Other Eyecare-Related Field

Big Smile Not another one of Pete Hanlins avatars

Where do all these come from?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Ahem...

Where do all these come from?
    I make them! This particular avatar came from images scanned from an issue of Harper's Bazaar.

I'm going to look over a 1965 Mustang tomorrow afternoon. Rest assured the themes of my avatars will take a automotive turn if I take on this new "project!"
    :D

----------------------
    Now perhaps you can answer a question for me. I recently received some biographical stuff from my uncle who has been tracing back our family. As I already knew, my predecesors went by the name O'Hanlon and lived in Ireland. Now we know that my great great great something or others came from an Island named "Enos Froy" off the coast of Ireland (and also the Isle of Enniskillen). Do you happen to know where either of these places are (in the South, which I understand is Ireland proper, or in the North, which is- albeit somewhat unwillingly- part of the UK)?

Interestingly enough (okay, probably not so interestingly for most of you... but it was to me), it turns out I am from a Protestant branch of the family (there are still good, Catholic O'Hanlons out there, but we wicked Protestants dropped the first "O" and replaced the second one with an "i").
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Re: Ahem...

Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
    [----------------------
    Now we know that my great great great something or others came from an Island named "Enos Froy" off the coast of Ireland (and also the Isle of Enniskillen). Do you happen to know where either of these places are (in the South, which I understand is Ireland proper, or in the North, which is- albeit somewhat unwillingly- part of the UK)?

, Catholic O'Hanlons out there, but we wicked Protestants dropped the first "O" and replaced the second one with an "i"). [/B]
    Now just try to find out the what Enos( Indias Famous Friut salt) Froy ( Fry) and O' Hanlons, meant in those time of your great great great....'s time.
    For me, It surely sounds that they used to do everything single handedly. So, the everybody used to exclaim,
    Oh! Hand Alone! Or may be, they were great Bankers and all the Ireland used to ask them for a hand loan!:bbg: I do not intend to insult anybody . Please make me aware if that amounts to some derogation. And pardon me, Pete.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    For me, It surely sounds that they used to do everything single handedly. So, the everybody used to exclaim, Oh! Hand Alone! Or may be, they were great Bankers and all the Ireland used to ask them for a hand loan!
    I'll have to pass this along to my uncle, he'll fall over laughing (which is in itself quite funny, because Uncle Ed makes this interesting wheeze/gasp sound when he laughs)!

No offense possible here, Sandeep! I didn't come up with the name and I can't be held responsible for any good (or otherwise) deeds from the past! I will warn you though, when you pick on me, you may be picking on another OptiBoarder (cah2020). Seems that her name (which is very similar to mine) traces its roots back to O'Hanlon as well!

Mr. O'Connell was nice enough to send me some links to Irish geneology sites (btw, did you know that approx. 25% of Americans claim to have Irish blood... either those Irish are big on breeding, or everyone just likes green a lot!), which I've passed on to the other "hand loners!"

:D Now, what is the entymology (sp?) behind Goodbole???
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    Right, Enos is a word I have never heard of before, but Inis is, and it is gaelic for Island.

Froy I have not heard of either, and It is not on a map.

My notion is that your great great may be from

1. Inis free (off the coast of Sligo)

or

2. Tory Island (off Donegal)

which are both in the republic.

Enniskillen is a town in county Fermanagh (in Northern Ireland), i suspect it expanded rather like Boston but on a smaller scale for Ennis would indicate the It was situated arond water or on an Island.

I doubt that it was your family that dropped the o and changed the i but the british who could not pronounce our names properly so altered them slightly, O'Hanlon means son of Hanlon the same as O'Connell means the son of Connell

BTW I think it is that the Irish that are fond of breeding as Maria has already pointed out

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    My notion is that your great great may be from 1. Inis free (off the coast of Sligo) or 2. Tory Island (off Donegal) which are both in the republic.
    I will assume that "The Republic" refers to the southern part of the island that is Ireland proper? I will have to look up a map to find Sligo and/or Tory Island.

I doubt that it was your family that dropped the o and changed the i but the british
    who could not pronounce our names properly so altered them slightly...
    Well, I've been told that when our family came "over here," there were NINA signs everywhere (No Irish Need Apply), so it really didn't help to have an Irish sounding name. The reason that I've always heard for changing the name was that it sounded Germanic with the "i." This "Protestant branch v. Catholic branch" thing was news to me. As for pronouncing, seems rare that anyone ever spells "Hanlin" correctly even now (its always Hanlan, Hanlon, Hanlen, or even Hanlyn... ugh)!

