Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone thinking of the online optical store's big impact on our traditional retail?

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Anyone thinking of the online optical store's big impact on our traditional retail?

One of the big reason I participate in OptiBoard is that I want to discuss above question with all of you eye care people.

Believe it or not, the online optical stores are booming. You can see from the hot group discussions in Ira's GlassyEyes.com. According to my rough statistics, only ZenniOptical, the biggest online eyeglasses reatiler so far, takes about 2500 pairs of orders throughout the country EVERY DAY from their website, this is almost 1% of the total consumption of all the prescription eyeglasses in US (suppose the annual total sales of 75 million pairs).

No one can say 1% of the whole country's business is small business! I remember about a month ago, Essilor called on all the ECPs in US to embrace the new technology to let part of their business online, or there will be further headaches.

CNET's author Rich Broida wrote about Zenni earlier this year, is this good for country's optical industry? Rich's article is here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10219745-58.html

What do you think?

My thinking: being earlier aware of the matter, taking earlier action, the better!
    Last edited by Firmoo; 09-14-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

The information of another online retailer of eyeglasses

Another online eyeglasses retailer, Coastal Contacts, reported it reached 1 million Canadian Dollars in July, 2009. Estimated from the average selling prices from its website of around 100 dollars, they are also selling about 300 pairs of prescription eyeglasses a day to the consumers mainly in US, not to mention other countless number of smaller online retailers.

Source from: http://www.easevision.com/we-could-n...-any-more.html

Occupation
    Optometrist
    There are always going to be consumers that try online products and services, like "LegalZoom.com".

Hey, maybe for a few circumstances it makes sense. But not that many.

Online retailing will exist, but it won't be any different than buying drug store readers...cheap crap for people who don't give a darn about their eyes.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Firmoo should really join the Professional Forum, he(?) would get better responses there.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think 1% of the total optical business is HUGE

But I think 1% of a single store's loss is minimal

You have more threat of a Wal-Mart, Lenscrafters, Hakim, or any other Brick and Mortar competitor opening up in your region stealing your sales than Online.

People want to see, feel, touch, and try on their frames. Only a small amount of very price sensitive people will use the online eyeglass channel.

Just ask Suit and Shoe stores.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Somehow this reminds me.....

A couple of decades ago, I went to Everglades City, deep sea fishing. The group other than myself was entirely retired opticians older than myself (there were some back then) and one senior ophthalmologist.
    Most past B&L people.
    To a man they all said they had retired because they couldn't stand to dispense the crap they were forced to use today.

Chip

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I fully agree 1% sales reduction for one store is really minimal. But the point is that by today, only very limited end users know of these online optical stores. I read in one forum thread, one consumer swore he will never use the local optical store again to buy eyeglasses any more. The price difference is not only 10%, 20%. The difference is up to 90%, but the quality is really very similar.

<Wholesale prices removed.> The eyeglasses dispensed by the local stores in US are also from China mostly, they are just 2 dollars, the factory's export price.

I predict those online stores will eat up the market in faster pace in the coming years. When the whole sales from online stores share an 10% or 15%, it will cause diaster for the industry. I hope this is not alarmism.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Firmoo View Post
    I fully agree 1% sales reduction for one store is really minimal. But the point is that by today, only very limited end users know of these online optical stores. I read in one forum thread, one consumer swore he will never use the local optical store again to buy eyeglasses any more. The price difference is not only 10%, 20%. The difference is up to 90%, but the quality is really very similar.

<Wholesale prices removed.> The eyeglasses dispensed by the local stores in US are also from China mostly, they are just 2 dollars, the factory's export price.

I predict those online stores will eat up the market in faster pace in the coming years. When the whole sales from online stores share an 10% or 15%, it will cause diaster for the industry. I hope this is not alarmism.
    How much of the market do you think online sales of sunglasses possess? Very little. But it has been around for 10 years.

Same with suit and shoe sales.

There are some products that are natural for the web and there are some that are not. Glasses will be sold on the net. Glasses sales will most likely grow on the net. But they will never be a significant threat.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yes, the glasses sold on the net will for sure grow in the coming years.

For shoes business online, it is not small now. The biggest online shoe store Zappos was just purchased by Amazon in July 2009 for US$847 million. I do not have figure for suit business.

