I would like to begin this thread with a few observations and opinions........

First, I would like to say that I have read probably a couple hundred posts tonight, both in the general discussion and in the ophthalmic optics forums. I am excited about learning tips / tricks/ information /insight from the numerous experienced individulas that post here

Secondly, I would like to say that there does seem to be a slightly aggressive and/or demeaning view (by some) of optometry as it pertains to the optometrist's ability to properly understand, implement, and execute many ophthalmic optics and dispensing principles. I know that the knowledge possessed by many on this board is vastly superior to mine, however, I do wish to say on my behalf at least, that I realize where the "bread and butter" of optometry is, and that I consider my knoweledge of optics and or dispensing to be very good, and getting better by the year. That led me to the following:

How much of this knowledge by everyone has been acquired via experience vs. on the job training vs. classwork/education, and as a followup, which method of knoweledge attainment provided the most relevant information and skills to everyday opticianry and dispensing?

It seems to me that no matter how much I learn from all of my fancy overpriced textbooks, with their pretty illustrations and lengthy author pedigrees, I always learn something not mentioned in the books by "doing". As such, it seems that I am in for a few years of "oops"s, "awww craps"s, and "uh-oh, I don't think that's supposed to do that"s.