Thread: What happens after OAA leadership conference?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question What happens after OAA leadership conference?

Hi Everyone,

I think the OAA leadership conference is a great meeting. But what effect does this conference have on management of OAA and the decisions at the executive level of OAA? If we look at the history of past conferences a lot of positives came out of the meetings but things were different at the National convention.

Jerry Sherman

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We're all going into this conference with a positive attitude and a desire for change and improvement. How about we wait for the meetings to end before we start making predictions on the future...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up No predictions were intended; Only awareness

Judy,

I was not trying to predict the future only making everyone aware that the good that come from these meetings should not be forgotten in a couple months. I am not able to make the meeting because of work related issues, but I know that the delegation going from Ohio has great ideas to present. As a Star Wars fan I can say to all that are attending "Let the Force be with you".

:) Jerry Sherman

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Commitment

Judy,
    I noticed your byline with interest. I think commitment starts at the local level and branches out where time and location permits. I have been the Central division President of the Opticians Association of Ohio for 4 years. A voting trustee, education chairman, vice chairman of legislative committee and chairman of the Save Our Sight grant committee of the Opticians Association of Ohio for the last 8 years. I have been a past president of our local Lions Club and am currently a Board of Director of Prevent Blindness Ohio. I was selected by ABO for the ABO Exam development workshop in Washington DC in the early 1990's. Your post byline reminds us of what we should all remember that action accomplishes great things. My post is a reminder of that same principle and that history is our teacher unless we change it. All of you attending the leadership conference should go into those meetings and listen to EVERY!! attendee. Demand action of our OAA executives toward those particular objectives derived from the break-out meetings. A national association should not have major players like Florida and New York not represented. Let's look at history and benefit from past mistakes.

Jerry Sherman

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I was selected by ABO for the ABO Exam development workshop in Washington DC in the early 1990's.
    I attended a couple of those workshops in the '90s as well (one where we wrote questions for the ABOC exam, one where we worked on the domains for the ABO-AC and one where we wrote/selected questions for the new exam)... perhaps we've bumped into each other somewhere along the way!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jerry,
    I have every reason to believe that this Leadership Conference will resemble no other ever held. First because it's grass roots driven as opposted to organization driven. Second because at least one of the big non-member states, Florida, taken a very active interest from the very beginning. Third because OAA is in the perfect position to be reinvented, reorganized and rejuvinated. As usual, we will deal with some ego-driven issues, but the core committee is united in its vision for the future of Opticianry.
    I'm sure we'll keep every one posted and I'll make one more plea to those state leaders who have not registered. We need you and your ideas and your commitment to move forward. If you can get to Charleston, get there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Pete

I remember Roy Ferguson being in the workshop with me. It must have taken place in April or May. We drove up to Washington from Myrtle Beach.

Jerry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie Judy that sounds great

Judy,
    That is music to my ears. I'll be anxious to hear from you after the meeting.

Jerry

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

Originally posted by Judy Canty
    I have every reason to believe that this Leadership Conference will resemble no other ever held. First because it's grass roots driven as opposted to organization driven.
    Judy,

Who are the folks at the Leadership Conference. I don't mean specifically "who are they" but rather what type of folks are they and to the best of your knowledge how many states are represented there?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Judy is right this leadership is a grass roots meeting and has been planed by state leaders and not the adminastration. The conference is only as good as it attendes ideas and participation.
    it is up to those who attend to get involved and move the ideas forward, we con not come to a meeting express ideas and then walk away from those ideas and expect others to carry on and make them happen. we must make them happen as a group.
    good luck to all those going to charleston and lets see our profession move forward and please stay active and help it happen.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I expect to see Opticians from all over the US who are already involved with their state organizations, as well as Executive Directors from these state organizations. At this juncture, I'm not sure how many states will be represented, however I do know that Florida will be there after a long absence and that is very encouraging. I will be there as part of the planning committee, as a representative of the Opticians Association of VA, and reporting to the conference on behalf of the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation.
    I do this out of my own pocket, actually my husband's pocket until I make a profit over here, because I believe it is vital to the well-being of Opticianry as a profession.

Now, how many OptiBoarders will be there?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Judy

Take notes on the conference and bring it back to post in a forum. We all look forward to great changes.

Jerry

PS Say hi to Tom

Thread Information