BTW I think it is that the Irish that are fond of breeding...
    Well, speaking for Americans, we are pretty fond of it ourselves! :D Fortunately, being the Protestants that alot of us are, we take certain measures to reduce the implications of breeding activity!
    -----------------
    Moving on to general "Ireland" questions... From what I gather, Northern Irish people seem quite disenfranchised with the UK (had an Irish patient a few months ago who actually cursed at me when I asked if she were from England). Do people from "The Republic" have the same ill feeling towards the Brits? If so, does it apply to just people from England, or universally to people from Wales and Scotland too? I've been trying to put my finger on exactly how the different "sections" of the UK are related. From the description I've heard, they don't seem akin to our states, nor do they seem like seperate countries- more like distinctive "regions."

Thanks for the info!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation

Well, speaking for Americans, we are pretty fond of it ourselves! :D Fortunately, being the Protestants that alot of us are, we take certain measures to reduce the implications of breeding activity!
    -----------------
    Moving on to general "Ireland" questions... From what I gather, Northern Irish people seem quite disenfranchised with the UK (had an Irish patient a few months ago who actually cursed at me when I asked if she were from England). Do people from "The Republic" have the same ill feeling towards the Brits? If so, does it apply to just people from England, or universally to people from Wales and Scotland too? I've been trying to put my finger on exactly how the different "sections" of the UK are related. From the description I've heard, they don't seem akin to our states, nor do they seem like seperate countries- more like distinctive "regions."

Thanks for the info!
    The patient that you questioned was almost certainly from Northern Ireland, a Catholic and a Nationalist. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. Unionists and Loyalists are the proportion (about 60%-65%) of the pepole in the state of N. Ireland who want to remain loyal to the british crown. They are mostly protestants. Nationalists are those who want to be a part of a United Ireland. They are in the Minority but their support is Gradually increasing.

Ireland became part of the British Empire during the plantations when they had there land reclaimed and given to The english(similar to the colonisation on the states)

In 1922 Ireland was declared a free state but still a dominion of Britain. Britain was reluctant to allow Ireland to gain independence because she was a small nation with basic or no military training, yet because of a fighting spirit and 2 great leaders Mick Collins and Eamonn De Valera (who had a Irish Mother a Spanish father and himself was born in the U.S.A) had brought the British Empire to its knees .

Ireland became a total free independant Republic in 1949, The north Remained part of the Uk.

Scotland and Wales are also part of the Uk. I dont know much about Wales, but some parts of Scotland have a strong connection with Ireland going back through the centuries as documented in BraveHeart

Some Video Rental suggestions for you

1. Michael Collins
    2. Bloody Sunday ( Has only come out in the past few weeks)

Occupation

Re: Ahem...

Island named "Enos Froy"

Enos Froy you say, I was thinking about this today.

The Gaelic for Inis Free is " Inis Fraoigh" sounding, pretty much the same as Enos Froy. Inis Free is an Inland lake Isle and was the inspiration for W.B Yeats poem "The Lake Isle of Inis Free"

Here is a map with Lough Gill(where The isle is situated)

You can zoom in to see it in more detail,

http://msrvmaps.mappoint.net/isapi/M...S=0&P=|81a762|
    Last edited by ioconnell; 02-01-2002 at 02:13 PM.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hmmm, the map didn't allow me to zoom in... However, according to what was turned up, the island was "Enos Froy, off the coast of Ireland."

Now, not to be too upstart or anything, there was also mention of the O'Hanlons owning the island "as long as fire burns and water runs," so when you do find my island, kindly plant a flag with "Property of Pete" on it!
    :bbg: (heh, heh)

One thing that surprised me about the map you linked to was how small the UK portion of Ireland is compared to the rest of the island. If the map is to scale (and if I'm reading it correctly), it looks like slightly less than 1/4 or so of the island is British! If that's the case, why not just throw the Bloody Brits off the island and end all this fighting!
    ;)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    OK...OK...the roses to photo thing is sweet...BUT, if this poetry kick Petes on lately takes on a more serious note for Valentines day....IM OUT OF HERE.

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Stick out tongue Shocked!

