Thread: Computer progressive recommendations?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Computer progressive recommendations?

Patient needs a computer RX.

Currently OD -.50 -1.00 x 80 5^out
    OS +1.75 sph 5^out

ADD: 2.50 ou

Would like to use Shamir office but only 10 mm left above seg ht., also I could not do Autograph in everyday RX due to a 4^ prism limit. Haven't used many computer specific progressives even though 30 years in the biz. Any suggestions. Patient doesn't care about distance too much for this pair so height probably not too much of an issue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Biggest struggle you may find is that most "computer" type progressive lenses are available in only plastic or poly. With that kind of prism, you may also be limited by manufacturer. Have you called your lab manager to see what's available or suggested for that Rx? In the case of the Shamir office (or Prio for that matter) in order to maximize the flexibility of the lens design, you'll want a MINIMUM of 16 below and 13 above pupil center. If the patient chooses a smaller frame, you will want to counsel them on what they may or may not see. I know you mention that the distance isn't crucial - but it's always best to educate and inform your patient as to the proper frame to fit the LENS...and not the other way around.

Bets of luck!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can attest to the fact that the Shamir Office lens is a very forgiving lens (my lab told me this after I screwed up). I unfortunately cut my boyfriend's lenses about 5mm too high because I did not comprehend the edging procedure on these lenses (I do now). I took them home, crossed my fingers and..... he loves them.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That prism is going to give you a hang-up, huh? I've used a lot of the Sola Access, but the limit of prism is 4D. I was just told this morning of Essilor's new computer lens, the "Essilor Computer" (how creative). But my tech sheet doesn't say anything about prism. It's too bad they don't make the Liberty anymore. Although, I don't know what the limit of prism was on that lens. . .

Good luck!!! Let us know what you come up with!
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My bet would be that the prism isn't a problem....so long as you ONLY order it in CR-39!! :drop:

Nothing burns my butt more than to be forced into the absolute thickest and one of the heaviest lens options for the Rx's that need thin and light! :hammer::hammer::hammer: That seems to be the case with the lens makers these days sadly...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper No progressive................

Want clear good vision on your desk with a computer do not even thing about progressive lenses until you want to make a load of money.

A good ST 28 or St35 will be a much better choice, specially with an add of 2.50

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Computer Progressives

Patient will probably not like a FT 28 - 35. She has had double vision all her life even with this amount of prism. I have her in Readers, Progressives currently. Her office is busy as she is Chief of Staff for a Senator. Lots of traffic coming and going. So she needs some distance but not beyond 7- 10 feet. Also frame choices and fit of frames do not allow me the luxury of more than 10 mm above the fitting heights. So far so good with what we have made her but she really wants a cosmetic fashionable look at work. Her frames she wears include, Prada, Judith Leiber, Brendel, Chanel reader. Etc.
    I am just looking for a progressive design with primary focus on Intermediate, some reading little distance. It would seem with most baby boomers using computers this would be an in demand item and was hoping someone out there had some depth of experience in fitting these. I am going to consult with my Lab today. I use Luzerne for most of my uncut work. I will take in to advisement any pointer or concerns about these lenses. BTW the patient does fine in Polycarb lenses. So at least i have one thinner option.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Update after lab conversation

Shamir office non freeform is the recommendation. Available in Poly, fit at normal fitting cross. He suggested using +1.75 and decentering 1.5 mm in form normal dist PD's. This should give good intermediate minimize distance and the decentering is due to Prism. Were gonna give it a try.

Thanks for all your input. I'll do a follow up post let you know how it works for patient in a few weeks.
    :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    My bet would be that the prism isn't a problem....so long as you ONLY order it in CR-39!! :drop:

Nothing burns my butt more than to be forced into the absolute thickest and one of the heaviest lens options for the Rx's that need thin and light! :hammer::hammer::hammer: That seems to be the case with the lens makers these days sadly...

The worst thing is that often your only option instead of CR-39 is Polycraponate.:D:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eye.guy View Post
    ...Also frame choices and fit of frames do not allow me the luxury of more than 10 mm above the fitting heights. So far so good with what we have made her but she really wants a cosmetic fashionable look at work. Her frames she wears include, Prada, Judith Leiber, Brendel, Chanel reader. Etc....
    This seems to be a growing problem in optics, pushed in no small part it seems, by many of the chain stores, big boxes & here today - gone tomorrow outfits across this great US of A. Simply sacrifice optics for fashion.

And regardless of what your lab suggests, they can't change the fitting height or design of the lens - that's up to Shamir in this case. And they designed it to be fit with 16 down and 13 up. Minimum. Have you talked to your Shamir lens rep about your options as well? That may be worth the phone call.

There isn't a dispenser here who I'm certain hasn't had one of those patients before. The difficulty however is that optics, and currently manufactured lens designs do not always allow for the vanity factor and still afford decent optics. What your patient thinks she wants, and what her glasses will actually be able to achieve may be two very different things. In this case, I would make sure she is WELL advised as to precisely what her fashion choices will mean for her optical experience.

18 year old eyeballs just ain't in the cards for this patient anymore sadly. ;)

Just wondering...how much do CoS for US Senators make these days anyway? I could never even dream of affording all those expensive designer frames. Ah - my tax dollars at work! Hooray! :p (time for a career change for me perhaps!)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hoya Tact is available in both CR39 and 1.60.
    RT

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    There ya go! 1.60!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information