Thread: reg rose k lenses

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

reg rose k lenses

dear chip,
    here is one for you in specific and other practioners in general,
    what are your experiances with rose k lenses for irregular astigmats. specially kconus.
    do we change the current rgp user to rosek
    any thought and suggestions are welcome

sunsign

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bottom line on cones, is you need a rigid lens that:
    A: Has a vault or at least a brush only centrally.
    B: Rest mostly on the mid area of the cornea without impenging on circulation.
    C: Centers well enough to see through.
    D: Has a good circulation of tears.
    E: Has at least some movement.

If patient's lens meets all of the above criteria I wouldn't change anything. If not re-fitting is indicated. Rose K is a good design although I haven't used it much, and when I have I have obtained a trial set (as I would on any cone fitting) and just slopped lenses on until either an optimum or near optimum fit (which I could give changes to the lab on) and refract with trial lenses over.

The actual name brand or even the material doesn't matter too much. As long as you are familiar with one method (design) and get good results, what more can you ask? Soper cone is OK, lens of your own design is OK, Rose K is OK, as long as it works and does no harm. Another concideration is that if you use a particular lab and they are familiar with design X then that's probably a good one to use.

Another comment, is I have had and seen relatively poor results with all soft lenses for cones.

Chip

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used Rose K lenses a number of times and got the same results Chip does. An acceptable fit a majority of times from a stock fitting set, and often a very good fit from the same set. I still used a "feather-touch" fitting philosophy, and never saw any central scarring resulting from such a fit, although cone progression has to be monitered at reasonably frequent interevals.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Bottom line on cones, is you need a rigid lens that:
    A: Has a vault or at least a brush only centrally.
    B: Rest mostly on the mid area of the cornea without impenging on circulation.
    C: Centers well enough to see through.
    D: Has a good circulation of tears.
    E: Has at least some movement.

If patient's lens meets all of the above criteria I wouldn't change anything. If not re-fitting is indicated. Rose K is a good design although I haven't used it much, and when I have I have obtained a trial set (as I would on any cone fitting) and just slopped lenses on until either an optimum or near optimum fit (which I could give changes to the lab on) and refract with trial lenses over.

The actual name brand or even the material doesn't matter too much. As long as you are familiar with one method (design) and get good results, what more can you ask? Soper cone is OK, lens of your own design is OK, Rose K is OK, as long as it works and does no harm. Another concideration is that if you use a particular lab and they are familiar with design X then that's probably a good one to use.

Another comment, is I have had and seen relatively poor results with all soft lenses for cones.

Chip
    Dear Chip,
    thanks a lot for the opinion.

as you siad i am not familiar with the lab dealing with rose k lenses. but the lab i am dealing with are giving me good lenses for cones hence i think i will stick to rgp instead of switching over to rosek.

other queries
    1.whome do you not prescribe piggyback lenses
    2. is there any age limit for rgp(my youngest pt is 6yrs old he is following up with me for the last 5 yrs . i fitted rgp at the age of 6 for the pt he is a progressive myope when we fitted him now his myopia is stable ) any contraindications or any better ways of arresting progression in yound pts other than rgp

sunsign

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You won't like the answer but PMMA is a better progression suppressor.
    No age limit at either end, have done same from 6 wks to 98 yrs.
    Of course management and getting parents/child to stick with the program is less likely happen the younger the patient is.
    Parents seem to tire of the program all to often and then bring the patient back at early teenage stage having been without CL's for years and then you can't get the acuity back (at least in juvenile aphakes).

Chip

Thread Information