Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian soldier jailed

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Canadian soldier jailed

2 young reserve soldiers, best friends, are serving in Afganistan. In the recklessness of youth and bravado, they are practicing "quick-draw" in their tent, with a loaded firearm, when it goes off, killing one of the two, a young man in the prime of his life. The other soldier was just found guilty of negligent homicide, and sentenced to 4 years in prison, demotion, and dishonorable discharge. This young man had an exellent record in the military and in civilian life, has suffered beyond words with guilt and remorse, and has faced the consequences of his actions as a man and a soldier. Without minimising the tragic consequences, isn't this a harsh sentence for a young man for a lapse in judgement in a far away land under difficult and stressfull circumstances? Civilians routinely get lighter sentences for far worse crimes than this, committed intentionally.
    I'm all for tougher sentences for criminals, but in this case, justice needed to be tempered with mercy.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Harsh?

Whether he "meant it" or not, he killed a man. I do not see this as harsh in any way. The remorse and tremendous suffering he is going through is nothing to the suffering of the dead soldiers family. I think he is getting off light. I have not seen civilians getting a lighter sentence in my area. This is certainly a tragedy, and I wish the young man well, once he has completed his time. He is fortunate.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yeah, i'm going to hav to agree with the last poster,in fact my first thought on reading the OP, was - he only got 4 years?
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Apparently that's the minimum sentence for that crime. And since they were so highly trained it does seem negligent.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1306698/
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm just suprised to find out Canada has an army. (ducks):cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ask the other young man's family if a four year sentence seems harsh.
    I think not. In four years he will still be a young man, get married, have children, grow old. Get it?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    I'm just suprised to find out Canada has an army. (ducks):cheers:
    They do? Do they ride those horses over in the desert?

Are you sure they were in the Canadian army, or were they Canadians that had joined a real army of another country?:D:D:D
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You guys, I know you are kidding, but I have had friends who died in the Canadian Army and they were fighting your war. So you know, think a little next time

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    You guys, I know you are kidding, but I have had friends who died in the Canadian Army and they were fighting your war. So you know, think a little next time
    I promise I won't joke about any of your friends.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    and that is cool and I know you would not

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    I'm all for tougher sentences for criminals, but in this case, justice needed to be tempered with mercy.
    It was.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    2 young reserve soldiers, best friends, are serving in Afganistan. In the recklessness of youth and bravado, they are practicing "quick-draw" in their tent, with a loaded firearm . . . . .
    Proving again that stupidity knows no national boundary.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It was a stupid accident, and it was negligent, but it did occur in a far away land under conflict conditions, but, at the end of the day, the soldier could indeed have unloaded the firearm. It appears most of you support the sentence, and consider it appropriate under the circumstances. The young man has appeared during his trial in uniform, and does appear to face his consequences, something so few people do.
    I hope the young man can put his life back together after his release.
    What a price paid for being young and reckless.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Payday

It was a stupid accident...
    I hope the young man can put his life back together after his release.
    What a price paid for being young and reckless.
    The other young man was involved in the poor judgement. He also paid a higher price for the act. Sorry, but they were both trained and there is NO excuse for what happened. A civilian would have had poor judgement, and accidents happen all the time, but these were trained...

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Agreed. The sentance is deserved... This is not just an accident, its gross negligence by two people who should have known better.

It could have been prevented by 2 grams of wisdom.

Banned
    Occupation
    Hey **** ant! We been saving your asses for fnkin ever. Bout time you showed up! You need to give a bit of thought.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    Hey **** ant! We been saving your asses for fnkin ever. Bout time you showed up! You need to give a bit of thought.
    Could you please cite a single instance in which Canada was directly threatened and the U.S. "saved [its] ***"?

It seems to me that to quite the contrary, Canada has arguably never been directly threatened in any meaningful way by any foreign adversary, and yet has participated as a faithful ally in many of the U.S.'s military activities.

In fact (someone better versed in Canadian history please correct me if I'm wrong), I think the last country to have physically invaded Canada may have been... the (nascient) United States, in 1775.
    Last edited by shanbaum; 10-11-2009 at 03:10 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    could you please cite a single instance in which canada was directly threatened and the u.s. "saved [its] ***"?

It seems to me that to quite the contrary, canada has arguably never been directly threatened in any meaningful way by any foreign adversary, and yet has participated as a faithful ally in many of the u.s.'s military activities.

