Reviewer: Harry Chiling

Ratings:
    Quality:
    Ease of use:
    Customer service of the manufacturer or distributor:
    Value:
    Overall:

Review:
    The my vision express software works as described and has many advantages. The software does not lock up if software support is not purchased which allows offices to do business as usual even with an older version. Has an exam module that integrates well, although the user interface on the exam module is a bit cumbersome an unorganized. Phone support and issues for the most part have been easily dealt with and resolved, in one case the company even had a new release to their software to address an issue that our office was having. [strike]Their was one issue that not only went unresolved but the company was down right confrontational about which is the reasoning behind the 1 star for customer service, even after offering a comprimise and a solution on multiple occasions the company had no interest in resolving the issue.[/strike]

Would you purchase this product or other products from this company based on your experience with this product?:
    Yes [strike]and No[/strike], the software performs all of the functions necessary with purchased additional modules, more than adequately. [strike]The sales staff leaves much to be desired.[/strike]

PS - Turns out that the module was not anticipated to cost additional dollars on their part, however since a third party application was integrated their was an additional cost that was associated with the module due to that, it was never explained this way in the past so I changed my rateing to reflect a miscommunication rather than an ommision in features. I can't fault a company for a sound business decision, also my dealings with one of their sales managers was at first unpleasant, however again it was due to a miscommunication and ultimately I respect the guy more for being passionate about his companies product.

I have no financial interest in the company who makes and/or distributes the product I am reviewing or in any of their competitors.
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 10-16-2009 at 03:06 PM.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Harry:
    Is there a program that you like better ?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry, I think I could have written that review.

The software is actually pretty good. There aren't a lot of bells and whistles, and it runs pretty smoothly. Anything that I would mention about the software that we don't like would be nitpicking, as we have no problems with it.
    The updates were good, but the service contract was expensive, and after a few years, we realized that the only support we ever used was to fix glitches in their updates.

I could give more than a few examples of how they are really missing the boat in the customer service dept. and they seem to always be waiting with a "gotcha"!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, and in case anyone is wondering as to whether I really like the software,
    I just bought added it (MVE) to another store, and plan to buy another in February.

The bottom line is that the product is decent enough that customer service isn't really necessary for us anymore.

Love the product, not the service.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Love the product, not the service.
    We use the software in our office and I would agree, the software is great but the staff is a bit rough around the colar.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On the plus side, they are Optiboard GOLD supporters!:cheers:

And hey, if I were MVE, I'd much rather get reviews like the above, than to hear that the service is wonderful, but the product stinks.

Service is relatively easy to fix, but it's got to start at the top.;)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    Harry:
    Is there a program that you like better ?
    No because at the end of the day it all boils down to business and it would be a sound business decision to purchase software that works and is updated regularly to reflect the changes in our industry. My rating has been updated to show a change after commicateing further with the company, my lower CS rating was due to a miscommunication, which in the end was a sound business decision on the software companies end.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    PS - Turns out that the module was not anticipated to cost additional dollars on their part, however since a third party application was integrated their was an additional cost that was associated with the module due to that, it was never explained this way in the past so I changed my rateing to reflect a miscommunication rather than an ommision in features. I can't fault a company for a sound business decision, also my dealings with one of their sales managers was at first unpleasant, however again it was due to a miscommunication and ultimately I respect the guy more for being passionate about his companies product.

I've been biting my tongue through this whole review, but like I said in the first post, "I could have written this!!"

The problems that we had, and many others (may) have had, must have been due, in large part, to this same rep.

Poor communication? Yes, on the original rep's side, and then, because the issue never came up for a number of years, MVE had no idea that we were misinformed as to what was actually purchased.

In our case, the rep told us that the exam portion was all-inclusive, and not an extra module. We were under the impression that any advancement in the exam portion was included in the original purchase.

One day, out of the blue, we are locked out of the program! We worked it out, and because the new rep was not aware of what had been said to us previously, we both had to start at square one, and work it out. Emotions ran VERY high on both sides, as I was out of town, and my offices could not perform even the simplest function. It was worked out over the course of 9 hours, and we moved on.

Looking at their website today, it is very self-explanatory, and spells everything out very clearly. If I were a software buyer today (which I recently was), I would have no confusion in what I was purchasing, nor what the cost of my purchase would be.

When I talk about customer service, I am referring to the incident I described above. I have never needed any other customer service, and my IT guy that deals with them has no complaints. Lately, I have been dealing with a young lady named (V) that has been nothing but pleasant, and always responsive.

No, I have not been in contact with My Vision Express since I first posted here, nor do I expect to be. After seeing what Harry posted, I realized that this initial bad experience I had with the company, may have happened to others, and may have been isolated to that one rep.

