Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Who runs ABO/NCLE?

Who is the governing board at ABO/NCLE?

:) Jerry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Why I posted this

I wanted to have a discussion with the governing body of ABO/NCLE about their rigid rules for certifying speakers for Advanced Certification courses. Does anyone have any comments or opinions?

Jerry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Here's a list of 'Licensing Boards' from the ABO site:

http://www.abo.org/licensing.html

You can also email them at mail@abo-ncle.org. I didn't find any mention of a Governing Board on their site however.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Contact them at www.abo-ncle.org

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Thanks for the sight info,

I went to ABO/NCLE's website and emailed them with the question "Who are the directors of ABO/NCLE?". I haven't received a response yet but hopefully soon. As an education chairman of our state association, I find that dealing with organizations who make it difficult to put on their progams turn me off to putting on the programs. I think Advanced Certification is great but to find an individual speaker who is certified by the board to do several specific courses is close to impossible. I called the ABO/NCLE office and asked if two of the speakers could teach some of the core courses as well as some of the contact lens courses. I was told they would have to go through a certification process and to pay $50 per course to get their names on the list.
    They are already speakers in several other advanced certified courses. The remarks from the ABO/NCLE office was that we probably could not get them certified before our March meeting. I don't understand why not! They have been scrutinized for the other courses and found to be quality speakers. Is this $50 certification fee per course the cost to look over the application? What happened to the non-profit status of the organization? Each one of us who are certified pays for certificaion renewal and individual course costs.

Bureaucratic policies are part of the problem with our society. I was hoping that our educational institutions could trim some of this but it looks bleak.

Frustrated,
    :shiner: Jerry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier Still waiting

I'm still waiting to get that e-mail reply. It's been 4 days now.

Jerry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are two boards if I can remember correctly. One for ABO and one for NCLE. ABO is composed of members elected by the OAA Board and the NAO Board. NCLE is composed of members elected by the boards of OAA and CLSA. At least this is my recollection.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Very interesting

We need to contact the leadership of these boards and propose our ideas of higher education.

Jerry

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why don't you just call ABO and ask? I will even give you a name...Kara sorry can't remember her last name right at this moment but I am sure she is the only Kara there. She is absolutely wonderful and helpful I am sure she can tell you exactly what you want to know. I went to a meeting in Baltimore back in June with them and all were very helpful.

Steph

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

CLSA

Does the CLSA have a new E.Mail address. I used to get them and occasionally they actually answered @ clsa@husky.net

Lately the mail comes back. I am supposedly a fellow member in good standing.

Where is they on the net?

I can find the web page but I can't get through.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: CLSA

Originally posted by chip anderson
    Does the CLSA have a new E.Mail address. I used to get them and occasionally they actually answered @ clsa@husky.net

Lately the mail comes back. I am supposedly a fellow member in good standing.

Where is they on the net?

I can find the web page but I can't get through.

Chip
    Chip, their e-mail HAS changed. It's clsa@patriot.net... Try this website and see if you get through.http://www.clsa.info/index.shtml

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Stephanie

I have called and talked to Barbara Head. I was presented with little hope of certifying speakers for advanced certified courses that I had scheduled for our annual convention even though they were already certified for part of the courses. What is it with a $50/ course application fee for each speaker? Maybe I am unduly upset with bureaucratic red tape.

Jerry

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

So what you are saying Jerry is that speakers have to PAY for an application to be speakers?

Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Stephanie

They pay this fee for EVERY course they want to be listed as a speaker .

:hammer: Jerry

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Jerry,

I am listed as an ABO-AC speaker...

I paid $50.00 to be approved for ALL of the courses (well, the 10-12 I applied for which I felt comfortable talking about).

That was a few year ago, but I wasn't aware that they have since changed the fee for every course! Can you apply once and list a dozen courses?

just curious,

Laurie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Hi Laurie,

The information that Barbara Head from ABO-NCLE sent me stated that the fee was $50/course. When I talked to her on the phone she verified that. It will cost our state association an extra $300 to get our two speakers accredited for the courses I have planned to have. I know I could have requested more speakers but the cost of travel and speaker honorariums would have exceeded the cost to have them certified. I hope that Tina Schott from CLSA can obtain a grant for our program. It would certainly help our cost for this convention.

Jerry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Laurie
    Hi Jerry,

I am listed as an ABO-AC speaker...

I paid $50.00 to be approved for ALL of the courses (well, the 10-12 I applied for which I felt comfortable talking about).

That was a few year ago, but I wasn't aware that they have since changed the fee for every course! Can you apply once and list a dozen courses?

just curious,

Laurie
    Laurie,

I believe when the advanced pre-requisite courses first came out, there was an opportunity for you to submit (still based on speaker qualifications) request to be approved for as many courses as you felt qualified for, and there was maybe just the one $50.00 for all that you applied for. Everyone who applied did not get accepted as speakers. Now (since I've started getting approval for the advanced courses) it is $50.00 per course and you cannot even submit to be approved for but (I understand) 3 at a time. The rationale is that you cannot adequately prepare for more than that at a time. There is criteria for the amount of time that has been factored into being prepared for the courses. For those of you with foresight enough to sign up for vast numbers, it was to your advantage financially to do so when they first came out.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Diane

Interesting that the rationale is that you could only prepare for so many courses when they are set out verbatim to teach.

Jerry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't remember that Diane. I remember paying the $50 a course to speak for a few and remember the organization who requested me to present others applying and paying the fee on my behalf. If you remember not everyone can pesent them they have to meet certain criteria to be able to present.

I also pay when submiting a new course unless we are asked to write a new one and present it at meetings such as EXPO and EyeQuest then the provider submits and pays.

For those of you asking about grading a speaker, when presenting at EyeQuest and the like we actually do receive a critique based in fact on the overall class attendance in a variety of areas plus areas that may need improvement. The hardest one though is controlling the room temperature.:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Bev

In one of my posts I had metioned that the board had previously approved these speakers for other advanced courses. What is there about resubmitting vitae again? These speakers are approved of for other contact lens courses. Their advanced knowledge in contact lenses should lend them to be able to speak for any of the contact lens courses or core courses. Don't you think? There are many ways of funding an organization but you keep out very well qualified speakers and put a financial burden on the state societies when you nickle and dime every aspect of a excellent education program.

Jerry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It seems to me it would be nice to get a definitive answer from someone at the ABO about these speaker's fees.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jerry,
    I don't know if this will help or not, but there is a book that can be obtained from the ABO that I received about 3 months ago.

It is called:
    "Criteria for Continuing Education and Sponsor Handbook".

I called the ABO and asked for it and it was sent to me free of charge. It says in it that "a $50 non-refundable fee must be submitted with each course approval application effective July 1, 2001. (P.27)" Also, "the non-refundable application fee for new courses is $50 (P.26).

Also, in a booklet they sent me with my renewal it lists a number for Education Help Line (703) 715-6435.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Steve

Your'e right. Maybe I just caught them on a bad day.

Jerry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jerry,

I know it is cumbersome and yes you do have to resubmit vitea for each course. Just because one speaker is approved for a course doesn't mean he or she is qualified for the all the topics at hand.

The same is done for other organizations such as JACHPO.

Bev

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Exclamation Bev

I'm really just gripping about the bureaucracy of it all.

:hammer: Jerry

Thread Information