Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering about Chip.....................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Just wondering about Chip Anderson ...........????????????

This is now over a week since I have not seen a post by Chip Anderson............

Chip is an OB addict and usually never lets a day go by without any of his often satirical comments.

Just wondering if anybody has an idea ........................
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 10-13-2009 at 08:39 AM.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did I notice he took his avatar and his signature off his posts? Or am I thinking of someone else?
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Occupation

Blue Jumper Solved.......................

Just received an e-mail from Chip Anderson, and among others:

Yeah: Chris they banned me for life again
    Kind of sad to see him go...........................

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Chris,

Hcjilson just posted here about the subject at hand:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...915#post314915

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Yeah: Chris they banned me for life again

I wonder how long "life" is this time.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know one way for sure you can find out! :):)

(this was originally meant as a funny comeback...but flopped because I forgot to put in the bbgrin and all I can do now is the smiley's)
    Last edited by hcjilson; 10-14-2009 at 07:11 AM. Reason: added smileys to indicate levity!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know one way for sure you can find out!
    That comment was a response to a comment I wrote, also in jest. Neither initially came across that way. Bottom line, Chip is gone. It's Steves board, and he can act as he see's fit as far as what gets posted here. It's not brutal at all, just play nice.:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You forgot to say........

Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    That comment was a response to a comment I wrote, also in jest. Neither initially came across that way. Bottom line, Chip is gone. It's Steves board, and he can act as he see's fit as far as what gets posted here. It's not brutal at all, just play nice.:cheers:
    You forgot to say I've been sent away for "sensitivity training":D:D:D
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok Harry.
    I have been sent away for sensitivity training.

With my "training", and my relaxation thru typing video, I feel better.

Harry, we both got that this morning, thanks!:)

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I questioned this before posting it. But I figure that it cannot help if not heard. I used to be a paid member. I did not renew my membership because I moved at the time and forgot (it just was not a priority). I planned on doing it. But as a paid member, it really bothered me when I saw people being told "if you do not like these strict moves, then leave." I love this site. Been here for years. Plan on staying. But I think with so many paid memberships funding this site (because let's face it, what percent do those funds cover the cost? Judging from other sites, I am sure it is covered), then why are these members not getting any say.

I do not plan on pushing this, but I felt it is right that you guys hear it.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Wow.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Let's clear the air here and move on

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I questioned this before posting it. But I figure that it cannot help if not heard. I used to be a paid member. I did not renew my membership because I moved at the time and forgot (it just was not a priority). I planned on doing it. But as a paid member, it really bothered me when I saw people being told "if you do not like these strict moves, then leave." I love this site. Been here for years. Plan on staying. But I think with so many paid memberships funding this site (because let's face it, what percent do those funds cover the cost? Judging from other sites, I am sure it is covered), then why are these members not getting any say.
    I do not plan on pushing this, but I felt it is right that you guys hear
    it.
    I am going to post the guidelines below what I am writing now. I would ask For Life, and anyone else who cares to, to please point out anything that seems unreasonable. I and the others who care about this board will be interested what you have to say, and address any valid concern. If any of you think that a paid subscription is a license to violate the quidelines, you are mistaken. If you think these quidelines are reasonable, feel free to say that too. Have at it!