The online sunglasses, yes, I agree the share is very little. The reason is that the average retail prices from the stores in US is only US$20. So common people can buy and get a pair of sunglasses at 20 dollars easily. While the online price of designer sunglasses is only 20-30% cheaper than brick and mortar stores.

But the case for online prescription eyeglasses is pretty different. The average price for a pair of very normal eyeglasses is about US$200, while the online store can sell at US$20 with the same or similar quality. This is the reason why I predict the case of eyeglasses will be different.

Occupation
    Yes, the glasses will be sold on the net will for sure grow in the coming years.

For shoes business online, it is not small now. The biggest online shoe store Zappos was just purchased by Amazon in July 2009 for US$847 million. I do not have figure for suit business.

The online sunglasses, yes, I agree the share is very little. The reason is that the average retail prices from the stores in US is only US$20. So common people can buy and get a pair of sunglasses at 20 dollars easily. While the online price of designer sunglasses is only 20-30% cheaper than brick and mortar stores.

But the case for online prescription eyeglasses is pretty different. The average price for a pair of very normal eyeglasses is about US$200, while the online store can sell at US$20 with the same or similar quality. This is the reason why I predict the case of eyeglasses will be different.
    It is all on how people shop and buy their products. I did my Master's thesis on online buying. I ready tonnes of research papers on it. For some products, people still want to see, feel, touch their products.

Think about your clients. You carry a frame, but only have one colour. You tell them you can show them the other colour. Their response to being shown the colour is that they want to see it in the store, in their hands and then on their face, before they buy.

This is the shopping habits that we HAVE to understand.

This is why these other products have not taken off, where millions of others have.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Eyeglasses' online business has been lagged behind other products. This is partially because the traditional feature people buy glasses (people need to try on, feel, touch, see the frames, etc), also because people never consume the eyeglasses in the same way as clothes, shoes and jewelry, and other fashion items as the prices of eyeglasses are too high, so people need to take special look and carefully choose their eyeglasses.

Now the cheap yet high quality eyeglasses make it possible for people to own 10 pairs for different occasions, making the eyeglasses a real fashion item. To buy eyeglasses online, as long the vision quality is perfect, buyers can tolerate a lot on the fit and adjustments. This sounds funny, but it is true for some people.

If you have interest, check Ira's blog and its forum at GlassyEyes.com

Occupation
    But not a lot of people want 10 pair of glasses and take the risk of buying junk online. And even if they did, how would you counter it?

I think people now know they can buy online. I think they have made it clear that it is not an option for them.

Clearly Contacts advertises on tonnes of websites I got to, and newspapers. You have to listen to what people want in eyewear. They are making it clear that, even at $20, the online eyeglass environment is not for them.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I do agree some consumers will not choose to buy glasses online. But as entire demand is so high, I believe these demand can be enough to fuel the business of a couple of websites.

Clearly Contacts + Coastal Contacts is achieving 1 million C$ in total in July. This is pretty good growth.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are so concerned about it, how about you join the Pro's forum where you will get a bit more participation?

Many simply don't respond cause they dont' want to have this conversation in public. Where any CONSUMER can read and think either we are high on the hog, or down in the basement...
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Last edited by Firmoo; 09-15-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hey Firmoo, is this a "push poll"?

If you think you can serve humanity with online specs, why not open a website and have at it?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Hey Firmoo, is this a "push poll"?

If you think you can serve humanity with online specs, why not open a website and have at it?
    You're assuming he hasn't...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of the big reason I participate in OptiBoard is that I want to discuss above question with all of you eye care people.

Believe it or not, the online optical stores are booming. You can see from the hot group discussions in Ira's GlassyEyes.com. According to my rough statistics, only ZenniOptical, the biggest online eyeglasses reatiler so far, takes about 2500 pairs of orders throughout the country EVERY DAY from their website, this is almost 1% of the total consumption of all the prescription eyeglasses in US (suppose the annual total sales of 75 million pairs).

No one can say 1% of the whole country's business is small business! I remember about a month ago, Essilor called on all the ECPs in US to embrace the new technology to let part of their business online, or there will be further headaches.

CNET's author Rich Broida wrote about Zenni earlier this year, is this good for country's optical industry? Rich's article is here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10219745-58.html

What do you think?