Not only do I use the system in all my offices, I have recommended it to several other practitioners, and will continue to do so.

(If I might nit-pick one little bit though...I wish they'd do something with the on-hold/transfer music? OMG!! I was never on hold for long, but when that lyric-less ditty comes on, I want to jump out of the window!!)

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    One day, out of the blue, we are locked out of the program!

According to the web site , I did not think you could be locked out , is there something that I am missing ?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    According to the web site , I did not think you could be locked out , is there something that I am missing ?
    The original rep told us that there was an exam portion included, but at the time, you could only scan the info in, and create templates. He said that as the updates came out, the exam feature would be enhanced.

Fast forward 2 years later, we were networked, but only one office using the exam feature. Turns out it was a demo, and when the limit hit, we couldn't access our patient base.

That's when we found out the exam module was seperate.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Myvisionexpress Complaint

Harry,

We purchased Myvisionexpress over a year ago and have had difficulties from the beginning. The support staff has been very helpful but the product just doesn't live up to it's claims and the programming seems shoddy at best. We've invested over $20K in hardware and software into this product not to mention the thousands of dollars in staff time to get it actually working so obviously we're more than concerned with the overall product.

Here's our worst case example (there are many others but I don't want this to come off as a rant). We purchased their "Quickbooks Interface" only to learn that it really doesn't interface. It allows you to select refunds as a type of transaction but the values aren't transferred. You also need to manually open and run the product to transfer daily sales figures. This is not what we were told or expected. If it worked properly is would be transferring 8 numbers daily. I can certainly pay staff to enter those number instead of opening MVE to run a process that as it turns out doesn't transfer all the possible data. When we requested a refund we were told "All Sales Are Final" and pretty much too bad. I requested to speak with someone higher up and the owner himself called me to tell me to purchase something else which was a pretty big surprise. I doubt any of us would survive if we told our patients this.

I would strongly recommend that you look elsewhere for a product. I'd hate for anyone to spend the kind of money we have and see them in a similar position. If you have any questions please email me at christopherthomspon@verizon.net and I'd be happy to go into more detail.
    Last edited by cthompson; 02-08-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Thank you, Cthompson for your feedback. We value our customers and hope that you would contact us directly to resolve your issues. We take pride in helping Eye Care professionals accelerate their practices with complex demands of software integrations while maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction.

Insight Software, LLC
    My Vision Express
    877-882-7456

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I currently use this operating software and has been excellent. Any technical question has always been handled efficiently and professionally. To have a single imbecile list such a post without contacting the company first to resolve is not only idiotic, it's also unfair.

I hope we never rate CThompson's complete customer service satisfaction by interviewing a single patient.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

My vision express! Stay away!

Version 10.0 is so buggy that cant even be used! Their Optical Module is OK.
    Last edited by AlexB; 12-19-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
    PS Their sales people are always on a look out for bad reviews, so they will either counter this with a bogus claim. Or pose as a friendly and loyal customer (who has nothing to do but scan the reviews. And thats ofcourse its because they have made his life so much easier!) who will give them kudos. Right!
    I am far from their biggest fan, and definitely not one of their sales people! As you can see from this thread, I too, have had issues w/MVE, but I have since purhcased from them again, and will do so again in the future. At the end of the day , I think that it is up to the consumer to do their own research, and to have reasonable expectations.

We use MVE for a multi-store operation, and while there are a few changes I would like to see in the software, it is nothing that I would be willing to pay more for. You seem to have had a bad experience, but there must have been a reason that you chose MVE over the myriad of other programs available. Price? Perhaps.

When comparing the price of MVE to other programs, I would say that they are in the lower tier. Do you want lower? Try Eyebase. It was created by an OD out of Pa. We used it for aobut 5 years. It's very inexpensive, and if you need tech support, the creator will call you, as soon as he is back in the office. Oh, and you can't back it up conventionally. Oh, and it is extremely limited on reports. It worked when we were small, but you couldn't pay my staff to use it now.

As far as the Lux angle, that is laughable. Lux owns their own software programs, and are most likely working all the updates of it in-house. Officemate?
    Wish I had purchased Officemate. At least they are honest and not looking to rip you off for every module.
    Honest? Ok! If you say so...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you've got a busy shop, MDOffice+FlexOptical, ManagementPlus, Medflow, FoxFire, IOPracticeware, and NextGen are all well worth a look. Officemate, MyVisionExpress, Comulink, Maximeyes, and Altapoint are all in the same bucket.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by Johns; 04-25-2012 at 09:49 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yeah, What is FlexOptical???

Thread Information