Thread: Relocating To Florida

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Relocating To Florida

Hello, I am relocating to the Tampa area, and needed some guidance. My certifications include ABO and COA, I really enjoy both professions, but need some help in where to focus my direction for growth in Tampa. To become licensed or continue study for the COT, What is involved for sitting for the board and what would be towards my advantage between choosing one or the other? I am not getting any younger so a little insight would be appreciated. Thank You, Deborah

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I lived there I probably couldn't work for a living. The Water, the fishing, etc. is far too good to waste time working. Would probably have to have an office with a boat slip adjacent and an arrow pointing to the slip with a sign that said: "If the boats here, he's working."

Lucky you,

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Florida is EVIL! Last time I checked, if you are coming from a non-licensed state, regardless of your experiance or credentials (ABO, etc...) you must aprentice for 3 years before even being allowed to sit for the state test. New York ius this way too. I'm in Minnesota, and there is no license to be had here. I have a former collegue, who with 15 years and ABO in hand moved to New York, only to be allowed as an aprentice. He had to move back because on an aprentice income, he couldn't afford to live... Florida is the same way. If you come from a license state, that opens the door...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    actually, If you're moving from a licensed state you dont need to apprentice. If you're moving from a non-licenses state you have to show proof of work as an optician for 5 years prior to taking the test.

Check with POF.org

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uberoptiker View Post
    Florida is EVIL! Last time I checked, if you are coming from a non-licensed state, regardless of your experiance or credentials (ABO, etc...) you must aprentice for 3 years before even being allowed to sit for the state test. ...
    Under any method of qualification you must be currently ABO and NCLE certified.

As braheem24 says you are eligible if you have worked in an unlicensed state for 5 of the last 7 years or if you have been licensed and worked in another state for 3 of the last 5 years.

Alternatively you may have an AA degree from an accredited opticianry school or have apprenticed for a period that is about equal to 3 years of full time work.

Here's a link that has the details of eligibility.

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/opticianry/ap_exam.doc

Scroll about a quarter way down the document under the heading

FILLING OUT THE OPTICIANRY EXAMINATION APPLICATION

and subheading

Eligibility Data:

Good luck.

Gary

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Welcome to Tampa!

Hi Deborah,

I'm in Tampa, would be happy to talk with you via phone or meet with you when you move here.

The previous posts are correct: current ABO, NCLE, an AS/Opticianry Degree, or apprenticeship in FLA or another state, varying times, depending on if opticianry is licensed or not.

*shameless plug for our optical program*

At HCC/Tampa, we offer courses in advanced dispensing, CL, and Refractometry. And, every 1 credit hour counts as approx. 86 apprentice hours, should you do a hybrid college/apprentice time.

*shameless plus over*

Also, our profession organization (www.pof.org) is top-notch. There are many networking opps to help you settle into the optical community in Fla.

: )

Laurie

Thread Information