Thread: Nasty cruddy nosepads just want sympathy!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Nasty cruddy nosepads just want sympathy!

How many nasty, disgusting, heinous, green caked, mucky, yucky frames have to cross my path every day! It really makes me ill!! The worst part, they didn't even buy them here or usually this decade either. I'm the only optician in my office so I needed to vent and beg for sympathy!

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honey, I am right there with you. At my very first optical job I had my first stabbing accident (yeah, it didn't take long). I was putting (or taking out?) a nosepad screw, and slipped, and the screwdriver went up under my thumbnail. It left behind a bit of face cheese!!! I thought I was going to pass out. If ever I stab myself still, I stop what I'm doing and go wash with soap.

Just this week I had a particularly nasty set of glasses that actually made me cringe while I adjusted them. I've done this for long enough that it really takes a lot to make me lurch, but these were really, really bad. I just wonder, don't these people see how gross are their glasses? Maybe the high hyperopes, but come on! If you wore the same underwear every day, you'd wash them every now and then, right?

It doesn't make them any less gross, but sharing about it makes it easier. It's good to know you're not the only one disgusted. :)
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

If you ever see . . . .

a green nosepad with a bubble on it be very, very careful!! I had one of these puppies explode on me while trying to change it out. Good thing I was in the lab so the patient couldn't me discussing his hygene habits!!

Good luck to you!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Framebender View Post
    a green nosepad with a bubble on it be very, very careful!! I had one of these puppies explode on me while trying to change it out.
    :cheers:

Are you certain it was a nosepad?:D:D:D:o
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If I have to do something like that, I like to go out and show the customer the grossness while wiping it away with a napkin. Then I suggest they just take the glasses into the shower with them. Water won't hurt them and they have a chance to keep cleaner that way.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post
    If ever I stab myself still, I stop what I'm doing and go wash with soap.

soap? don't stop at soap, it's called alchohol, and not kind fezz like either. mmmm the sweet sweet feel of sterilazation.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do that, too. I just didn't want to get in to a long description of my sterilization process. I keep alcohol soaked squares handy, and I'll wipe off my skin with them, and then I'll keep any tools I've used aside, and wipe those down, too. I've gone as far as to hose down the door handle to my fix-it room, and the chair where the patient sat (after they're out the front door). If I've got a hygenically-questionable patient, I'll keep aside whichever frames they try on to wipe them down, too.

Anyone ever watch Monk? He's my hero. :D
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's good on a piece of toast!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I try to head off problems when I dispense new eyewear. I explain that nosepads can be replaced when needed and mention it is free since they bought their glasses from us. I also tell them they can use an old toothbrush and a little mild soap to clean them if needed.

If I get a gross pair as I am cleaning and replacing them I tell them how they can clean them at home.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    After my 17 years in the dental lab working with people's old nasty dentures, nothing on glasses bothers me much. Have seen a few that gagged my coworkers, though. I've always taken my specs apart and cleaned them periodically, even before I was in this business.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have handed back a few pair to the patient. If I can't find the notch of the screw or the screw itself for that matter I can't replace the pads. I suggest they might want to take an old toothbrush and some soap, give them a scrub and bring them back. Nose pad gunk I have learned to stomach for the most part, it's the skin flakes and the bloody ones after a fall that make me want to hurl.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    I have handed back a few pair to the patient. If I can't find the notch of the screw or the screw itself for that matter I can't replace the pads. I suggest they might want to take an old toothbrush and some soap, give them a scrub and bring them back. Nose pad gunk I have learned to stomach for the most part, it's the skin flakes and the bloody ones after a fall that make me want to hurl.

Ugh! In my first job, someone brought in a very bent, very bloody pair of glasses. They wanted us to check the Rx to see if they belonged to a guy that got hit and killed a block away. He was one of our patients, and yes, they matched.

Three weeks later, someone else brought in a similarly bloody and destroyed pair for us to fix. Turns out he and his wife were driving on the interstate and hit a deer. The buck came through the windshield, and his antlers pierced his wife all the way through and pinned her to the seat. Unfortunately the buck didn't die instantly, and he and his wife were pretty battered by it's hooves until it expired. She survived and totally recovered.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We change nosepads for free. I do not, however, clean green caked on crud for nothing. The pads are free, the cleaning will cost you 10.00. Or, if they've been walking around with a big cheese cake on their glasses, they can keep it.

PS- we keep a box of latex gloves for this purpose.
    Last edited by KStraker; 10-02-2009 at 07:13 AM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You call yourselves obstetricians and cant handle a little crust?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for feeling my pain everyone!!!! I typically don't see anyone but elderly patients, so I have to hold my breath and drop them in the ultrasonic. But I just hate hate hate having to dig it out with q tips and other objects because I refuse to use my tools, they are my friends and I won't expose them to that type of abuse lol!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

just read your post

yeah, you know people see this on their glasses--surely----I had a woman bring her kid in who got hit in the face with a soccerball and messed up his glasses---must have just happened or mom just didn't bother to even look at 'em before she brought to me---they still had bloody scabs on 'em--
    then a few months ago I had this older guy come in---there was gray hairs sticking out everywhere in his nosepads---dont know if he was putting up in his hair or if they were from his unibrow---

Thread Information