Thread: AR Stripping...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

AR Stripping...

Hi guys and gals!

OK...long story, short...

1. pt gets new glasses.
    2. pt would like to have peeling AR removed from old lenses.
    3. pt aware of potential problems with removing AR, but would like to move forward anyway....

OK, now for the question. I've stripped the AR and am now looking at clear lenses with faint "scratches" on them (looks like it might be the beginnings of crazing). I think I'm at a cross-roads here...if I keep stripping, I'm afraid I'll put the lenses out of commission completely...any thoughts??

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper You will love it..................

Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    .......................................(looks like it might be the beginnings of crazing). I think I'm at a cross-roads here...if I keep stripping, I'm afraid I'll put the lenses out of commission completely...any thoughts??

.......having been in AR stripping since it ca be done with an in house stripper..........................

and talking of my own product, you go on stripping, until the hard coat is gone including the scratches. You then will be faced with a virgin uncoated CR39 lens that will present itself like new and without scratches.
    This might take an hour or two, but you will love the end result.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    .......having been in AR stripping since it ca be done with an in house stripper..........................

and talking of my own product, you go on stripping, until the hard coat is gone including the scratches. You then will be faced with a virgin uncoated CR39 lens that will present itself like new and without scratches.
    This might take an hour or two, but you will love the end result.
    Thanks, Chris!

I'll move forward and go for the gold!! :) (hey, if nothing else, it'll be a good learning experience! :))

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by heather a View Post
    thanks, chris!

I'll move forward and go for the gold!! :) (hey, if nothing else, it'll be a good learning experience! :))
    if the lenses are plastic!

Occupation

Redhot Jumper such good logic Lenny.................

Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post

if the lenses are plastic!
    such good logic Lenny...............she said she stripped and there were some scratches left........................if it would have been glass or poly or high index there would be a milky surface.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I find if you rub the lens in the solution it speeds up the process of removing the coating. Don't forget to wear some latex gloves though !

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I concur with optic.ian...I've also taken a piece of Kleenex or Q-tip and soaked it in the stripping solution, and gently rubbed the remaining AR layer off. I had more success doing that, than letting it sit in the AR for 3 hours until it was all gone.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Neutralize......................

..........and after you removed the hard coat you will have acid residues in the pores of the lens surface. These can interfere with any other lens treatments you might want to apply, and should be neutralized in special chemical bath.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    such good logic Lenny...............she said she stripped and there were some scratches left........................if it would have been glass or poly or high index there would be a milky surface.
    I knew I am the best!

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    Hi guys and gals!

OK...long story, short...

1. pt gets new glasses.
    2. pt would like to have peeling AR removed from old lenses.
    3. pt aware of potential problems with removing AR, but would like to move forward anyway....

OK, now for the question. I've stripped the AR and am now looking at clear lenses with faint "scratches" on them (looks like it might be the beginnings of crazing). I think I'm at a cross-roads here...if I keep stripping, I'm afraid I'll put the lenses out of commission completely...any thoughts??
    You can do this safely yourself. Just soak in Greesed Lightening overnight. Wipe with paper tiwel that next day.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

update...

Whoa Nelly, that took forever!!!!!!!

I don't know what kind of scratch coat was under that AR, but it was on there like white on rice! Anyhoo...I got 99% of it off, there is still a tiny bit on the nasal side of the lenses, and it ain't gonna budge! :D

The lenses are better than they were, and I figure, if she is unhappy, I'll make her a pr of SV reading at no charge. She mentioned wanting a pr just for reading, so that might just work out. ;)

It was a good experience, though....I will make a note to try rubbing the lenses next time! Thanks to all for the tips! :cheers:
    Just as a side note: Could someone tell me if the lenses had been poly and turned milky, would leaving them in longer have helped? Also, do you think that I left them in too long to begin with....is that why the coating underneath crazed?

PS...yes, the lenses were plastic (sorry, should have mentioned that in the first question, see what happens when I try to keep a long story short! :o.)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    You can do this safely yourself. Just soak in Greesed Lightening overnight. Wipe with paper tiwel that next day.
    I've heard that before, just couldn't remember the product till you just mentioned it....Have you used it on all materials?

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Greased Lightning does wonders for cleaning tile floors! We used to pour it in the mop bucket when I worked in the deli at a grocery store. Didn't take much either :)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was stripping a pair of high-index lenses with AR for a patient that were so scratched they were hazy when he was wearing them. He ordered a new pair with a good AR coat (not like the LC crap he had gotten). He asked if I could do anything with the lenses. I took off the AR coat, but was having problems with the scratch coat. I found a quick easy way to remove it. It was stubborn as could be, but I used a magic eraser and rubbed the lenses. Came off easier than anything else I had tried. I would soak in the stripper for a few minutes, then rub with a dry magic eraser. I repeated a few times, and had the scratch coat off in 20 minutes. There were still a few mild scratches, but they looked MUCH better. I gave him the glasses and let him know there were a few scratches still on the lens. He was so happy, especially since I didn't charge him (he spent about $450 for a new SV pair). He's referred two new patients to us that we've seen because he was so happy. This was about two weeks ago. I never charge to strip the lenses. They sign a release for the lenses, and when the lenses look like new, most come back for exams and/or glasses.

It's an awesome feeling to fix up glasses people think are a lost cause!
    "You can't think about it, you just gotta let your brain do the work....."
    my dad

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Helping customers................

Quote Originally Posted by jcasowder View Post

It's an awesome feeling to fix up glasses people think are a lost cause!

Congratulations....................this is one of the best, nicest and most valuable statements I have seen on OptiBoard in the last 7 years.

Thread Information