No offense possible here, Sandeep! I didn't come up with the name and I can't be held responsible for any good (or otherwise) deeds from the past! I will warn you though, when you pick on me, you may be picking on another OptiBoarder (cah2020). Seems that her name (which is very similar to mine) traces its roots back to O'Hanlon as well!

:D Now, what is the entymology (sp?) behind Goodbole???
    Pete,
    What a Pity! I never thought that you can be a Girl !
    I had heard the name of tennis player Pete Sampras so, I thought
    Petes are Boys!
    Regarding Goodbole.
    It has two mistakes.
    One is One of the two" O"s ( don't know exactly which!) , which I
    made while typing while registering at OB. It's to be Godbole

Two is..
    It means, God = Sweet, Bole =Talker,
    I Don't belive our fore fathers were not like me and deserved that name!

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs down ouch

Now, what is the entymology (sp?) behind Goodbole???
    You're confusing two words - etymology, which is generally used to refer to the origins and development of linguistic forms, and entomology, which is the study of insects.

...which may explain why I have such a hard time following the rest of this thread. When did you become a girl?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

No, I haven't become a girl...

Alas, the current pic in my avatar is not me, but my wife- Debbie. With Valentine's Day approaching...

As to the word etymology, that's why I put the "(sp?)" after my original usage... I had a feeling I was adding a letter in there somewhere (I was probably doing just what you suggested, morphing two words together).

Finally, don't worry- no Valentine's Day limericks will be coming from me! The only thing that raises enough passion to drive me to verse is football and politics!
    ;)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation

Re: No, I haven't become a girl...

Finally, don't worry- no Valentine's Day limericks will be coming from me! The only thing that raises enough passion to drive me to verse is football and politics!
    ;)
    What about hunting and gun control?

Occupation
    Ok, I'm going to blatantly rip off Pete's idea! :)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Now the question is, will Marlena or Deb buy the line "But I did get you roses, honey... just look on-line!"

(I'm not counting on it...) ;)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier OK you guy are one up on me

Pete, Steve, Jo and all you who have created great Avatars. How in the heck are you doing that?

:bbg: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Jerry,
    All you need is a scanner, and an animation program. I use a scanner and bring the images up in Corel PhotoPaint. After resampling the image(s) down to 64x64 pixels (the largest currently allowed), I load the images on to a program called "Animation Shop 2" (a shareware program available for free over the internet). The program allows you to vary all sorts of things about the animated .gif (how long the images last, how they transform, etc.).

I also grab pre-made avatars from the web from time to time, and then animate them to combine images (that's where the roses came from in my current avatar). Just go to your search engine (I use www.altavista.com) and type in "avatars." There are a few sites with hundreds and hundreds of options.

One note, you have to be somewhat conservative with the effects on the avatars. Currently, you can't have an avatar bigger than 16k (although it would be splendid if Steve were to expand the permissable size). This generally allows you 5 or 6 pictures (or transition frames between two pictures).

Have fun! If you really aren't in to animation stuff, send me two pics you like in an email (eyesite@nettally.com) and I'll be happy to animate them and send the .gif back to you (just not this week, cause I'm off on holiday for a week starting tomorrow).
    ;)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Like Pete said. :D The graphics programs I use are PhotoImpact and Ulead GIF Animator.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Steve and Pete

Thanks,
    I'll try some of these ideas and see what I can come up with.

:D Jerry

Occupation
    I'll give it a shot,

lets see what hj thinks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

There goes the tall dark and handsome myth....

I was just about to post a question concerning the permission to copy Pete's instructions into the Q&A forum of Optiboard Info when I noticed Ian's post.......There goes the tall dark and handsome myth......but I must say my Maria's Lilac Optiboard shirt came out well, as did the "paddy" hat Ian gave me. Now.......if I could only figure out how to get that from this thread into my profile, I'd really feel as if I had accomplished something.Alas it will have to wait until I have more time.
    Ian, you continue to amaze me! hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up hc

It's really good to put a face with the name. Maybe we should have a separate forum for names and faces.

:cheers: :bbg: Jerry

Occupation

Thumbs up

Steve, Your new avatar is great. Very flashy

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: There goes the tall dark and handsome myth....

Originally posted by hcjilson
    Now.......if I could only figure out how to get that from this thread into my profile, I'd really feel as if I had accomplished something.Alas it will have to wait until I have more time.
    Harry,
    When we both get the time i'll be more than happy to stop by the ol shop and give you a hand. :)

Thread Information