Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think the next hot look in eyewear will be?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What do you think the next hot look in eyewear will be?

So rectangles and dark plastics have been around for a while. Large sunglasses aren't new looking anymore. Thick temples are everywhere. So what do you think the next big looks in eyewear will be? Are you stocking a new hot look now?
    Last edited by Happylady; 10-19-2009 at 09:50 PM.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have seen a few celebrities wear larger square plastics recently. I sure hope that is not the new style.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You mean the old Emmanuel Khanh frames will be back in style? Yech.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The "new" hot look is always a retread of an "old" hot look. Us oldies have seen the complete 180. There is a trend toward larger frames but right now it is in a transitional phase so pretty much everything goes. The decorative temples will make way for larger and brighter frames for women. No cheek sitters but progressive friendly lenses none the less. Metal suns for women, aviators, squares. I can see more retro double bars for men with sharper corners in place of semi rimless. I wouldn't be surprised to see carbon frames make a comeback.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Disclaimer: optometrists (all of whom occasionally wear plaid pants) should be very humble in their "cool" quotient and fashion predictions.

I've always had an amateurish belief that ladies hairstyles are important to frame size. Big frames = big hair, so I don't see it.

Having said that, I think we'll go "natural eco-friendly" and have bamboo shooting out of everywhere. Green, brown, tan, earth tones, etc. Maybe made out of recycled cardboard.

However, it seems at the young level we are back to poor, shabby chic. I expect retro specs to increase. We may see people stop combing their hair.

I expect black, satan worshipping zombie frames to increase, as we all tatoo ourselves to death and ride Harleys.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone think the P3 shape or round shapes will make a comeback in a big way?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Does anyone think the P3 shape or round shapes will make a comeback in a big way?
    They are here, especially with the 14 - 25 and 65+ groups. Some plastic and some metal (a few rimless)

Occupation
    Not that Parisian eyewear is necessarily any indication of pending trends, that they have such a concentration of "opticien" locations leads me to believe there must be some connection. I just arrived back in the States from there last Thursday and yes, Jacqui's right - the round plastics are here. I saw plenty of Mikli, Lafont (go figure), and Humphreys-ish frames. Rimless was frequently on the opposite end of the spectrum. The "retro" P3 and large plastic looks were clearly visible in the crowd and not just some once-in-awhile obscurity.

I was floored at how many shops there were! http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.153637&z=13

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Not that Parisian eyewear is necessarily any indication of pending trends, that they have such a concentration of "opticien" locations leads me to believe there must be some connection. I just arrived back in the States from there last Thursday and yes, Jacqui's right - the round plastics are here. I saw plenty of Mikli, Lafont (go figure), and Humphreys-ish frames. Rimless was frequently on the opposite end of the spectrum. The "retro" P3 and large plastic looks were clearly visible in the crowd and not just some once-in-awhile obscurity.
    Interesting. So far I am seeing no interest in this style at my shop yet but if it's hot in Paris I am sure it is coming. What kind of rimless styles did you see a lot of?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Interesting. So far I am seeing no interest in this style at my shop yet but if it's hot in Paris I am sure it is coming. What kind of rimless styles did you see a lot of?
    Happylady, mixed bag on the rimless. Predominantly, I saw the traditional hingeless compression-sleeve mounts like Silhouette's Minimal Art/Must Collections. I saw none of the TNG3 style and, that I could tell, nothing like an Airlock. I saw a smaller number of 3 piece mounts with spunky, thick zyl or ornate metalwork temples but they definitely were there.

Bad address email on file OptiChick21's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

if only we could forecast the future...

I would love to know ahead of time whats going to be hot soon too!!

What lines are selling for you guys really well right now??

We do very well with Kate Spade, Nine West, Ted Baker, Flexon, Ray Ban and a few others...

We are testing out Theory, seems to be going ok, a little fashion forward for this midwest town!

What lines are you seeing on their way out??

We are not doing so hot with Dior anymore... people say it's too flashy and overpriced for this economy? Some have said it's associated with older women?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The 80s are back in fashion, so I expect to see larger, rounder plastics and lots of color. That's not going to work on most people, especially those of us who have the pictures hidden from the first time this look was considered in, so I'm interested in seeing what the mainstream does to that trend.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the last year or so, I've had a few men asking for a round, P3-style frame. But not enough to keep several on hand. For ladies (and some men), temple treatments are what's popular. Not so much the open, double-temple, "floating" lens design, but temples with something going on down the sides: patterns, textures, laser-cut shapes, geometric patterns, etc. We've gotten away from stones in ladies frames; that was really popular for years!

Green has been a good color, both for men and women, in all shades: khaki green, forest green, lime green. Green's always been my favorite color, so I've been glad to see this trend.

One retro style I just keep selling is "Emery" by Lucky Brand. It's a neat 1964-JKF look, black plastic on top and silver metal on bottom. I sold 2 last year and 3 this year already. It's my favorite guy's frame we carry. For gals, my favorite look is the cateye. Most gals say "I look like my mom," or "I look like I did when I was 12." Either you love it or you hate it. I love it!
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Banned
    Occupation
    Facetts

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    Facetts
    Don't use language like that, this is a G rated forum. :D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Facetts
    And then someone had to throw out an F-bomb.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I still have my Le Facetuer, but I need a new drive belt.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Occupation
    Once, one of our branch labs wanted to give a break on the price for facetting lust a little down one side. I arqued to our branch vice president that it took the same equipment and skills. I lost the argument so when our boss was looking for what we would call such a product for our pricing. One of my co workers quickly came up with the name half facetting. Say it fast.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually we've gotten a few requests lately for true ovals and cat-eyes neither of which we couldn't pay people to wear a few years ago. Which if I remember correct was last popular in the late 80's to early 90's, right about the time skid pants came out [:finger: involuntary shudder].

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Off-topic, but. . .

Honest to goodness, in Wal-mart a while back I saw some neon yellow leggings. They may have been stirrup style, now that I think about it. I do not want to relive those years of my life. :(
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Facetts
    Page 8 from the latest Eyecare Professional Mag. The latest from Fendi!:hammer:

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post
    Honest to goodness, in Wal-mart a while back I saw some neon yellow leggings. They may have been stirrup style, now that I think about it. I do not want to relive those years of my life. :(

No, no, no! You are not allowed to go off topic until the middle of the second page.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The next hot look, huh?

My guess would be the next hot look is every frame that I have stashed in a box and dragging my feet about donating!

I am POSITIVE that these frames will be THE NEXT BIG THING in eyewear.

You can buy these soon to be, maybe, I hope, next hot sellers for only $****{Sorry, can't give wholesale prices}.

PM me for PICTURES!!!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

PM me for PICTURES!!!
    Are they the original pictures? :D

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...light=pictures

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post

Yeah, that's where we pick up on the latest fashion trends as well! (as do the optometrists DRK hands out with!)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information