Thread: Swine Flu

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Swine Flu

How's it hitting you other people?
    We've had four deaths from it locally, and one of my opticians was out for a week with a confirmed case.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file melvilletim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

flu

9 deaths confirmed in Dallas County. Both my boys got it this week. Both are ok. Sporadic school closings also. Pretty widespread. Freind of ours works at a childrens clinic locally and normally have 3500 pt's a week. Last week they saw 14000.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I wonder how many cases are being reported that otherwise would go completely untallied except for the hype that's prompted the "influenza" of panic that's swept the nation and caused people to show up at the doctor when they would normally have stayed home.

Don't get me wrong - death is tragic and that so many kids and elderly have been hit is horrible, but when have you heard of a flu that DIDN'T affect children, pregnant mothers and the elderly? My girlfriend's 4 year old daughter contracted it last week and appears to be on the mend. This is coming after a fairly chronic battle with recurring pneumonia, so yeah - we were pretty worried.

We've had several billboards in our area that show a large photograph of a hen, caption reading, "Pandimic flu - are you prepared?". The billboards have been up for 2 years and appear to be playing on the worry of avian flu. Odd circumstantial (and convenient) timing, considering the current push for reform.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I had a mild case of it (confirmed) but only missed a few days work. There have been others locally, but so far nothing really serious.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our local paper indicated that there was 1 death in the area due to the swine flu, but also said that they weren't giving details on who or where because it was a child.

So, I haven't seen much, however I talked with a local nurse that works in the intensive care unit at one of our hospitals and she says that she is seeing a fair amount of it already, but thankfully, the majority are on the mend, and don't get as far as her unit.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My two-year-old had it a few weeks ago, and sailed through it just fine. One of the gals in my office, all three of her boys (all teenagers) have had it. It wasn't any fun for anyone, but they're all okay.

When we took my little boy to the Dr, they tested him for Type A flu, and when that came back positive, they had to take another sample to send to the state to test for H1-N1.

I've heard plenty of reports of lots of kids missing school (even if it's just for two or three days), and half the class being gone at once. Oklahoma is a state of many allergens, and asthma is unfortunately kind of common. It's these kids that are really at risk when they catch the flu. I saw on the news this week of the first child death in the state. Back in the summer, I did think there was just a lot of hype over just another strain of the flu. Thousands of people die from regular flu every year. But this does seem different, how it is kind of "targeting" kids and teenagers. I personally haven't known any adults who've had it yet.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Hen n Pig

Fell in love. Kissed. Both died next day. Post mortem reports Hen died of Swine Flu and Pig due to Bird Flu ! India cought infections from people coming from abrod. Now its better. We found that road accidants, malnutrition and other viruses attribute more deaths than H1N1.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    7 H1N1 deaths in Jacksonville, FL.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They're not testing for it here unless a patient is hospitalized. The H1N1 cases are generally milder than the typical seasonal flu and seems to be of shorter duration.

Thread Information