My thinking: being earlier aware of the matter, taking earlier action, the better!

Hey Firmoo

Maybe you are a **** ???
    Also an ******* ???

If the following link belongs to you , then you are....
    Shame on you !!!!!

And I won't give you the pleasure of having a link here :
    w-w-w.************

Just hope the present thread will be removed, as alll other ones concerning that online glasses junk. Because YES, these websites use OB to promote themselves. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::ang ry::angry:
    Last edited by Comma; 02-15-2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: dead thread

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Comma!! If Steve can establish a connection, I think this thread should be deleted. This has been a purely misleading self-promotion.

Unacceptable by posting guidelines.

In order to post items and services for sale in this forum, you will need to first purchase one of the OptiBoard Subscriptions available in under Paid Subscriptions in your User CP. After this, you can post in the Optical Marketplace forum.

Please identify all potential conflicts of interest clearly. If you are commenting on an issue or product that you have a financial interest in, you must identify this relationship.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just type it in, you'll see by yourself. without the "*"

Simply said : the ***************

Here we call that kind of person a "*********"

I'm sure Mr Chris Ryser and some other Optiboarders can translate this.
    Last edited by Comma; 09-24-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Sorry, please delete this whole thread.

Sorry, if my thread mislead or offend you all, please delete then. I did not say any single one word to premote myself. I put this matter as the newly emerging one to discuss with you all. To be frank with you, OptiBoarders are really not our target. our target is those frugal people who also need clear vision.

If I am a liar, what am I lying for? I really think we need to embrace the new technology, as the new technology really brings us convenience and wealth as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your website is in New York, not Calgary, Alberta.
    Not saying what you do is a ********.
    And ******* you are, since you didn't reveal your real intentions first.

It is quite normal that optiboarders are not your target, most of us are real professionnals with high standards. *********. We don't sell glasses using approximative measurements and we ajust our patients correctly. And we answer their questions. And we offer warranties. And so on....

Isn't New York a licensed state ? Are you legal ? Are you an optician ?

About technology : are you talking about online sales ? Is it what you call technology ? Computer ? Real technology in optics ABSOLUTELY needs to be present to our patients and takes precise measurements and takes a lot of decisions, after talking to the patients for their needs.

Wealth to all of us ?
    What about vision health ?
    You're a danger to your customers.
    And you don't present the real facts about vision and eyeglasses to your customers.
    Probably because you ignore them.

Do me a favor please, write on your website : "I know nothing about vision and eyeglasses, but I'll provide you some for very cheap"
    Then we'll see if you make any sales, by just telling the TRUTH to your visitors. Would you do that ?

Enough rant for tonight ....
    Last edited by Comma; 09-24-2009 at 04:10 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hey, Comma, thank you for your rant till so late at night. I appreciate your reply. It has been a constant fight between ECPs and online retailers, so I understand why so many rude words have been employed.

I have emailed the administrator to delete this thread personally. Optics is of course technology, internet is also even newer technology which we need to embrace. For any new emerging demand, as long as the buyers say yes, as long as the buyers feel contented, this new market will then stand there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, Comma, thank you for your rant till so late at night. I appreciate your reply. It has been a constant fight between ECPs and online retailers, so I understand why so many rude words have been employed.

I have emailed the administrator to delete this thread personally. Optics is of course technology, internet is also even newer technology which we need to embrace. For any new emerging demand, as long as the buyers say yes, as long as the buyers feel contented, this new market will then stand there.
    As long as you tell the truth to all of your visitors, I can live with that.
    Want unsure quality or service, unprecise measurements, badly fitted frames, maybe headaches or blurry vision, unverified lenses and so on ? But cheap ? Take a risk ? Go for it ! But live with it.
    But you don't unfortunately.
    Then it would be a fair fight.

Internet is a real problem.
    No laws or ethics applies.
    Our governments slowly realize the mess we are in.
    And it's only the beginning...

Good night late bird !!! :bbg::bbg::bbg:
    Last edited by Comma; 02-15-2010 at 01:08 AM.

Occupation
    HA!!! No wonder why Firmoo could not get my argument. He has everything to lose by seeing the reality of it all.

Thread Information