Thread: Pof charges

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Pof charges

Hello all,
    Just curious and I would like to get a random sampling of your collective opinion on this matter. Do you currently charge patients a fee for using their own frame? And, if you do is it because of a pattern making fee. What if you have a patternless edger, do you still charge this fee and if so, why?
    Thanks
    Paula

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Patternless edger and do not charge for using POFs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If patient purchased frame from us, no charge. If patient purchased frame elsewhere, $20 charge.

I may not be making a pattern anymore, but I do replace my patternless edger every 7 years and they are not getting any less expensive to purchase and I don't work for free!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Here at the lab we have a $1 charge, mostly for cleaning the old frame.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kaypaula View Post
    Hello all,
    And, if you do is it because of a pattern making fee. What if you have a patternless edger, do you still charge this fee and if so, why?
    Thanks
    Paula
    We often charge if it is a new frame that was purchased elsewhere. We charge $15. Why? Because we need the money.

At our downtown store, we have a lot of Cartier and other designers that customers "friends" "buy" for them. We charge a $50 SFC (Stolen Frame Charge). We never have anyone complain, and they all pay.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I just do it no charge. It is about building LONG TERM clients. Do them a favour this time around, and they remember it. Usually you have to understand their reasoning for doing so. It is not always about being cheap.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Usually you have to understand their reasoning for doing so. It is not always about being cheap.

That's very true. You have to take it on a case by case basis.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I just do it no charge. It is about building LONG TERM clients. Do them a favour this time around, and they remember it. Usually you have to understand their reasoning for doing so. It is not always about being cheap.
    You do?

I thought that you were out of the business?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    You do?

I thought that you were out of the business?
    when I was in the business. And my former business still does it that way. Believe it or not, you do not forget all of your experience immediately after you leave. No matter how many beer I have.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We used to charge when we had to make a pattern but since the advent of patternless edgers why would we charge them unless it is a drill mount? Cleaning? Well that isn't a bad idea but if the frame is that nasty we won't use it anyway. The amount of patients using their own frame is up this year we expected it and we'll live through it. We aren't going to penalize people further in this economy and besides there are a few Walmart and LC employees that refer to us simply because our lab can do what theirs cannot or will not do.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We don't charge, but the "Stolen Frame Charge" is really cute.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We don't charge for POF's. We will even replace nosepads and temple covers at no extra charge. We even don't charge for drill mounts, just trying to be a little bit more customer friendly and create a competitive advantage.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

re: POFs

Besides for drilled rimless, I charge a fee if the frame is especially nasty or if it needs some serious straightening or if it appears it's going to somehow be a PITA. I do it on a case-by-case basis.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I do a lot of sales because I don't charge for a POF frame and my competition does. You would not believe how much that $5 charge irritates people. Even though my lens prices are much higher, people don't care... they just don't want to pay something that seems like a ruse to get them to buy frames. I will sell lenses only all day long and enjoy it even more when their entire family comes back next year to get frames and lenses.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I did have one yesterday, a chord mount that the patient had tried to fix with superglue. Had to re-groove by hand with a dremmel. I made out a bill=
    Repair frame N.C.
    Remove super glue=$10.00

Chip

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    From the financial point of view it will not effect your net profit but a few rupees, if that - it is economically insignificant. However from the marketing point of view it might have a significant effect on your practices image. It's far better, in the long run, to be seen as that nice warm fluffy place rather than that old skinflint joint.

Hey, it’s your practice. Build it in your own image and likeness.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    From the financial point of view it will not effect your net profit but a few rupees, if that - it is economically insignificant. However from the marketing point of view it might have a significant effect on your practices image. It's far better, in the long run, to be seen as that nice warm fluffy place rather than that old skinflint joint.

Hey, it’s your practice. Build it in your own image and likeness.
    Very well said.

I think, not as boldly in this thread, but sometimes we get riled up by seeing the time we spend here and there and how much of your time it takes, that we tend to charge out of spite than anything. We have to look at how those spiteful decisions are perceived by our clients.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Patternless or not, there is still labor involved and the risk you may have breakage.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do not charge for POFs we enjoy the profit of lens only jobs and hopefuly they will come back and purchase a frame from us next time...why should you punish them because they didn't buy it from you? Give them a break and maybe they will return. Gary

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyChief View Post
    Patternless or not, there is still labor involved and the risk you may have breakage.
    So taking $30 in elevates the risk of breakage? Instead, express the concerns upfront and be clear that you are not at fault of breakage.

As for the labour, I bet the cost is a lot more fixed than we talk about here. So it takes 5 extra minutes to work with that job (which is on the high side). Are you paying someone to work for those 5 additional minutes, or are you just making someone busier for the time that they are already there?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We don't charge for POF, but we do have them sign a waiver in case of breakage.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we also do not charge, but have the pt. sign a waiver, then most deside to get a new frame, and while they are thinking about it I like to plant the seed that you have your glasses on everyday, and it is the first thing people see when they see you, and if it is a female always good to get in the conversation about compairing the cost of a pair of shoes you may only wear once or twice cost over $100.00 getting your hair done monthly over $100 you can go on and on but then they say you know when you think of it that way I do want a new frame, and most of the time they get multi pair try to make them think of them as accessories , and when they have really nasty dirty glasses explain to them in a nice way about hygiene, and that works most of the times, but you still have to go back to case by case sometimes also, if I do not want to sell the person something then I do say we charge, in hopes they go down the street, sometimes you can just tell it is not worth the money to deal with them

Thread Information