Thread: Superbowl Picks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Pete Hanlin

Now a St. Louie fan I am not,
    and Warner is no friend of mine,
    But Faulk and company are undeniably hot,
    So I'll wait next year for my COLTS to shine!"

They took a good first step towards next season today!

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Originally posted by Sean
    Good poem,
    But i dont think the pat's deserve such a wide spread(31-13). I'm also betting it will be a low scoring game. I dont think either team has a chance to get up to 31.

There IS ONE outside chance of the PATS winning and hitting 30 points. It would only happen if they get a 14 nothing jump on a fluke play or if Pittsburh botches it. Like may a Kordell INT ran back for the TD.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sorry to be so long in responding!

Pete, you are, indeed, a man of many talents.....unfortunately prognostication may not be one of them.I must, in truth, observe that you are 3 for 4 at this point.Monday will be a better indicator.I will also observe that you are not leaving much up to chance.

Night Train, there are a LOT more ways the Patriots could pull this off. Eleven on offense and Eleven on Defense.I have tried to point out the major difference between this team and teams of the past.This team plays together.They feed off one another, and they act as a unit.They do whats best for the team.That began with the coach who against all reason to the contrary placed the second stringer in charge.The coach took a leadership position and gave the team a leader on the field.The team has responded in kind, even the displaced quarterback is helping his replacement.They have been acting as one for most of the season.

The Patriots won't win this game because of a fluke on the part of Pittsburgh, they'll win it because of a team effort.Should they lose it, that too will be as a team.

Those of you who watched the Oakland game seem to remember only the "fumble/forward pass" thing.You should also remember that the Raiders failed to stop the Patriots when they could have prevented the tieing (45yd) field goal.They also failed to stop Patten on his fouth down run for the first down which put Venateri in position to kick the winning field goal.The Raiders didn't lose that game because of a bad call they lost it because they didn't score enough points. The Patriots won it....fair and square.
    My prediction is also a low scoring game with the field goal kickers making the difference! hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Remember 1986!

The Pats made it to the Superbowl as the wild card team! How - I still don't know! I do know that they are much better this year than back then.

The spread is up to 10 points! I think (and Hope) the Pats could win it all. Yes and even beat the Rams!

We have been waiting too long up hear in New England!

I am a true New England fan. So if they don't win ! In the true New England spirit I'll be back to tell you how much the Pats SUCK!

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Night Train

There IS ONE outside chance of the PATS winning and hitting 30 points. It would only happen if they get a 14 nothing jump on a fluke play or if Pittsburh botches it. Like may a Kordell INT ran back for the TD.
    Even though i would like those odds i still don't think it will be a high scoring game. But still............there's nothing wrong with wishful thinking. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Sorry to be so long in responding!

Originally posted by hcjilson
    This team plays together.They feed off one another, and they act as a unit.They do whats best for the team.That began with the coach who against all reason to the contrary placed the second stringer in charge.The coach took a leadership position and gave the team a leader on the field.The team has responded in kind, even the displaced quarterback is helping his replacement.They have been acting as one for most of the season.

The Patriots won't win this game because of a fluke on the part of Pittsburgh, they'll win it because of a team effort.Should they lose it, that too will be as a team.

Those of you who watched the Oakland game seem to remember only the "fumble/forward pass" thing.You should also remember that the Raiders failed to stop the Patriots when they could have prevented the tieing (45yd) field goal.They also failed to stop Patten on his fouth down run for the first down which put Venateri in position to kick the winning field goal.The Raiders didn't lose that game because of a bad call they lost it because they didn't score enough points. The Patriots won it....fair and square.
    My prediction is also a low scoring game with the field goal kickers making the difference! hj
    Par for the course harry,my feeling's exactly. GO PATS !

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Mikef

I am a true New England fan. So if they don't win ! In the true New England spirit I'll be back to tell you how much the Pats SUCK!
    There gonna win ..........so it looks like you won't have to do that. ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I know its only half time but.....

I know its only half time but.....I noticed Ian was online and I've no time to write 2 messages so this is it!14- 3 New England which is a sure indication that the TEAM showed up to play.Its no indication of what the final score will be but it sure is an indication that the New England TEAM is for real!To all you non believers out there, If they make it to New Orleans.......you will watch a group of individuals who have been to the bottom. rise to the top by sheer intestinal fortitude.If they don't make it today.....they have been a wonder to watch thoughout the season and I for one,( knowing there are many out there) am proud of them.
    to Pete who started this thread, thanks for giving me the attitude that brought me back to watch the waning minutes of the Oakland game.
    off to the second half for who knows what......
    hj
    Lord Byron

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

"That's why they play the game!"

Pete fortold a Pat demise
    and a Steeler victory...
    But Foxboro fans now seem wise
    in this "Year of destiny!"

And now we wait to find their foe
    an Eagle or a Ram,
    To the Big Easy Harry'll go,
    the happy Patriot fan!

I had to speak at an Optician's conference till 4:30pm, so I missed the first game. One look at Bill Cowher's face (during the post game interview) when I walked through the door, and I knew there would be no reason to watch the game I had taped!

So, one of my brother's teams has already lost this weekend, we'll have to see if the other's team (the Eagles) can hold on to their precarious lead... Then I'll make my hilarious Superbowl prediction! (I TOLD you guys I was no good at this!)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: "That's why they play the game!"

Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
    And now we wait to find their foe
    an Eagle or a Ram,
    To the Big Easy Harry'll go,
    the happy Patriot fan!
    Ya just gotta love it . Off we go to the Super Bowl.Even though the pats won..........they sure kept the ref's busy with all the penalties. Looks like the Ram's so far........Go Pat's!!! :cheers:

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I'm going out on a limb but I think the Pats can do it

Go Pats

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Occupation
    My Wife thought the colts were playing I was so excited. I HATE the steelers and I LOVE to see them lose. Way to go PATS (My second favorite team is anyone who plays Pittsburgh)
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Well Pete......Its Monday!

Well Pete......Its Monday....and while your prognosticatory skills may have slipped, you are beginning to shine as a poet! Its a shame you didn't get to see the game.It was fun to watch and I'm not saying that because the Pats won.....it would have been a great game to watch if the Steelers had won.It sure was a show of the character of this years Patriots team.I was also happy to see Troy Brown get the recognition he deserved after not getting the nod for the Pro Bowl, but as he was quoted as saying last night, the only recognition he felt important, was the trust and respect of his team.Its off to the Super Bowl for them, and a rematch of a game played earlier in the season.I still like the Pats in this one!
    hj
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

This will GUARANTEE a Patriot Victory!

Before you Pat fans get upset with this prediction (which is my actual best guess on the outcome of the game), let me assure you that- by picking against the Pats- I have assured that they will upset the Rams this Sunday. So, here goes...

Rams 37 Patriots 10

The Rams special teams won't offer up 14 points like the Steelers did, and Warner, Faulk, and company will rack up yardage and points in a Superbowl that will be dull and lifeless before halftime.
    (Naturally, this means that in real life, the Pats will probably block three field goals, and return two interceptions for touchdowns in a total annihilation of St. Louis.)

One Snowy January evening,
    there was a pass to "NOBODY?"
    So the Raiders went home packing,
    and the Patriots on to Rivers Three...

Next week they took their "destiny" dreams,
    and visited a curtain of "iron."
    But a horrid Kordell and some special teams,
    made the curtain more like lace chiffon (okay, poetic license).

So now we visit New Orleans,
    I'll pick them to lose again,
    But win or lose, one thing will surely please,
    this awful poetry will finally end!
    :D

Naturally, I'll be cheering for the Patriots (because I always root for the underdog AND I hate to watch a boring SuperBowl... besides then I can say my team lost TWICE to the Superbowl champs)!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Bad address email on file

Big Smile Rams will win

The Rams have been the best team in football all year and will easily win the Superbowl. Who do you think will start at the QB position? I think they will go with Brady but I have to say that I was happy for Bledsoe. That fact that he has remained such a good team mate when it must of killed to him to stay a backup QB has really raised my opion of him as a man. I wish him luck in the future.
    (I've been wrong so far and don't want to jinx the Pats by picking them now):D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK. so much for that Battle of the Turnpike..................

Take Heart...Pat's Fans.....No team that has lost to our Headcoachless Suckeneers in the regular season has won the Super Bowl in the same year.

Please Pats...win.....no more Kurt Warner soup commercials,please!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think Brady will start also............or is that what we are supposed to think(like the rams)? From what i understand from the sports seg on the local news...... coach B went right up to both drew and tom after the win and told them not to discuss it just before the media caught up to them after sundays game. Seem's to make sense. I don't know if this meant to be a strategic move to keep the rams guessing or to cut down on the media hype as to who will actually start. To me they have both been very professional about this through out the entire season. So like all Pats fans (i hope) I say CONGRATS ! to drew,tom and the rest of the team . Win or lose this sunday every one has played as a team and for the team. IMHO They have done it with both integrity and sincerity ................just the way it should be ........for the love of the game. Go PAT'S :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok,
    It's just about kick off time .............does anyone have any opinions on tonight's game?

Occupation
    If I would have posted before the game, the ONLY chance I would have given the PATS is if they started the veteran Bledsoe. As you can now see, I apparently no absolutely nothing about football. (Hence, I cheer for the Colts) I can however make a great fart sound by sqeezing my hands together.....that must count for SOMETHING.

Congrats HArry....well done. The best game in a long time!:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper And quite a game it was.....

Well its Monday again......And quite a game it was!
    If you watched the game from the beginning you are aware of why and how they won the game.If the truth be known, it was all over after the introduction of the players.The Patriots chose not to be introduced individually, but rather as a team.To our delight, and to the delight of the many Patriots fans, the TEAM showed up and gave everyone who watched, the greatest Super Bowl in history.Some may argue that point, but I'll guarentee that last night's Super Bowl is the only one that has ever been decided on the last play of the game.

Hats off to the St Louis team for the great comeback to tie it up, but a bigger hats off to the team that didn't pack it in when that happened.The team who just took it in stride and got the job done.What an outstanding performance!

Needless to say there is a lot of joy around these parts this morning!

best from Cape Cod from harry j

PS the frosting on the cake.....I bought 2 boxes in the White Cliffs pool and won $250!!!!!!!
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Congrats, Pats!

The Rams came in one by one,
    the Patriots as a team,
    and when sounded the final gun,
    DESTINY was no longer a dream!

Till next year...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Bad address email on file

Big Smile

:D The Pats showed the value of teamwork should never be underestimated. The Rams may have had more talent but nobody had more heart!!!
    Tom

Occupation

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: And quite a game it was.....

Originally posted by hcjilson
    Some may argue that point, but I'll guarentee that last night's Super Bowl is the only one that has ever been decided on the last play of the game.
    Who needs OT anyway ................way to go Pats!!!!!!! :cheers:;):D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks Night Train!

That was a great article! Its the mystique of this years team explained and the fanaticism of the fans as well.I've sent that along to many friends this AM.What with the expansion draft coming along, and salary caps etc, this Patriots team will never play together again.Its kind of sad-but what a thrill they gave us this year.
    harry j
    Lord Byron

Thread Information