Thread: Need help with glare? problem

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Need help with glare? problem

Have already remade right lens for this patient . He can see great with it inside but in the sun he's better without.Original order was right lens only
    Rx -1.75+1.50x165 St-28 crown glass +2.50 add. 2nd remake was -1.25+1.75x005. same add. we referred to neuro Ophth and the current Rx is similar -1.25+1.50x015. The Dr recommended a UV filter. My local lab manager insists the UV filter will do nothing. Who's right and why.?
    I forgot to mention this pt. has a wrinkle in his retina. I would appreciate anyone who has an answer. I know he might benefit from polarized lenses outside and I also think photogray would help but there's the cost issue. Thanks, Bob

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is little that will cut glare better than the combination of a highly accurate Rx and a polarized sun lens with backside A/R outside. But it sounds like in this particular case, there may be much more going on than what the refraction or spectacle lenses alone can solve.

How clear is this patients media - really? Any cataracts? What is the exact state of his retina(s)? What are the pt's best corrected VA's? Is the patient monocular? What does the patient need the lenses to do while outside? Does your patient have a reasonable expectation of what spectacle lenses can and can't do - clear or sun?

There are a lot of questions here that need to be answered...and stopping with just the Rx or lenses alone will likely not be the end piece to the puzzle I fear. Dig a bit deeper, and see what you can find. Best of luck!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't know if they are still made but there used to be a couple of ST's made with some filters at the top of the seg for this problem. I have had a lot of this problem with ST plastic shades and found that if I frost the top of the seg line it goes away.

If you could find some old B&L panafocal blanks, you wouldn't have this problem either. Shame they aren't made any more.

Chip

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    Have already remade right lens for this patient . He can see great with it inside but in the sun he's better without.Original order was right lens only
    Rx -1.75+1.50x165 St-28 crown glass +2.50 add. 2nd remake was -1.25+1.75x005. same add. we referred to neuro Ophth and the current Rx is similar -1.25+1.50x015.
    It's important to know if they had the same problem (outdoor light sensitivity) with the old glasses. I'll assume that's a yes. Considering budget issues, I'd start with a polarized Fitover/Cocoon over the glasses. Demo these outdoors on a sunny day. Show both the brown and gray. If the problem remains, you might have to fog the vision in the right eye by adding more plus. I would only do this on a separate pair of Rx sunglasses (wrap) because the visual comfort under normal indoor lighting conditions seems to be satisfactory.

Hope this helps.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    It's important to know if they had the same problem (outdoor light sensitivity) with the old glasses. I'll assume that's a yes. Considering budget issues, I'd start with a polarized Fitover/Cocoon over the glasses. Demo these outdoors on a sunny day. Show both the brown and gray. If the problem remains, you might have to fog the vision in the right eye by adding more plus. I would only do this on a separate pair of Rx sunglasses (wrap) because the visual comfort under normal indoor lighting conditions seems to be satisfactory.

Hope this helps.

They have a new line called Vistana that wrap around the side without the little window frame. Better for unobstructed vision.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    They have a new line called Vistana that wrap around the side without the little window frame. Better for unobstructed vision.
    I think they look a little better too, although none of these over the eyewear type sunglasses look nice per se. Cosmetics aside, they offer a quick and inexpensive way to get a good light seal around the eyes. Lens quality could be better though.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What about the UV Filter?

Thanks for the input but what about the UV filter? Is it going to help at all? The new Rx was written with it.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    Thanks for the input but what about the UV filter? Is it going to help at all? The new Rx was written with it.
    Highly unlikely it will make a difference.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    UV filters are clear to the human eye. Completely invisible. They will do nothing to help with a visually perceived glare issue. UV protection is extremely important to include (on ALL eyewear dispensed in our opinion) particularly for patients: at altitude (anything above 2,000 ft is a good starting point), around water or snow, pilots, anyone who drives, anyone who works outside....pretty much, anyone with a pair of eyeballs in their head.

But the glare troubles are a different beast. Again - what is the medical history of the eyes in question. You mention some rather involved retinal history. What about cataracts as well? Any other issues with the patients best corrected VA's??? Has he completed any office glare testing?

Thread Information