but it has been long gone. There was talk some time ago about restarting, but it never came to fruition.

I was at the Opticians Assoc. of Kansas annual meeting on Sunday in O.P. Part of the discussion was to possibly have a combined Kansas/Missouri meet in the future and see if both states want to join forces to have one big association.

Bob Vartanian

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great Idea!

Starting an association would be a great asset to the profession there, and Kansas' joint meeting could certainly be a wonderful opportunity to measure interest. There are many around the country willin and able to help. Good luck.

Warren

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I live just south of KC,MO and would love to be involved.

This sounds like a great idea!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'll be in touch...

I'll be in touch with the OAK president by this weekend. I let him know of Optiboard and hopefully he will be posting shortly.

Bob Vartanian

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This thread is probably dead, but does any know the steps that we would have to take in order to get the association back up and running?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Organize a small group from across the state. Plan a meeting with CE for board certified folks (several of us who lecture will be glad to help you get off the ground) and the have the initial committee pass the word and do some marketing. Your labs can help spread the word. I will be in Kirksville attending graduation for some of my doctoral students at AT Still University in September. If that is close and you would like to meet I will help all I possible can. You need a professional association. Good luck!
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 07-02-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Bill Haughey, in Kansas City, and Ray Kleeschulte (sp?), in St. Louis, were very active among the leadership of the Opticians Association of Missouri, up until the organization disbanded around 16 years ago. If you can track one or even both of those guys down, they might be able to provide some advice on re-organizing the association.

Unfortunately, with the proliferation of affordable online/magazine CE courses, the increasing challenges associated with advancing opticianry licensing legislation, and the steady decline in the number of "career opticians" in the Midwest, it eventually became very difficult for the association to generate enough interest to sustain itself.

A reasonable alternative approach might be to work with the Opticians Association of Kansas, perhaps to form some sort of combined opticianry association. In any case, I'd definitely contact Bob Vartanian, the OptiBoarder above. He'll undoubtedly have some additional advice or guidance to share.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    (Former Board of Directors, Opticians Assoc Mo)
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Thread Information