The Posting Guidelines

This site is adminstered and maintained by Steve Machol. OptiBoard is sponsored and partially funded by Transitions Optical, Inc. Although Transitions is kind enough to sponsor this resource for eyecare professionals, they do not influence or control the content of this board. This site will continue to be maintained and monitored by Steve Machol.
    OptiBoard is designed to promote and encourage a free exchange of ideas and opportunities among eyecare professionals. This Board is here to serve PROFESSIONAL interests, and it is NOT acceptable to use it solely as a Marketing or Sales tool (except as noted below.). Blatant attempts to misuse this resource will be deleted.
    This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.
    The views expressed on OptiBoard are the opinions of the writers and do not necessarily reflect the views of OptiBoard or its sponsers.
    In order to post items and services for sale in this forum, you will need to first purchase one of the OptiBoard Subscriptions available in under Paid Subscriptions in your User CP. After this, you can post in the Optical Marketplace forum.
    Please identify all potential conflicts of interest clearly. If you are commenting on an issue or product that you have a financial interest in, you must identify this relationship.
    It is also all right to mention your product or service in response to another message. All I ask is that you do this without turning it into a major advertisement, and that you follow the previous point and identify your relationship to this product.
    If you wish to post a job offering or are looking for a position yourself, please use the Job Board forum.
    Do not leave duplicate messages. Choose the appropriate forum for your message and only post it once. Duplicates copies can and will be removed by the Moderators.
    Personal e-mail should be used for 1:1 sales pitches. Do not use the OptiBoard for these activities.
    When registering on the Board, please make sure to include your real email address (the one issued to you by your Internet provider.) I reserve the right to remove any messages which do not contain a valid email address - particularly when people use anonymous messages to attack other people or companies. Please note that I consider email from the "free" email services, i.e., yahoo.com, hotmail.com, email.com, etc., to be anonymous as well.
    This is a public discussion forum. It is not acceptable to post messages which offer to give private information on companies and individuals via e-mail or phone. If you have something to say - say it here and in public. This way, the affected party has a fair chance of seeing and responding to the message. Also, limit yourself to the facts. Name-calling and innuendo are not appropriate uses of this forum.
    Please do not use OptiBoard to conduct a personal vendetta against any company or individual. This will not be tolerated and these posts will be removed.
    Please do not post copyrighted stories and materials on the Board. If there is a story you want to post about, the Fair Use Doctrine can be difficult to interpret but it would appear to allow a brief example or summary of the material followed by a link to the complete article.
    Optiboard is a public discussion forum. We are composed of eyecare professionals and the consuming public. In this regard, it is inappropriate to publish wholesale prices, or other propriatary information which might compromise the relationship between professionals and consumers. If you have questions of this nature, or information to provide, please use the Private Message system to ask the question or to diseminate the information. Posts containing pricing information deemed inappropriate, will be removed.
    We will not remove messages merely because someone disagrees with the content or the conclusion of the poster. We will respect individual's right to speak freely. However, we do reserve the right remove messages or links to pages that are outside of the nature of this board, i.e. messages not dealing with the eyecare industry (except for messages in the Just Conversation forum.) Furthermore, we reserve the right to remove any messages or links that contain profanity, insults, racist or sexist comments, sexual content, or any of the usual offensive language. In this regard, our decision is final.
    Abuse of any of these guidelines may result in being banned from the Board.
    Lord Byron

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think the rules are fair. However, I have seen action and punishments that I feel went beyond those rules. Profanity, flaming, racism and sexual comments are very clear. But I do not think Chip snapping at someone, or Borysko's special threads, or talking about Essilor going online are breaking those rules.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper How to follow the rules..................

Harry..............a good point posting the Guidelines, will make us all aware of them.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 10-15-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

He went too far....

OVER THE EDGE

It was his choice, now he pays.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I think the rules are fair. However, I have seen action and punishments that I feel went beyond those rules. Profanity, flaming, racism and sexual comments are very clear. But I do not think Chip snapping at someone, or Borysko's special threads, or talking about Essilor going online are breaking those rules.
    1. Chip was not banned for snapping at someone.
    2. Borysko was castigated for his scatological references.
    3. Trashing a company is not allowed because claims are unsubstantiated. In the case mentioned, someone was trying to organize a boycott. These pages will not be used for that purpose. That is a period at the end of the sentence.

Banning someone who has been a long time and contributing member of Optiboard is never done lightly, without considerable thought.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 10-15-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: addendum
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

re: Chip

I don't know Chip, but I believe he was a valuable member of Optiboard. Is there anyone other than Chris Ryser with a number of posts even approaching his 11,000.

His contributions were usually intelligent and insightful, and I'll miss seeing his posts.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I suppose nobody wants to hear from me on this as I have had a few on-line run ins with him.

I don't know him personally, but many things he said on here were way out of line. Being a good optician doesn't excuse it. Living in America doesn't excuse it.

I don't know exactly what it is about the internet that makes people behave the way they do sometimes.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    I suppose nobody wants to hear from me on this as I have had a few on-line run ins with him.

Your right!:idea:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Your right!:idea:
    Like I said...there is something about the internet that makes people behave differently.

Again, no specific disrespect was intended towards one member of Optiboard. Simply making a statement about common courtesy and respect for others.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Like I said...there is something about the internet that makes people behave differently.
    From the people I've talked to that do "know him personally..." Chip doesn't act much different in person than he does online. In fact, after meeting with more than 20 Optiboarders over the past 4 years, in their offices, at trade shows, and even in their homes, I'd say that the majority of them behave no differently online than they do in person.

I have not met Chip, but I'd bet my measly paycheck that he's generally not a reserved guy, and generally speaks his mind. (Just a wild guess..)

I'm guessing that you're not much different in person either.:drop:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Its called..........

I don't know exactly what it is about the internet that makes people behave the way they do sometimes.

Its called diversity! It's one of the things that make this country what it is. You don't have to agree with someone in order to like or respect them or their point of view.
    Lord Byron

Bad address email on file OptiChick21's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

hmmm

now i am trying desperately to remember what it said below his name...?!

I must have overlooked it myself...

dang.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiChick21 View Post
    now i am trying desperately to remember what it said below his name...?!

I must have overlooked it myself...

dang.
    Sound like it's better if you forgot it...

Thread Information