In fact (someone better versed in canadian history please correct me if i'm wrong), i think the last country to have physically invaded canada may have been... The (nascient) united states, in 1775.
    wwii

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    wwii
    BZZZZZZZZZ

I'm sorry, but that's incorrect! Jay, tell him what he could have won.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    BZZZZZZZZZ

I'm sorry, but that's incorrect! Jay, tell him what he could have won.
    Actually, early in the war, there were German U-boats in the St. Lawrence, but they only sank a few ships and did not set foot on land in Canada.
    Sooooooo, they weren't invaded by anyone.
    Unless you count John Candy in Canadian Bacon.:bbg::bbg:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    there was also the 1812 attempt attack on Canada (British) by Americans during the War of 1812. The war just extended to our territory.

Truth is, Canada got involved in WWI and WWII due to our allegiance to Britain. We were never really threatened (though I think we can conclude that in the long run, during WWII we could have been threatened. Depends on Hitler's and Japan's thirst. We got involved in Korea because we wanted to support our friends, the US. We got involved in the first Iraq war because we were helping our friend, the US. We got involved in Afghanistan, because we wanted to help our friends capture those who did what they did on 9/11.

But what do I know, I am only a pissant

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tell me this. Any American. Be honest.
    Did you know 40,000, thats FOURTY THOUSAND Canadians volunteered and joined the US army and served in Vietnam?
    No, I didn't say 4, 400 or 4000, I said Fourty frikkin thousand Candians put their lives on the line, in support of their American brothers.
    I don't give a rats *** about who thinks they're saving who, when the chips are down, 40,000 men stood up and went to war in a faraway country for no other reason than they wanted to stand and fight shoulder to shoulder with our closest ally.
    I have never met an American who knew this fact.
    I admire Americans greatly, but your perceptions of our military history need some real work. We did our share in both global conflicts, and far to many Canadian dead are buried throughout the world to have anyone suggest we did'nt.

"We are preparing for a battle tomorrow against devil-soldiers. We are going against the Canadians."

excerpt from a German battlefield diary, circa 1944

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Tell me this. Any American. Be honest.
    Did you know 40,000, thats FOURTY THOUSAND Canadians volunteered and joined the US army and served in Vietnam?
    No, I didn't say 4, 400 or 4000, I said Fourty frikkin thousand Candians put their lives on the line, in support of their American brothers.
    I don't give a rats *** about who thinks they're saving who, when the chips are down, 40,000 men stood up and went to war in a faraway country for no other reason than they wanted to stand and fight shoulder to shoulder with our closest ally.
    I have never met an American who knew this fact.
    I admire Americans greatly, but your perceptions of our military history need some real work. We did our share in both global conflicts, and far to many Canadian dead are buried throughout the world to have anyone suggest we did'nt.

"We are preparing for a battle tomorrow against devil-soldiers. We are going against the Canadians."

excerpt from a German battlefield diary, circa 1944
    Oh, I agree with you, and I did know that, just not the exact number in Nam.
    Gemstone is another matter, don't bother trying to educate him.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Banned
    Occupation
    there was also the 1812 attempt attack on Canada (British) by Americans during the War of 1812. The war just extended to our territory.

Truth is, Canada got involved in WWI and WWII due to our allegiance to Britain. We were never really threatened (though I think we can conclude that in the long run, during WWII we could have been threatened. Depends on Hitler's and Japan's thirst. We got involved in Korea because we wanted to support our friends, the US. We got involved in the first Iraq war because we were helping our friend, the US. We got involved in Afghanistan, because we wanted to help our friends capture those who did what they did on 9/11.

But what do I know, I am only a pissant
    I suppose the Brits and Canadians could have won that on their own. My apologise to my Canadian friends.

The Canadians got involved in OUR war for some reason. Either they felt they had something to gain or actually felt a threat of their own. Some of my fellow Americans believe whatever the US does is wrong. My old Army reserve unit lost two soldiers just last week. Being a now activated civil affairs reserve unit means all soldiers are more or less local.

The US is willing to take the lead in the fights with the talaban and the likes of Sadom Huesein. Perhaps you will see first hand what happens when the us does not, if they chose to allow Iran to actually develop a nuclear bomb.

Just the way you said "your war" offended me. It always will. You can kiss my red, white and blue foot, along with any of my countrymen that feel the same!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Occupation

The US is willing to take the lead in the fights with the talaban and the likes of Sadom Huesein.

I for one feel much safer that we're no longer giving them weapons.

Thread Information